Fantasy Friday

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By hugssandi
  • 1 Post By BoyerMom
  • 1 Post By ImVictorious
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 2 Post By feythful
  • 1 Post By bajars2531
  • 1 Post By Brittanie
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
If you were given a million dollars and told that you could keep 25% of it, but had to donate 75% of it to charity (or charities), who would you donate to?

Would you spend the other 250,000 responsibly, paying off bills and improving your situation or would you spend it on something you've never had the ability to like a dream vacation or a collection of sports cars and boats?

Last edited by feythful; June 28th, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
June 28th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
St Jude children's center definitely

I don't have any cc debt so I guess I would just bank it
June 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would probably split it up and send it to many different charities. There are many that I like, but I would probably research it again to be sure of how the funds are broken down and distributed. There are some people around us in need that we would consider how to bless....

We don't have any debt either, save our mortgage. It would all go into savings, as we thought about what to do next. Our house is in need of repair, and right now we could use a vehicle that holds 8!
feythful and NCRG2010 like this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 28th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I'd probably have to split it between several groups that I love. Some of it would go to my church's local outreach and a few of the programs that help to feed low income kids during school breaks in this county and the surrounding counties. It never even occurred to me until I started teaching that so many of the kids might only get the 2 meals at school. I didn't think about what they do when school is out.

We don't have any debt, but we would probably use some to take a trip and the rest put in savings to fix up our house and pay to move to Colorado...should that ever finally happen.

June 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
BoyerMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I would probably split up the charity money. Some to local organizations and maybe some to groups that help supply drinking water to other countries.

I would definitely pay off my student loans, medical bills, put some away for son's college, and some towards a down payment for a house.....oh to dream.
feythful likes this.

June 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Super Mommy
I'd donate to this upward bound program here for low income youth. They take kids from the inner cities and visit colleges, and have overnight visits at some universities. Is a great program to expose kids to colleges, really gives them something to aspire too. I think they might've cut funding to it, that was a great program!
feythful likes this.

June 28th, 2013, 07:17 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Tithe 10% to some of the local churches and their missions
Spread the rest around between St. Judes and some other cancer centers (a few people in my family died from cancer, so it hits home) and even a no-kill animal shelter or 2

Our house is paid, but we're looking to expand a great deal (double the size), so pretty much the entire pocket of ours would go to a new house!

Man, I wish this were true
feythful likes this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
June 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I did think of my totally DREAMING desire: DOH! The site is GONE! My dreams are SHATTERED! It was basically a site of pre-fab yurts, and I had my model all picked out and everything. Here's a link to some of the ones that have been built: Flickr: The Mindful Living - Interior & Exterior Photo Gallery Pool I will share that I'm not sure my darling is totally on board with this, just as he wasn't a huge fan of my cob house dreams as well. :/

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 28th, 2013, 07:26 PM
After looking at those photos, I told Jeff I want him to build me a yurt in the backyard of our dream house as a home school room.
ChicaChels and hugssandi like this.

June 28th, 2013, 08:09 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would absolutely give it to a domestic violence shelter. The rest I would use to pay off my stupid student loans and buy a car.
feythful likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Um, St. Jude's was definitely what came to mind first.

I think we'd pay off Matt's student loans and the little bit of credit card debt we have. We'd put quite a bit into savings accounts for the kids. I think we'd probably put quite a bit into the downpayment of our new house (half of our amount, maybe?) so our new payments would be quite small.
feythful likes this.

June 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would pay off our house with the money. As for charity I would split it between our local children's hospital, a battered women's shelter and a local animal sanctuary.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we would donate to organizations that help teen moms with pregnancy, post partum lactation support, and finishing school. that's something so near and dear to me, for no real reason, other than i think anyone having a baby before they're at that right spot in their life should have all the support they desire, and so many teenagers girls get tossed out on the street by their parents it breaks my heart. i want to bring them all home and help them! i would also donate to the local german shepherd rescue..they've been totally lacking in funding lately for their fosters.

as for the rest? my husband would most likely want to buy farm ground, since it would be a constant return i would try to convince him to buy farm ground somewhere other than iowa so we could move
feythful likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 29th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
With the 75% I would first find one family similar to my own... Middle class struggling to make ends meet. Pays their bills, works hard, good parents, but just can't seem to ever come out in top and having a hard time. I would pay off all of their bills for a year, buy their groceries so they always had enough for that year, allowing them to save enough so they could maybe for once, get ahead and not worry. Then I would donate to our local St. Vincent DePaul society and out food pantry. They are so helpful. Then Here in Boston, I would help children's hospital, Dana farber cancer center and st, Jude's.
With my share, I would pay off everything I owe including my house , I would put a downpayment on a condo in naples Florida (is only about 10,000) and I would get a new house ( down payment) big enough for my mother in law to move in.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
June 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I would split the charity money between Dana Farber and the Jimmy Fund.

With the $250,000 I would pay off my student loans, put a lot of it towards bills, probably buy new cars, take a trip back to Hawaii, and put the rest of it aside for the twins' college.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search