Scariest moment of my life

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 08:39 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
This is very hard for me to write out but I feel the need to share,..

This is the little tiny wading pool my kids were splashing in while standing beside it having a blast.

Not even a full ten minutes later Atti almost drowned in that small amount of water. I had moved over behind them and was watching them play. Atti appeared to be stomping his feet having a blast and Nate had moved over to the side of the pool I had taken the picture from. It took awhile for me to notice I didn't HEAR him. He had been laughing splashing and clapping and he was just silently stomping so I knew something had to be wrong and ran over. He had gotten stuck over the edge with his face in the water and his "joyful stomping" was a desperate attempt to get his feet back on the ground and get out. When I pulled him out of the water he could not stand he was doubled over coughing/throwing up water. He got very lethargic and just wanted to lay on me. His breathing was a little raspy so as soon as I finished crying thinking about all the "what ifs"" I took him to the ER to get checked out.

Luckily he never lost consciousness and the doctor said his lungs sounded clear so the doctor didn't even order an x ray saying he most likely got the water out on his own. He offered to admit him for observation but Atti perked back up and was dancing in circles of the exam room so we came home. I have to watch him for breathing trouble and fever for the next 24 hours but other than that he is fine.

I was extremely lucky that I knew drowning is not loud splashing and yelling for help it is typically silent. if it hadn't been for not hearing him I would have watched my toddler drown thinking he was playing happily until he passed out which would have ended VERY differently.

On a side note before that he had his EEG and I should have the results by the end of the week.

July 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
So scary! I'm glad you realized he was in distress before he got to the point of passing out, and that its not like the movies where they are screaming and flailing everywhere. Hope everythings good with him and you don't stress yourself out with the what ifs and think about how you may have saved your little guys life

July 31st, 2013, 09:25 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im so glad everything is okay and youre snuggling your sweet boy tonight

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 31st, 2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran
Thank goodness he's okay!! I
July 31st, 2013, 09:53 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
Oh my gosh, momma!! How scary! Thank goodness you noticed in time and he's ok!
July 31st, 2013, 11:06 PM
Beautiful Life!
So glad he's ok!!! One of the things I worry about with my girls because they love water so much! I took them to the city pool today for the first time and they loved it, but it worries me because they're so fearless about it! One of my scariest moments in my life, and as a mother, was realizing I wasn't hearing any noise out of the bathroom when my son was taking a bath. So I knocked on the door and he didn't answer. I cracked the door open and yelled his name again, he was 7 years old or so, and he still didn't answer. So I looked in to see him lying in the bath, floating, with his eyes rolled back. I grabbed him and he startled and sat up really quickly. I realized he had fallen asleep in the bathtub. He sleeps with his eyes open, so that made it worse when I seen his eyes rolled back. Anyway, he's 10 now and I still listen to make sure I'm hearing noise from the bathroom while he's taking a bath or if it seems quite, I knock on the door and make sure he's ok. Like you said, I don't trust my kids being around water and not making noise!

July 31st, 2013, 11:37 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Mommamindy I cannot imagine how scary that would have been!

Today sucked between having to hold him down while getting the electrodes on for the EEG and the near drowning but it could have been MUCH worse. I gave myself about 30 minutes to cry and play the 'what ifs' through in my mind and and now I refuse to go down that thought path again. I am a little worried about the hospital calling CPS but being as they released him so quick I highly doubt they reported it. I guess if it happens I will deal with it considering it wasn't even at my house and obviously I was paying attention to them as I had just been taking pictures.

Tonight he is back to being wild and crazy, singing, dancing, and wanting to take any toy his big brother has so I am sure he will be just fine. Bedtime however made me cry again because of his little traditions. Every morning/night he has to tell the Buzz Lightyear decals on his wall good morning/good night. It is silly but when we were doing that tonight all I could do was cry thinking how much I would have missed that silly tradition. I am VERY thankful everything is fine

August 1st, 2013, 03:09 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very thankful everything is fine with you! OH so sorry for the scare, so grateful all is well....

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
August 1st, 2013, 03:22 AM
Kelizah's Avatar Veteran
omg. that's so scary!! glad everything is ok and he's back to his old self. that's one of my biggest fears with kids.. I can't imagine
August 1st, 2013, 03:36 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
That is so scary, but I am very happy to hear he is ok.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
August 1st, 2013, 04:40 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Oh my goodness. I'm so glad he's okay and I'm sorry you had that scare mama!

Snuggle that baby as much as possible!
n8tsmomma likes this.

August 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you noticed him and everything turned out to be ok! What a scary day
December 3rd 2014 !! Baby #2 due August 14th 2015!!!

August 1st, 2013, 07:48 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is terrifying. Thank you for the reminder.
August 1st, 2013, 08:24 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very scary! So glad to hear your LO is ok.

August 1st, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG, that's incredibly scary!! It's a huge fear of mine as well. So glad everything turned out okay!!

August 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. I wouldn't worry about CPS, you were paying attention to your child or he wouldn't have been released from the hospital so quickly and they are bound to know that even if they are called. They are called accidents for a reason. Please don't beat yourself up.

August 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So scary. It takes a second and the water terrifies me and all my kids love swimming
August 1st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Oh my goodness, how scary!! I'm so glad he's okay.

August 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Super Mommy
Omg that would've been the scariest thing ever. Thank god he's ok.

August 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad your LO is okay. What a scary experience. Good thing you were paying attention! (((hugs)))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search