When did you last go to the DENTIST?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 11:51 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my 6 month cleaning today and I have to go BACK in 3 months! They want to see preggos more often because if anything goes wrong, it can harm the baby.

Last pregnancy, I skipped my cleaning, lol! So I didn't realize they wanted extra appointments until this time.

Have you been a good little patient?

July 31st, 2013, 12:36 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I last went in March. Had a filling changed from silver to composite (its a lower tooth -- and it was a 15 year old filling) and had a cleaning. Went back this past May because I saw a funny spot, but it's just discoloration from my sealants from when I was a kid FINALLY wearing away. All is well -- I will go back the next time I am in NY (where my dentist is that my mom works for).
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
July 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went in June for a root canal. I have an appointment next month for my cleaning. I've been to the dentist so many times this year. I had a crown done then had to go back a few times for adjustments then got an infection on the same darn tooth. I had the root canal done on the crown tooth, that is a very expensive tooth!

July 31st, 2013, 01:17 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I went in March and will go back in a little over a month. I've been pregnant at every cleaning except 3 in the last 3 years, so I'm sure she won't be shocked that I'm pregnant again.

July 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Less than a year ago I had my wisdom teeth pulled, a root canal and fillings done. Does pregnancy make your teeth bad or something?

July 31st, 2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran
Cleaning in sept. Coming up hopefully I don't forget
July 31st, 2013, 02:11 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Ummm.... it's been a while. Heck, I think it was when I was first pregnant with DD2. Nothing needed to be done, and to be honest, my teeth are pretty "perfect" so... I've snuck around going. I know I *should* go, but nah.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 31st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I went in April right after I found out I was pregnant for a couple of fillings. My next appointment is in October. They never said anything about wanting me to come in more often. The dentist just said that my mouth would be more sensitive during pregnancy and that I might notice bleeding more often but that it was nothing to worry about. So far, so good.
July 31st, 2013, 04:10 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it's been a few years...oops!... the last time I went was because a filling broke my tooth in half and I had to have it pulled.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
July 31st, 2013, 04:18 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can be MUCH more prone to bleeding gums while pregnant, which can result in infection if not monitored. It can lead to premature labor and other things, so many insurance companies actually approve a 3rd visit in the year you are pregnant instead of the standard 2.

July 31st, 2013, 11:23 PM
Beautiful Life!
I had to call around and fight to get seen by a dentist here! Last pregnancy I had a tooth break in half and half of it fall out. I went to the dentist right away and he didn't want to do anything about it while I was pregnant. Well, a few months after I had her we got pg again and then m/c. Then a couple months later, I got pg again, which is this pregnancy. So I was waiting until I was nearing the middle of my pregnancy, for the least riskiest time and called. They said they couldn't get me in for a few months and the dentist probably wouldn't do anything while I'm pregnant anyway. Which really aggravates me, because like you said, I know all the risks involved with pregnancy. I tried explaining I really need at least a cleaning and for the dentist to at least look at this tooth that I swear is getting infected and something needs to be done but they wouldn't even listen to me really. So I called a few other dentists before finding one that's able to get me in in a couple weeks and we'll see if they'll do something about my tooth or not, but at least get a cleaning done! Pregnancy is really hard on my teeth.

August 1st, 2013, 04:34 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodimarie View Post
Less than a year ago I had my wisdom teeth pulled, a root canal and fillings done. Does pregnancy make your teeth bad or something?
As Marti said above, there are the potential issues with infections, but there's also the issue that your body is using some of the calcium and magnesium that you are ingesting to help build the bones of your little one. For people who don't take in enough calcium, this can cause a problem with your teeth. I know some people who have struggled with their teeth when they aren't pregnant who have to have pretty extensive work after every pregnancy to either repair fillings or fill new cavities.

Mine doesn't have me come in more often, but when he knows I'm pregnant, he begs me to take a calcium supplement for my teeth's sake.
Jodimarie likes this.

August 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well my dentist is being weird about the whole cleaning thing. They want to take more xrays, which I don't want. I have one scheduled for sept and hope they will do the cleaning still after I refuse more xrays. I had some last week because of my wisdom tooth and just do not want more right now. I know they need cleaning due to the major vomiting I experienced with this pregnancy.
August 1st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Are you refusing x-rays because of the pregnancy or you just don't want them? If it's because of the pregnancy, the dentist can put an extra "apron" on you for x-rays. I've had to have a few x-rays done this pregnancy to check on my abscessed tooth both before and after my root canal was done. My OB okayed this as it was more beneficial than harmful.
SweetiePeas likes this.

August 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Ugh. February. I have a cleaning scheduled for Aug. 27th, but we move the 10th. I don't know if there will be a time we can do it before we move. :/

August 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am refusing due to pregnancy, they double aproned me last week , but the receptionist said for routine checkups they would have to take at least 18. Makes me a bit uncomfortable even with the double apron and the fact I could barely tolerate the xray thing without vomiting, which is another reason I am scared of getting my tooth pulled tomorrow, but I would rather do it now, than be put under for one tooth and have to dump my precious milk,lol.
August 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM
The gagging is bad, yeah. I gag even when I'm not pregnant. If they were yearly routine x-rays then yeah I'd ask to put them off, too. I had to have a just a couple done each time, 3 separate times. To see if I had an abscess, right before the root canal, and then afterwards to make sure everything looked good.

Good luck with extraction. Not fun but way better than suffering for 20 weeks.

August 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went in for some fillings about 3 weeks ago and the dentist told me that pregnant women need to come in twice, at 24 and 36 weeks, for cleanings. That was new to me... I will admit I didn't see the dentist at all during my prior pregnancies.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
August 2nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
That sounds like serious overkill and possibly preying on the fears/concerns of a hormonal pregnant woman. Yea, an infection can cause all sorts of problems, including preterm labor...but every 3 months? Not gonna do that much good, and my insurance sure as heck doesn't prescribe to that protocol because they would not cover it.

I am one of those lucky people who has teeth problems after pregnancy. Well, after my second kid, not my first. The kids sapped my nutrients....likely the calcium. Last time I had to get 3 crowns and a dozen fillings...where as I'd never had a single crown or filling before that. The dentist said it happens to some people, but didn't offer any remedy or way to prevent it from happening again, other than making sure to take my vitamins and eat well to minimize the potential.

August 3rd, 2013, 05:08 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post
I went in March and will go back in a little over a month. I've been pregnant at every cleaning except 3 in the last 3 years, so I'm sure she won't be shocked that I'm pregnant again.

Me too. Had one in March and I got back next month. I had a bunch of catch up work done last fall (soft spots, re-do some fillings) . I shouldn't have any issues going on in there, but my enamal is also compromised so ya never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post

I am one of those lucky people who has teeth problems after pregnancy. Well, after my second kid, not my first. The kids sapped my nutrients....likely the calcium. Last time I had to get 3 crowns and a dozen fillings...where as I'd never had a single crown or filling before that. The dentist said it happens to some people, but didn't offer any remedy or way to prevent it from happening again, other than making sure to take my vitamins and eat well to minimize the potential.

My OB told me to take tums to help with my calcium intake. Also Almond milk has more calcium then cow milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search