My ob appointment: Depression help?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe I should have updated my other thread on this, but I figured I would let you know how things have been sorta going with my emotional issues, Maybe it'll help someone I don't know.

I went to my OB yesterday, for my physical. The ob was actually a resident, who was really sweet and it was her first day.. so I felt a little bad explaining my issues to her.

I told her I've been dealing with depression and anxiety that's been untreated for a long time. I also said that it has obviously worsened in pregnancy but I have really good days, and days that I don't want to get out of bed. She asked how many times a week I have bad days, and I said at least few days. I also admitted that I have been chasing away suicidal thoughts. That took alot to admit in person because other than my s/o I've never said the words outloud.

Saying that though, I think I may have accidently flagged myself as very high risk for the extereme ppd... because then she explained that sometimes, even though I right now have no intentions of actually hurting myself in extereme ppd it's hard to stop and I need to speak with a social worker nurse so I can get a crisis network of help together consisting of friends or family and professionals.

This scares the crap out of me. Here, you get assigned a public health nurse when you leave the hospital who has an in home visit with you... but if you're high risk for things like mood disorders, or on welfare etc.. they visit you more often then the one time.. I don't know I just feel like I did something wrong by admitting things.

I told her that my GP wanted me to go on extra vitamin D *2 pills a day as an alternative to anti depressants*. She doesn't think that it will help.. she did say that she will talk to the other OB that was on and ask if I can speak to a social worker about finding resources for counselling. I told her the only thing that has prevented me from getting counselling was the cost.

She did my exam and everything was good she said. The baby was actually measuring as per my ultrasound to Dec 16th instead of Dec 20th, but my due date is still the same. my bestfriend called December 15th aloong time ago, maybe she'll be right, I hope so! I'd rather not be in the hospital that close to christmas.
She walked in on me getting dressed, and was super embarrassed, but I was like erm, well it's not like you didn't just see it all lol.

So after my exam, the other ob came in the room and said I need to go down to ER and tell them you have suicidal thoughts so you can be seen by the psych nurse so she can go over resources. This sort of terrified me, he said that this can't be taken lightly and that he was glad that I was completely honest because alot of women are too afraid too especially while pregnant.

I ended up not going to the ER partly because I was having a "good day" and I don't entirely feel right about going there when it's not a real emergancy. Also because I was on a time constraint yesterday..

So, I decded that I would call the perinatal depression help line, because I assumed they would probably be able to assist the same as the psych nurse in the ER or I call 811 the nurse line in BC.

Anyways this is where I am at. Also, things are starting to look up better financially *but not enough to shell out money for a weekly psychologist* so thats a pluus.

Thank you lovely ladies for all of your support, and for sharing your stories.. you've made me feel better in this whole thing.

**I was going to wait till the private board was up, but I figured since depression during pregnancy isn't talked about enough maybe my story will help someone.. because before I told you ladies it was a little tough to find other people going through this

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
July 30th, 2013, 05:10 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I'm so glad you were honest and are on the path to get the help you need. It sounds like a lot of footwork, but I think it's better to be safe and you are doing the right thing by looking into your resources.

I'm also glad things are looking better financially! I hope they continue to look up

and... YAY for healthy baby! Dec. 15 is a good date Maybe you'll even go a little earlier. I hear you on wanting a little distance from Christmas. My DD bday is Dec 27, and it's not exactly ideal, but we work hard to make it work and make it her own special day.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 30th, 2013, 07:01 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one of the absolute most important steps is facing antepartum/post partum depression. things can go downhill REALLY quickly, especially in post partum periods. and one of the best things that can happen for a momma is to have someone there to support them, which is exactly what your team is doing! im really proud of you!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's great you are getting help and finding out about possible resources.
July 30th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
Glad you were comfortable enough to share your story and I'm sure it will help other mommas who are too scared to talk about it right now. You are very brave for being able to admit you have depression to your OB!

Hang in there momma, things will get better

July 30th, 2013, 07:39 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's GREAT that you are being assessed as high risk. The more help and looking after you get, the better. It's possible you'll feel better after birth--it's also possible you'll feel much, much worse, and that on top of sleep deprivation could be seriously dangerous. Just think--you're doing this so you can be a good mom. You're admitting all this crappy stuff out loud so you'll be able to care for your child.

I know you wanted to avoid medication particularly while pregnant. I know several women who took antidepressants successfully while pregnant, if you ARE having suicidal thoughts, it might be worth considering again.
July 30th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Veteran
Wow that truly took guts on your part goes to show what a great mom u will be. But please don't still there get all the help you can don't let it all get away from you. Good luck
July 31st, 2013, 06:54 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad you were honest with your dr and that they took it seriously. I agree that putting you at high risk is a GOOD thing. I know the extra attention feels like the last think you want, but as the other poster says, you put this depression with a new stressful baby and lack of sleep and well.... We've all seen the news on where that can lead. PLEASE don't let that be your story.

I KNOW it's hard. I've dealt with panic attacks and even had a few at work. I went into a full panic attack and didn't ask for help until I couldn't breath and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I knew every fireman and Ems personal that attended me on that call. It was humbling but they were all so kind. I ended up being hospitalized for like 36 hours after that event. EVERY single person I worked with knew about it. But ya know what... It was ok and they were sweet and I got the help I needed. Finally.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search