Bottles

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JulieMc
  • 2 Post By bajars2531
  • 1 Post By DavidandJaidonsmomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2013, 06:09 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
BTDT moms, what type of bottles do you use?

I plan to breast feed and pump so hubby can help. He's recently become convinced that we should use glass bottles because of BPA and other toxins in plastic bottles. What have you used in the past? Has anyone used glass bottles?
July 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used evenflo glass bottles with DD. They're inexpensive and worked great for us.

July 21st, 2013, 06:36 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I've used nearly every bottle known to man. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration..but probably about 20 different brands and I've used plastic and glass. My favs are the Avent and Breastflow bottles.

I no longer have all my bottles....here's to hoping I won't need any!
bundle2baby likes this.

July 21st, 2013, 07:14 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I use the NUK widemouth bottles with the orthopedic silicone nipple. It's worked for all 3 of my kids and we've never had nipple confusion. I was recommended this bottle and nipple from one of the LC's with DD1, as she had trouble latching on and I didn't want to make things worse with nipple confusion (we had to give her pumped bm at 8 weeks because of an emergency gall bladder surgery I had).

All 3 kids nursed until about 11 months and used these bottles when I traveled out of town, and it worked for us with no problems.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We used Dr. Browns after trying about 6 other brands because Greyson wouldn't take anything else. I pumped for almost 6 months because he refused to latch! I am really hoping that Tobias will and we won't be using bottles much.

July 21st, 2013, 07:58 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My advice is do not, do not buy all of one type. Chances are you will go through several before you find one that works; really it's more the nipple than the bottle but since all the bottles fit differently, you don't get to change out just the nipples. Buy ONE of several different brands. Remember too, that if you are bf'ing you should always use the slowest flow nipple--never upgrade to a level 2 or 3. We used Avent bottles and a few glass ones--I can't remember which ones and they are packed away. We also had a stainless one that I liked. My ds never loved bottles. He used them because he had to, he only drank enough from bottles to get him through the day and then nursed through the night a lot. Never bothered me because we cosleep, but it was stressful when we couldn't get him to eat when I went back to work. And he initially took a bottle at 6 weeks wtih no issues...but once I was gone every day he just stopped. Some babies adjust better than others.
redbirds and TwinMamaS like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

July 21st, 2013, 08:24 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only bottles we ever used with DS were the Medela bottles that come with the pump. Lol! They worked.

July 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son never cared what nipple he got, he just wanted food. But the medula bottles is what I used. I tried a Nuk and Advent one I had gotten as gifts and they gave him PAINFUL gas. It was awful. As he got older I did get stuck in a pickle once and bought him a parents choice one and he did ok with those too. The fancy looking nipples always caused him pain. Just the plain slow flow was best for him.
July 22nd, 2013, 08:37 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We tried the Dr. Brown's with DD but she didn't do well with them. We switched to BPA free Playtex VentAir and she did fabulous!

July 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved the VentAir with DD.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

July 22nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
We used Dr. Browns and the Playtex Ventaire's. Both are BPA free, DS liked both. We used 4 types of bottles before we realized those 2 worked the best for DS.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
July 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG I haven't even given bottles a thought. I think I'm still in denial somewhat about the fact that there is a baby in my belly.

I'm hoping to exclusively breastfeed, but I'm sure my boys will want to feed the baby at some point and I want them to be as involved as they would like to be. Plus I'll be living with my Dad so I am sure he and his wife will want to help. I can't remember what I used with David and I think I primarily used Avent with Jaidon.
bajars2531 likes this.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search