How far away are you?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2013, 03:47 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
From your OB/midwife?

From the hospital/birth center at which you'll deliver? (obviously, if you are planning on delivering at home, well... you're as close as can be! )

From your family or others who may help with kids (if you have any now) or with all the little things after the birth?

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I am *currently* about 770 miles from the hospital I will deliver at.

Truthfully, I have absolutely no idea. I'm about 10 minutes from my current OB's office and about 20, depending on traffic, from the hospital I WOULD have delivered at if I weren't moving.

Oh! I missed the last question. As for people who will help, I have NO IDEA. I'm sort of hoping my inlaws will come out for delivery/Christmas, that would reduce so much stress I'm having about this! We have no family in Texas. We DO have some friends 3 hours away in Austin, but who knows what they'll be doing the week before Christmas?

Last edited by Brittanie; July 21st, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
July 21st, 2013, 04:09 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am about 9 miles from my hospital/midwife. But I work right downtown which is about a mile away from there, so it would be kind of ideal to go into labor at work We will have either our neighbors or my sister take care of Caeden when we go in. Depends on what time it is. Neighbors are firefighter and a cop and they don't work 9-5 shifts--so if they are working then I will call my sister, who lives in Aurora, CO which is only about 15 or so miles from us.

Make a pregnancy ticker

July 21st, 2013, 04:33 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I am 45-50 min away from both my OB and our hospital, depending on traffic and the roads. I have crazy fast labors, so this is a bit of a problem

All my (our) family is at least 10 hours away, so we're trying to figure out how to get them up here. My mom said she'll just have everything ready to go from 36 weeks on, waiting for a call! I do have friends in town who can (and did) watch the kiddos, so I actually hope for a morning/day L&D. I'd hate to have to call them at 2 a.m. and then figure out how to get the kids to them. They live 15 min from us, and I don't have ANYONE in our subdivision whom I know/trust to come over in the middle of the night when the kids are sleeping. But, for 3 L&D's so far, we haven't had to deal with that at all!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I'm about 30-45 minutes away from my OB and hospital. This has been worrying me lately because if there is snow or if I go into labor quickly it will be a problem. But I just love my OB and the hospital so I dont want to switch. I wish I could plan the date to deliver but I dont want an induction! lol My family is closer to the hospital than I am!

July 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
From your OB/midwife? -- 15 minutes. 5 from work.

From the hospital/birth center at which you'll deliver? -- 15 minutes. 5 from work. If there is an emergency, I work across from a different hospital.

From your family or others who may help with kids (if you have any now) or with all the little things after the birth? -- None are near. My parents are driving down for Christmas. The closest family member is my Aunt who is 4 hours away.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
July 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
I live in a small town so I live about 10 mins away from the hospital

July 21st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I live about 20-25 minutes away from the hospital I'll be delivering at. My ob-gyn is across the street from the hospital.

My mom lives about 20 minutes from us and 5-10 minutes from the hospital. My dad lives 15 minutes from us. And my in-laws live about 10 minutes from us in the next town over.
July 21st, 2013, 06:25 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
10 min. drive to my OB from home. About 15-20 mins from the hospital. My parents live about 30 mins away.

July 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
My OB and midwife are both at the hospital I plan to deliver at (office building attached to hospital). It is about 20 minutes away.

In the event of an emergency, I have a handful of hospitals within 5 to 10 minutes as well.

My parents live 2 miles away. My sister lives about 3-4 miles away. My brother lives 2 miles away. My one BIL lives a block away, the others are about 20 minutes away........ etc. Everyone is pretty close by!

July 21st, 2013, 08:18 PM
Super Mommy
I'm 40 mins from Dr. and hospital. My mom is 90 mins away from us. If I need to go sooner, I have a friend I will call!

Mommy to five wonderfully crazy kids
DD10, DS8, DS7, DS5 and DD 18m
Expecting Baby #6 EDD 12/3/13
July 21st, 2013, 08:41 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a 30-min. drive from my midwife. If the plan is to be home, then she will come to me from wherever she is. If I go to the hospital, it's really right up the street. I have not yet nailed down who will be with the children or where they might go....

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
July 21st, 2013, 09:55 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 1:20-ish away, depending if we drive the speed limit or not the kids are going with us for the birth, but my in laws live 6 miles away. I have no relationship with my family, but my BFF lives 15 min max from the hospital and she's the closest thing to a sister I will ever have

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 21st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Super Mommy
10 mins from the hospital my OB is on call at. Well 10 depending on traffic could be 15. There's also another hospital 5 mins from me. I'm not attached to the OB at all so if I have to go to the hospital 5 mins away ill just go there. They have private rooms anyway and the parking is cheaper. Just thinking about visitors. Lol. Idk. This whole labor thing is freaking me out. Can I think about this in 19 or so weeks? Lol jk.

July 22nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
15 minutes from my ob and hospital! luckily the clinic is in the hospital and they have like 13 ob's so theres always a doctor oncall right there 24/7. *Luckily I know where to find free parking thats pretty close to the hospital for visitors*

Family- my s/o's parents are a 2 hour ferry ride, so hopefully they make the delivery, or at least right after.

my brother and his wife are a 12 hour drive/ 1 hr and a half plane ride but there coming down around when the baby's due to spend some time.

my parents are a 5 minute drive, if we eventually get to a better place in our relationship.. they can be a TON of help.

and my bestfriend is 20-30 minutes away.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.

Last edited by lily26; July 22nd, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
July 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB has an office at the hospital I will deliver at, it's about 15 minutes from my house. This is also the closest hospital in case of emergency.

My in-laws live about 5 houses away from us so we are pretty much covered in that area and my parents live about 25 minutes away.

July 22nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I live just down the street from my OB/Hospital it is a 15 minute walk or 2-5 minute drive. My OB is across the street and one building over from the hospital so a 5 minute walk if you have to wait for the light to cross the street.

My parents are 10 minutes from me and most friends no more than 5.

July 23rd, 2013, 04:44 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
My OB is about a 15 minute subway ride away. But where I live, your OB does NOT deliver your baby.

I haven't yet picked a hospital, having trouble finding one I like.

My family is about 5,000 miles away, but my husband is with me!
July 23rd, 2013, 05:01 AM
Veteran
im about 45-50 minutes away fro both my OB and hospital... I will be having a c section so this isn't a problem for me

as for the help .. my mil will be takin my girls over night and my mom lives 3 doors down from us so she will be around and dh is taking a week off when Nolan is born.

July 23rd, 2013, 05:03 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I'm about 15-20 minutes from my OB and and 15 minutes from my hospital.

My parents live 6 hours away and will come up the night before the c/s to watch the kids and they may stay for a few days after the baby is born to spend time with us. They are the closest family to us and I don't really have friends where we live. Dh has a couple of co-workers he could call in a pinch, but other than that, we don't really have anyone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search