Breastpump through Insurance Companies

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2013, 12:16 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone initiated this process with their insurance company? I called my insurance company today, because I had read that every insurance company has different guidelines as well as timelines to get things done. I'm just wondering what information you all have been given, if anything.

August 7th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I called mine and it was 100 percent covered and already have it. They sent it out,could have waited, but did it anyway. They covered the Ameda purely your double electric. All I had to do was call the insurance and inquire about it and they gave me a medical supplies number and they sent it out and billed insurance.
August 7th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
I get one 100% covered once I hit 36 weeks or I deliver which ever comes first

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
August 7th, 2013, 12:50 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I did not know this. What insurance do you all have? I have Cigna...assuming they probably would only cover 90%, but not sure...is this a part of the new healthcare changes?

August 7th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I have BCBS -- because my plan is grandfathered, i get no pump.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
August 7th, 2013, 01:04 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have BCBS and it's a High Deductible plan so I really thought that mine wouldn't be covered at all. I called my insurance company and they claim to cover at 100% but only up to $150.00 if I purchase in network. I'm still not sure if that's 100% or not. They gave me the number's of 2 medical supply places that are "in network", Byram Healthcare as well as Edgepark Medical. I tried to call Byram a few minutes ago but I was on hold for a while and had to take another call as I'm at work.

August 7th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
My sister has the same insurance as me and when she had her baby last year she got a Medela brand pump from the hospital she delivered at and they billed her insurance for it. So thats what my plan is to do
*Leah* likes this.

August 7th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
I have BCBS -- because my plan is grandfathered, i get no pump.
Yep me too.....my plan is grandfathered...we have Humana and they don't cover a pump or a lactation consultant .

August 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I don't know if mine covers it. I just emailed to find out.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I haven't called mine directly, but I read on line that they suck and will only supply a manual pump. Who in the world wants to deal with that if they don't have to? BUT... I also read that there was so much backlash, that as of a couple of weeks ago, they are in the process of changing that to cover much better double pump electrics, which is what I need. I have Kaiser and I was shocked at how pathetic it was.

I also *think* I read that I have to be within 30 days of EDD or delivery or something before I can order, which is fine by me. Maybe they'll actually change their policy and upgrade a great deal by then!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I just logged in to my account. It says:

Quote:
Breast-Feeding Equipment

Limited to the rental of one breast pump per birth as ordered or prescribed by a physician.
It's covered 100%, but still just a rental. Boo.

August 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't find anything on my plan but I just emailed my insurance. My plan doesn't have maternity coverage so I'm doubting they'll cover it. I figured they can always tell me no but if I don't ask I'll never know for sure.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

August 7th, 2013, 05:39 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I need to call mine. I already have one from my first child, but knowing my luck it'll break and ill have to buy another one myself.

It is 3 years old now
August 8th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I haven't ever heard that insurance companies may cover breast pumps. I will call and check mine tomorrow. Oh I sure hope so
August 8th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Mine will cover an LC -- just no pump. Go figure. Considering I plan on pumping -- yeah. It's gonna be expensive
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
August 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran
just called mine-- no pump for me I swear nyc doe has the worst maternity care ever. Even my leave is a joke.
August 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Super Mommy
My insurance covers it 100%, and I've got pretty crappy insurance. HMO. Copay for everything. I was shocked when they said it was covered 100%. Btw I've got healthnet

August 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran
I have Cigna and it is covered 100%. They said to either have my Dr write a prescription at 36 weeks or wait till I meet with the lactation consultant because they may recommend a certain one and it would be covered.

I was under the impression that with the healthcare reform act, that all insurance companies should all cover some portion if not all?
ImVictorious and *Leah* like this.
TTC #1 since 7/2011

Make a pregnancy ticker

IVF
Retreival 3/15
15 eggs
13 fertilized w/icsi
Transferred one blast 3/20
9 frosties
Beta # 1 8dp5dt 3/28-132!!!!
Beta #2 12dp5dt 4/1-868!!!
Spotting 4/12
Beta #3 23dp5dt 4/12-47,000
U/S-4/23 measured 7 wks 6 days; 162 HB!

August 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM
I miss my health insurance in NY. I thought it was so crappy when we had it -- but it covered a pump, formula, birth center with CPM, etc.

My insurance here in SC is just 200 times worse. No pump, no formula, nada. I can't even have anyone other than an MD or CNM deliver my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelbluii View Post

I was under the impression that with the healthcare reform act, that all insurance companies should all cover some portion if not all?
Unless you have a health insurance plan that is grandfathered.

Health care reform includes a "grandfather clause." Basically, an insurance plan that existed before reform became law won't be subject to many of the law's new regulations on benefit design and company behavior. But under the new regulations the administration just unveiled, plans lose this exemption if their coverage changes substantially for the worse. For example, if an employer offering insurance to employees decides to hike deductibles or stop covering a major disease, the grandfather clause would no longer apply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelbluii View Post
I have Cigna and it is covered 100%. They said to either have my Dr write a prescription at 36 weeks or wait till I meet with the lactation consultant because they may recommend a certain one and it would be covered.

I think maybe the ladies that were told no should call back and use that information, because if my crappy insurance covers it then I know a lot of the other ladies insurance might. I heard a lot of the CSR's at the insurance companies don't know and they need to speak with a mgr or sumn.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search