14 week appointment - met with the OB

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I met with the OB that my midwife works with for my 14 week appointment today. It went a lot better than expected, and I think if I got stuck with her I wouldn't actually mind. Whew. So, I don't think I'll need to be switching providers. It sounds like she is going to let me continue to see the midwife, but she wants to see me also. She said that she really wants me to have a vaginal delivery, and that is the goal. She mentioned this multiple times during the appointment, so I don't think she's blowing smoke up my rear end just to keep me on as a patient. She also said she's old and in her 50s, so she will do the 2nd baby breech as long as the first is head down. So, also good news. Bad news is, hospital policy won't let me do water birth because of twins.

She wants me to come back in 2 weeks. I got scolded for not gaining any weight. Well, only 0.3 lbs. since last checkup. I swore I must have gained just based on my size.... but I guess my stomach is just getting bigger and I'm not gaining actual weight. I'm perplexed. Anyways, that's partly why she wants to see me again in 2 weeks...to make sure I'm gaining. She said to forget about "healthy eating" and think bacon and eggs for breakfast, milkshakes, high fat and high protein foods. I don't know what else to do though...I've already swapped 2% milk for full fat, and have even been using heavy cream in my cooking instead of milk. :/ I've been shooting for at minimum 2,500 calories a day, and have been eating more meat. What else is there? So...she wants me to gain at least 10 lbs in 4 weeks. Any advice on how to do this?!?! I eat so much as it is, I feel like a massive pig and its almost a struggle to eat that much.

She said she'd schedule my big ultrasound in 2 weeks. Well, she'll give me the requisition form and then I'll call them and set it up myself. So....hopefully I can get it earlier than 18 weeks. She said I'll be getting ultrasounds every 4 weeks after that, and then starting at 30 weeks I'll have testing every couple weeks. I didn't think to ask...but what kind of testing could that be? Non-stress tests?

Oh...and I am already measuring 20 weeks and my uterus is already up at my belly button!!

So...all in all a good appointment. I wasn't expecting 4 appointments this month though. This one, the one in 2 weeks, the midwife in 4 weeks, and the big ultrasound somewhere between those last two appointments. GEEEZ.

July 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
beautiful.mess's Avatar PhotograMommy
Send a message via AIM to beautiful.mess
Good news!

Married Chris on 4.7.2006
Mommy to Madison Mae 4.26.08 <3
and Sydney Paige 4.28.10
Poppyseed due 12.10.13
]
-Mark 10:6-9
July 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Glad you liked her and won't have to switch. I'm also glad that she's really set on vaginal birth if possible!

Wonder why the hospital has that policy about twins in the birthing pool. Seems arbitrary. Did she give you any reasons why they might have that policy?

July 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I'm kind of surprised your doctor wants you to gain weight (unless you're underweight). I was overweight pre-pregnancy and my doctor has advised me to go as long as possible without gaining weight because it will come on quickly at the end and there's no control over it. But having said that, I've been eating lots of carbs and high fat food and I've only gained one pound so far. I think with two, they really do take a ton of our calories. I would say eat lots of pasta, Ben & Jerry's, fried food, anything you want! I'd take advantage of it (but I love junk food).

My doctor told me that the increased monitoring after 24 weeks will mostly be ultrasounds to track their growth, your weight, and blood pressure.

I'm so glad your appointment went well and you seem to like the doctor. Let us know when you set up your ultrasound! I'll be having mine at 18 weeks 3 days and my doctor said that should be fine.

Very exciting!
July 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Super Mommy
Try McDonald's a couple times a week. Lol

Glad to hear your appt went well!!

July 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Unfortunately, I can do 2500 calories waaaay too easily, especially if you put some cheesecake in front of me

So glad you had a great appointment! I can't imagine so many visits to the doc/midwife, but it's great that you are well cared for and looked after and that they are encouraging that vag birth!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonH628 View Post
I'm kind of surprised your doctor wants you to gain weight (unless you're underweight). I was overweight pre-pregnancy and my doctor has advised me to go as long as possible without gaining weight because it will come on quickly at the end and there's no control over it. But having said that, I've been eating lots of carbs and high fat food and I've only gained one pound so far. I think with two, they really do take a ton of our calories. I would say eat lots of pasta, Ben & Jerry's, fried food, anything you want! I'd take advantage of it (but I love junk food).

My doctor told me that the increased monitoring after 24 weeks will mostly be ultrasounds to track their growth, your weight, and blood pressure.

I'm so glad your appointment went well and you seem to like the doctor. Let us know when you set up your ultrasound! I'll be having mine at 18 weeks 3 days and my doctor said that should be fine.

Very exciting!
Have you read the book When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke? It really explains the early weight gain in there. She actually advises 24lbs by 24 weeks. Apparently, in twin pregnancies, weight gain correlates with prematurity...less of a gain = more likely to deliver early, whereas bulking up early means you're more likely to go full-term, or close to it (full term for twins is 37 weeks). You should read it if you haven't yet...has some good info in there. She's like the multiple pregnancy expert.

It's interesting because my midwife did not recommend I gain much, but I think she's not up on the latest in twin stuff....and silently questioned that recommendation and threw it out the window. I started out slightly overweight, but even still, with currently guidelines I should gain 31 to 54 pounds. If I were normal weight or underweight I'd need to gain even more. The OB probably sees more twins than the midwife, and is likely more up to date.

I know for me, personally, in previous pregnancies.. I barely gain in the last two months...and tend to actually lose weight then. It's very strange. So if I'm not gaining now, what hope do I have to do so at the end (other than the babies and placentas growing and gaining)?

I can't say I've exactly been eating healthy....fast food a few times a week, eating out a couple times, etc. I'm making an active effort and it's not doing anything, apparently. I really thought I had put on a good 10lbs. at least, but the weight just must be shifting around....from fat to baby and muscle I guess.

Guess maybe i'll add a Ben & Jerry's pint to the menu each night. LOL. See if that helps.

July 3rd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Yay for a good appointment!

July 3rd, 2013, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you had a good appt & liked the OB. I understand feeling like your eating a ton (and I only have one in there!). I'm not used to having such an appetite.

July 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you had a great appt! Have you tried drinking like ensure or something like that? I was drinking them in the beginning since I was unable to eat much. Gl on the eating thing, I know it must be hard to eat more than you want to!
July 4th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ice cream, pancakes, put cheese on everything. I wouldn't necessarily do McDonald's. lol bleck!
July 4th, 2013, 10:56 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would honestly focus on eating healthy calories v lots of junk. Eating junk is good for weight gain, but its also going to increase the risk of things like pre-eclampsia.

But I'm super excited to find out what your babies are, and I'm really happy your dr is going to push for a vaginal birth!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 5th, 2013, 07:07 AM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
Do smoothies in between meals, they are mostly healthy and can pack a lot of calories. Especially if you can find a place like Smoothie King where they can add in protein powder. I LOVE them and they don't make me feel icky.

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search