we picked a doula today :)

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels
  • 1 Post By Brittanie
  • 1 Post By Oriyan
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2013, 04:12 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a close group of friends who are doulas, but I didn't want to cross that line (again), so one recommended this girl named Ashley. I've been talking to her on FB quite a bit and finally today was the day....we booked her!

The best part? She's JUST finished her training and she's taking on clients for free! My fee is $500 and we will gift her something after the birth, but things are tight around here so Sam is SUPER excited that this is "Free" and he really likes her, too. (Which, after our last doula experience, he was so NOT on board).

Who else is using a doula? have you picked one yet?
hugssandi likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not using a doula but I'm glad you found one that sounds like will be great!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

August 6th, 2013, 05:56 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
YAY for everything lining up for your doula! Sam liking her AND it's free? Couldn't have worked out better. I can totally see not wanting to cross the business/friend relationship by hiring a doula you are friends with. I can see how that could get sticky...

August 6th, 2013, 06:06 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AWESOMENESS!!! My midwife has a doula helper, but she's not ALWAYS available. We'll see what happens!

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
August 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
That's awesome! So glad you got the best of both worlds there I agree, too, that it's a fine line and people are better off not to cross mixing dual relations. I hope you all continue to adore her and she works wonders during L&D!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 6th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lucky you! I wish I could find one for free!
August 6th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetiePeas View Post
Lucky you! I wish I could find one for free!
try to find one who is still training. they're almost always free! When I was trying to reach my number to get certified I worked for free If you go to toLabor's website, or cappa, or dona they will usually list trainings if you PM me i might be able to find people. I have a good friend who is a midwife in PA - she works with doulas a lot in her job
SweetiePeas likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 6th, 2013, 07:45 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww i'm happy for you.

if i can find one for free i am contemplating it.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
August 6th, 2013, 07:47 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome!! I'm really glad Sam came around. I know you had some concerns with that at one point early on.

August 6th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm sort of kind of contemplating it. Just because labor is SUCH an anxious experience for me, and it is for Matt too, so he isn't really able to focus in the way I need him to (if that makes sense). Plus, it's kind of not his personality.

But, I know nothing about anything where we're moving!

August 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM
if anyone is looking for a doula, im pretty good at networking through most of the states. i know people in just about every state that are somehow involved in the birthy world. i would be MORE Than happy to try to help you!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 6th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
if anyone is looking for a doula, im pretty good at networking through most of the states. i know people in just about every state that are somehow involved in the birthy world. i would be MORE Than happy to try to help you!
I'll get back to you after I find a doctor....lol
ChicaChels likes this.

August 7th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I am using one, but my hospital provides them for free so I don't get a choice. If it's free its for me!
ChicaChels likes this.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
August 7th, 2013, 05:48 AM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
I talked to a friend yesterday who is about to have her third child and has done natural birth each time with a doula. I'm not sure that it's going to be beneficial for me since my situation seems so unpredictable. With the bleeding we've had I feel like I have no clue of what to expect. Is it worth getting a doula if I'm not sure I will be doing a natural birth and if I'm at risk for having an emergency C section?

Maybe I just need to talk with one to have a better understanding?

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

August 7th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
A doula can be your second voice. Whether its in the OR or for a natural birth.

I am getting one because while my husband did a GREAT job during my first birth, and this is silly -- but I want someone who can hold my leg better than he did, and be more even MORE supportive, AND be a second voice. Sometimes in labor your forget to ask for something or forget to remind the doc/midwife of something and a doula comes in handy for that!
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
August 7th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
A doula can be your second voice. Whether its in the OR or for a natural birth.

I am getting one because while my husband did a GREAT job during my first birth, and this is silly -- but I want someone who can hold my leg better than he did, and be more even MORE supportive, AND be a second voice. Sometimes in labor your forget to ask for something or forget to remind the doc/midwife of something and a doula comes in handy for that!
Thanks that is helpful!

August 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgail View Post
I talked to a friend yesterday who is about to have her third child and has done natural birth each time with a doula. I'm not sure that it's going to be beneficial for me since my situation seems so unpredictable. With the bleeding we've had I feel like I have no clue of what to expect. Is it worth getting a doula if I'm not sure I will be doing a natural birth and if I'm at risk for having an emergency C section?

Maybe I just need to talk with one to have a better understanding?
this really sounds like a perfect scenario in which you would really want a doula! doulas are taught labor coping technique, we are taught how to assess (with the family and provider) the risks/benefits of each intervention, the biggest thing I do is physical support because usually a SO provides the emotional support - many mommas like to lean against their SO and then they have me to rub their back, or squeeze their hips, or anything else they might want and then dad never has to leave - or if dad needs a break, mom isnt alone. sometimes Dr like to try to sneak in and pull the "your child is in danger" card when it's not necessarily true, but moms are easy targets when they're laboring alone - even just if dad went to get a drink, or go to the bathroom or get a snack...and ive had many moms go in planning on a natural labor and then something changed and it was an emergency c-section...i ALWAYS talk about what mom wants in that situation (since mom is usually asleep) so i make sure i get the pictures mom wants, (or video since most hospitals around here allow video) or anything like that - because once that happens, dad, or whomever is emotionally involved with mom and baby..they forget those little things that mom won't get to experience because they're too worried about that - usually if mom is asleep no one is allowed in the OR, but sometimes Dr. will allow a quick photo op or something to somebody other than an emotional family member. or a doula can often find a nurse who isn't going to be sterile and the nurse can take pictures of the baby before its all cleaned up, etc.

that's just a small part of what a doula can do its really the best job ever
mgail likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
August 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
this really sounds like a perfect scenario in which you would really want a doula! doulas are taught labor coping technique, we are taught how to assess (with the family and provider) the risks/benefits of each intervention, the biggest thing I do is physical support because usually a SO provides the emotional support - many mommas like to lean against their SO and then they have me to rub their back, or squeeze their hips, or anything else they might want and then dad never has to leave - or if dad needs a break, mom isnt alone. sometimes Dr like to try to sneak in and pull the "your child is in danger" card when it's not necessarily true, but moms are easy targets when they're laboring alone - even just if dad went to get a drink, or go to the bathroom or get a snack...and ive had many moms go in planning on a natural labor and then something changed and it was an emergency c-section...i ALWAYS talk about what mom wants in that situation (since mom is usually asleep) so i make sure i get the pictures mom wants, (or video since most hospitals around here allow video) or anything like that - because once that happens, dad, or whomever is emotionally involved with mom and baby..they forget those little things that mom won't get to experience because they're too worried about that - usually if mom is asleep no one is allowed in the OR, but sometimes Dr. will allow a quick photo op or something to somebody other than an emotional family member. or a doula can often find a nurse who isn't going to be sterile and the nurse can take pictures of the baby before its all cleaned up, etc.

that's just a small part of what a doula can do its really the best job ever
I think it could be beneficial since it is very likely my mom will not be here for the birth so I'll only have my hubby. It kind of makes sense to have a doula to help out as well. My doctor has one that she has worked with before and is getting me her name. I think it will be helpful to have someone who my doctor is familiar with too so she isn't apprehensive. thanks for the advice

August 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I need help finding one. Can you PM me?
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569