Atticus Update ***long and slightly O/T***

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 07:15 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Today Atti had his follow up appointment with the doctor and it was mostly not a very good appointment at all so here are the things we talked about (although probably not in order I am pregnant my memory sucks.)

Weight: He is losing weight again a little over a pound which for most kids is not much but when you only weigh 20 at almost 18 months it is an issue. He also still is not growing and is stalled at 27 inches. To illustrate how tiny he is he was wearing 6 month pants to daycare today his height is less then 2nd percentile and weight just under 2nd he is SUPER small. Because he has had ear/sinus infections we are going to recheck in a month.

Ear/Sinus infections: Ears are clear, nose was clear but is reinfected. She is putting him on a stronger antibiotic for longer to try to wipe it out completely and going to try adding an allergy med that he would stay on long term. I hate medicine and the idea of doing the allergy med long term makes me sad but hey gotta do what we gotta do.

MRI: She gave me a copy of the report basically the suspected grey matter is in the frontal lobe. From what I have found on Google without going to far into the rabbit hole of scary things that can happen most often they cause seizures if anything and sometimes they don't cause any problems at all. I posted the actual MRI report in my playroom for him and another momma says her son has the same thing and does have seizures found on EEG. She was told it is possible it is caused by a lack of oxygen during labor and delivery. Atticus did have a very large decel lasting about 5 minutes while I was in labor so now I am going to bring that up. I also had taken videos and pictures to show her of his eyelids drooping and him zoning out during lunch one day last week based on those we decided to do an EEG before the referral to the neurologist. That is going to suck for me having to keep him awake from 2am until the appt when I normally fall asleep around 3-4. Thank goodness it is only one day.

And just because I believe in staying positive no matter how crazy life is with me and Atticus medically a couple quotes from my way to smart for his own good 5 year old...

I'm just a booger eater' he says

'Boogers don't go in tissues. Boogers are for eating because they are just a little juicy!' He says.

and "Mom When I was at Grandma's I had cherry pits going down my esophagus but don't worry the stomach acid will keep them from growing into trees." He went into great detail about the digestive process after that... I better get him registered for Kindergarten soon.

July 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for keeping us posted, as we pray and think about you and sweet Atticus! So sorry for the trial, so amazed by your positivity. I will be looking forward to your next appointment and update with hope....

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
July 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Lots of prayers!!

July 15th, 2013, 08:58 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Aww... your Nathaniel sounds like a smart and VERY curious little man!

Prayers for Atti. Poor little guy, he seems so sweet from the pics in your siggy. I hope this is something that is correctible! Maybe the infections are impacting his eating habits? You are doing everything you can, so keep up the good work!

Why do you have to keep him awake from 2am on? I can't imagine trying to do that with any of my kids, much less myself! That's tough.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 15th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran
Sending prayers your way fir tour little man!!
July 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Super Mommy
Praying for your little guy.

July 15th, 2013, 11:13 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm sorry you're going through this. prayers to your little man.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
July 16th, 2013, 12:00 AM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
Aww... your Nathaniel sounds like a smart and VERY curious little man!

Prayers for Atti. Poor little guy, he seems so sweet from the pics in your siggy. I hope this is something that is correctible! Maybe the infections are impacting his eating habits? You are doing everything you can, so keep up the good work!

Why do you have to keep him awake from 2am on? I can't imagine trying to do that with any of my kids, much less myself! That's tough.

After talking to his daycare teachers and baby sitters it sounds like he might just be a very picky eater. He eats almost everything I feed him but I mostly make things they have tried and liked so that is logical. I made food logs for everywhere he goes (home/daycare/my parents house) So that I can track how much he is actually getting while not in my care because 5 days a week he has dinner at my parents and 3 days a week he has lunch at school. If he is still losing/not gaining at the recheck I am going to see about having pediasure at daycare for him when he doesn't eat well at lunch so that will boost some of the missing calories. I am more worried about height than weight because he is starting to run and Nathaniel is a stick so Atti will probably lose his chub soon and thin out too.

The EEG is sleep deprived so he has to get no more than half his normal amount of sleep and wake up at two. I had a couple done a few years ago when I was having seizures (related to stress) and there is also instructions for what to eat/drink before the test like lots of protein 2 hours before. Basically it is to get your brain in a condition where it is most likely to misbehave. You go in really tired and then they spend a long time attaching all the leads to your head, they have you lay down and they flash a light at different paces until your so annoyed you want to rip all the gunk off your head. Then they let you lay there for a bit and just record for about half an hour while you are quiet. I seem to remember answering questions at some point but I was so tired I barely remember how I got there or home.

As for atti being sweet he is VERY sweet he is a lover/snuggler and a comedian. As for Nate he is bright and loves to learn and seems to have an almost photographic memory (when he wants to use it.) The esophagus stuff he learned from watching The Magic School Bus but he has always repeated random facts that he heard or saw it is amazing.

(Wow I babble when tired!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search