A post about ~Circumcision~

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do you circumcise?
Yes 14 48.28%
No 12 41.38%
Not sure yet 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whose doing it and whose not?

Is your family supportive?

What influenced your decision?

Are you public or private about your decision?

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic?

Any regrets?

Anything else you'd like to share??

I understand this board has went through this subject once, but that was a long time ago. I also love JM because of all the things I learned and this is one subject that JM opened my eyes about.
August 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
It was a really tough decision for us, because DF isn't, but I researched the pros and cons and I'm pretty sure we're going to do it now.

Yes, my mother wanted us to when she found out we were having a boy (religious traditions)

Mostly my mother and the pros of it.

Private. I'm sure baby will appreciate that when hes older

Yes, although everyone has their opinions I think it should be researched. There aren't a whole lot of pros and cons, besides it being easier to clean; therefore reducing the risk of infection.

Any regrets?
Well, I haven't done it yet but I don't think I'll have any regrets. I'm mostly worried about DF having regrets afterwards.

August 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whose doing it and whose not? I will not be circumcising

Is your family supportive? My family is but my ex-dh's was not with my first son. Looks like I'll be getting more support from DH's family this time at least

What influenced your decision? Research i did, it isn't medically necessary so I didn't see a reason to do it.

Are you public or private about your decision? I don't have bumper stickers on my car or shared info sheets on my FB, but I do share why if asked and i explain how to clean it (more like leave it alone) to sitters and anyone else who might be changing a diaper, etc.

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? I do, I don't push it but I suggest it to be something they research instead of just following the crowd

Any regrets? None, my son is beautiful and I'm so glad I kept him whole.
August 4th, 2013, 11:14 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Having another girl, so we don't have to deal with this issue

BUT... I did circumcise my son and I have no regrets. We debated both and after thinking long and hard about it, went with our decision. Everyone is fine with the choice!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
My son will be intact just like Atticus.

I have never asked their opinion. I know my brothers are and that was my moms choice but when it comes to my child's penis I am not going to let them influence me.

Many things lots of research. Before doing any research I was going to have Nate done routine because I saw what a child went through to get it done when he was two. God had other plans for Nate and he was born with hypospadias so he had to remain intact so they could use the foreskin in a graft when they did the hypo repair. 4 years later he pees normal with no leaks and knowing what his surgery was like vs. what would have happened had it been done at birth I am glad my baby was under general and had stronger pain meds available during recovery.

My friend's son almost died from his circ and I know several people who have had very nasty things go wrong with them. I know how to clean a finger so the "it's cleaner" thing never got to me. Also the .8% reduction in UTIs doesn't make me jump to remove a perfectly normal body part and I hope my son won't sleep around and will know how to use a condom if he does so not too worried about AIDS. Also it is said not to do it in the new testament of the bible.

I'm not afraid to share and judging by how often he runs around naked he isn't shy either.

If they are having a baby yes. However, most of my friends also leave their boys intact.

Any regrets?
No but I would have if Nate had been done at birth like originally planned.

Anything else you'd like to share??
Where I live circumcision is not covered by insurance and is considered cosmetic our circumcision rate state wide is like 10-15% so my intact boys will actually be in the majority. That being said I do believe it is a parent's choice and saying "not my body, not my choice" is a lie because you are making a choice not to.

I understand this board has went through this subject once, but that was a long time ago. I also love JM because of all the things I learned and this is one subject that JM opened my eyes about.

August 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Whose doing it and whose not? We do not do it.

Is your family supportive? DH is on board, DS is not circed. Immediate family thinks we are nuts.

What influenced your decision? Not supported by any group and not medically necessary, no concrete research. Our insurance in NY did not cover it, but out insurance here does (but we still are not doing it)

Are you public or private about your decision? It's not something I post all over FB.

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? I encourage everyone to look into it.

Any regrets? Zero. Never had an infection or issue with it. My son already knows how to pull it back and keep it clean.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
August 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
Whose doing it and whose not? We're not.

Is your family supportive? Haven't told anyone, not sure why they'd care.

What influenced your decision? Live in a place that almost outlawed it a couple years back-- not routine, hard to get someone to perform it unless you are Jewish and have the ceremony. Probably wouldn't have in America either.

Are you public or private about your decision? Private, it's not even really an option any way.
August 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
This is a discussion I usually don't participate in. Matt and Patrick are, if Rolo is a boy, he will be too. But I don't usually really ever talk about it.
NCRG2010 and Miss-Melissa-Sue like this.

August 4th, 2013, 12:29 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're having a girl so no but if this baby were a boy we would circumcise. It's a non issue in my family. I don't discuss it with anyone, it's just something that we do. My sons are circumcised. No regrets and no issues.
NCRG2010 likes this.

Last edited by kara74; August 4th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
August 4th, 2013, 01:09 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whose doing it and whose not? definitely not doing it

Is your family supportive? not really, they think its weird that we don't

What influenced your decision? my bradley method class i took with Brylie. We were having a girl, but our instructor passed out quite a bit of info and I read it..and there was quite the debate in class. I knew that day if we ever had a boy, we absolutely wouldn't do it.

Prior to that, I wouldve done it without question.

Are you public or private about your decision? pretty public, but in the area of life I'm in, it's a pretty common discussion/question. I get a lot of questions from doula clients about it, and of course in nursing there were questions. most of my IRL friends are anti circ, too, so we talk about it quite often on FB.

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? 110%

Any regrets? absolutely not.

Anything else you'd like to share?? if you'd like more info on not circ'ing, please PM me and i will share the same info with you that I share with anyone else who asks me im nto trying to blast the group or pass judgement on those who make a different choice.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 4th, 2013, 01:41 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whose doing it and whose not? We have not/will not.

Is your family supportive? They weren't given a say. I'm not sure if they know?

What influenced your decision? My midwife made us research every decision before making it. I don't remember all of this info anymore, but I remember LOTS of accidental mutilation stories that horrified me! And if Titus in the Bible refused to be circumcised and remained a prominent figure, I know it's okay according to my faith as well.

Are you public or private about your decision? I've been pretty open~funny I don't know if it ever came up with family then! LOL!

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? Yes!

Any regrets? No.

Anything else you'd like to share?? Nah.
ChicaChels likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
August 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Whose doing it and whose not? Not. 3rd time in a row

Is your family supportive? I guess so. It's the opposite decision of my parents, my in-laws, and my brother and SIL, but no one has thrown out any comments.

What influenced your decision? Researching. Period.

Are you public or private about your decision? Public if asked.

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? If asked.

Any regrets? Nope.
ChicaChels likes this.
August 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Whose doing it and whose not? I will not cut any boy of mine unless it's 100% medically necessary, which means it's never likely to happen.

Is your family supportive? They accept my decision, but don't agree with it. We argued about it with my first. I had to resort to getting pretty mean to get them to stop harassing me about it...at least DH's family. Mine thought I was weird, but didn't bother me a lot about it.

What influenced your decision? Research.

Are you public or private about your decision? I don't announce it, but if asked I'll answer.

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? If asked. I'm not pushy about it.

Any regrets? None at all.

August 4th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
This is a discussion I usually don't participate in. Matt and Patrick are, if Rolo is a boy, he will be too. But I don't usually really ever talk about it.
Im gonna go with Brittanie on this one ... its a very touchy subject and im gonna avoid it. «I don't have any arguments about it, its your choice.
NCRG2010 likes this.

August 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Whose doing it and whose not? we arent 100% decided yet, I'm leaning more towards not doing it. SO was a preemie and didnt have it done because he was too small, he said his mom circ'd his older brother. We discussed it and I dont want to put him through unnecessary surgery but SO wanted him to have it done because he doesnt want his son to be made fun of like he was. I know times are different now and less ppl are getting it done so that doesnt worry me too much, most likely we wont be doing it.

Is your family supportive? not really a family discussion but they would be supportive either way.

What influenced your decision? hearing about the risks

Are you public or private about your decision? private
Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic? i dont bring it up to others, everyone can make their own decision on it

Last edited by Jodimarie; August 4th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
August 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I am having a girl, so non issue for us,lol! I also agree with Brittanie on this one.
August 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whose doing it and whose not?Not sure the gender yet.. if it is a boy i'm not sure my take on it yet... people have broughten up some good points from both sides in the last topic on this

Is your family supportive?no idea, I wouldn't discuss it either though unless asked

What influenced your decision? research

Are you public or private about your decision?not public no, if we have a boy then the only people are perhaps other mommies if theres issues, or questions

Do you encourage family/friends to research the topic?Yes! because prior to getting pregnant I had NO IDEA what a debate this was!!! and all the different medical/non medical reasons people go one way or the other!

Any regrets?n/a

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
August 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .nicole.michele. View Post
Im gonna go with Brittanie on this one ... its a very touchy subject and im gonna avoid it. «I don't have any arguments about it, its your choice.
Ditto. I feel this subject is always brought up purely to start a debate. It was talked about before and there is really no point in talking about it again.
swade66 and .nicole.michele. like this.
August 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I think the format the topic was tackled in this time makes it less likely for arguing. It's more of a "post your thoughts info on the topic and read what others wrote"...rather than a debate. Everyone has remained civil thus far, and actually...no one has eve responded to anyone else's posts, except for the ones where the poster said that they didn't feel comfortable discussing it.

If its a topic you don't want to participate in, skip it. Just like I tend to skip the threads about miscarriages, loss, etc.....because it bothers me too much and I'd rather just avoid it. It's not that I don't care, I just don't want to stir up my own emotions and fears.

August 4th, 2013, 08:44 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it's not intended to incite.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search