Vegetarian? What about your kids?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By swade66
  • 2 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2013, 04:37 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
I've never thought about this. I have been vegetarian (yes to dairy and eggs, no to any meat including fish) for well over a decade. DH ate Baconators when I met him, didn't really mind. I'm not militant about being vegetarian. DH then a couple years after we got married began eating just poultry and fish-- I don't know how to cook meat A few months ago he went 'all the way' and became vegetarian too.

I had always assumed that my kids would probably eat a little meat with their father (but would also eat things like tofu and my chickpea chili). I didn't really mind leaving it up to them to decide, although I knew I would not be providing porkchops at home. I really hate the idea of eating pork a lot more than any other kinds of meat.

Anyway, now that our whole household is vegetarian, I have a new dilemma to consider. In order to give our kids any meat, we would have to buy it especially for them and cook them something completely different, and I can't really think of a good reason to do it. I mean, I buy meat for the cats of course! But isn't mealtime hard enough without making two separate things?

There isn't really a medical argument to be made either way-- so it is mostly about social and moral ideas. Do we want to make our kid be vegetarian? Will it be harder at school lunch, friends' houses, etc? I have heard so many horror stories about jerks who feed other people's children things that their parents don't want them to have, whether it's meat or soda or candy, whatever.

Do any vegetarians already have kids? Are your kids vegetarian? Were you raised vegetarian and loved/hated it?
August 8th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Super Mommy
I was a vegetarian for a few yrs and I loved it.. Even till now I could do without the meat.. I haven't eaten any chicken since I"ve gotten pregnant.. and I don't eat beef or pork either.. never did...

but it's up to you kids weather or not they like the taste of meat... be open with them and if they want to try it let them try it. Even if you don't know how to cook it ask a family member to cook it or buy it outside for them to taste it. what they decide to eat it up to them..

Good Luck

Nala Anjali
Born Dec 9th
8 pounds 10 oz
August 8th, 2013, 05:17 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
As a meat eater I wouldn't have a problem with my kids having a friend who didn't EST meat. I also wouldn't be put out to make a dinner or lunch around them if they were over. I'd just have to ask what to make or Bing it. Lol
feythful likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 8th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
My son was a vegetarian for the first 3 years of his life (His choice -- he didn't like meat! When I was pregnant with him -- I could not eat meat! He would refuse meat baby food, and meat in general!). He's fine -- but you just have to make sure to supplement protein and iron another way
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
August 8th, 2013, 06:54 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if it's not a huge issue to you, then make all vegetarian at home and relax about school/others giving your kid food. If it becomes more of a big deal, then it will just take more planning. Either way is okay!

We didn't feed our first one until after 10-12 months ANY food. He was happily FAT breastfed. Then at a cookout someone didn't like that we did that and fed him watermelon, and he choked. I was so frustrated! I said something like, "Why would you do that? I respect who you are, why can't you respect how we are?" UGH.

My point is, there will always be food issues, no matter what. It just happens! I have food allergy kids, too. Planning....

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
August 8th, 2013, 08:16 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think as long as your kids are getting adequate protein it's totally fine for them to be vegetarian. i would be wary of things like tofu because of all the soy, especially in lyla and baby C - but there are other ways to get protein. brylie doesnt really love meat so i make her an arbonne protein shake (its plant based protein, not whey or soy) once a day or i make her a smoothie with greek yogurt and shes never been deficient in any nutrients. she might eat meat 2-3x a month IF that. I could do without meat in general, too, but I'm married to a beef farmer so not cooking meat wouldn't really fly my BFF is a vegetarian and i know if she ever has kids she will raise them to be vegetarian, but if they decide on their own they want to eat meat she will be fine with that. she used to eat chicken until maybe 5-6 years ago? she's never had beef in her life, and she wasnt raised by a vegetarian family.

I do think that forcing them to be veg would be inappropriate, but no more than forcing child who wants to be a vegetarian to eat meat would be inappropriate
feythful and SweetiePeas like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DD would not eat ANY meat until she was 3. Her choice not ours. I agree that if you decide not to serve meat, they would be fine as long as you found other ways of getting protein in them. That was the tricky part for me. We used a supplemental drink.

I could totally be a vegetarian right now, this baby hates meat as well.... Also agree with what another poster said, there is always going to be issues with food, so just do what you are comfortable with
August 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
beautiful.mess's Avatar PhotograMommy
Send a message via AIM to beautiful.mess
I was a vegetarian for over 10 years too. I started eating meat last year, before I did my husband did so I actually cooked meat dishes for him. We offered it to our girls when they were old enough and wouldn't deprive them. I figured they could make their own decision about it when they were old enough.

Married Chris on 4.7.2006
Mommy to Madison Mae 4.26.08 <3
and Sydney Paige 4.28.10
Poppyseed due 12.10.13
]
-Mark 10:6-9
August 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Kelizah's Avatar Veteran
I was a vegetarian a few years back and I loved it.. never felt better in my life. but DH is a meat eater. I go on "no meat" binges from time to time and I'll make a week or two or no meat dinners here and there. I plan to feed my kids the same way we eat lol.. so if we go a few weeks without meat (obviously still getting in nutrition regardless) then so be it. i want our kids to experience different foods and if they decide they like it or dont.. thats ok with me. I don't think I could ever be so committed to go vegan though..

August 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To me this really is a personal family choice same as say religion in my book. People raise their kids with their religion from birth so why not raise your kid with the way you eat. With that said I agree with whoever said just don't worry about it outside the home until the kid is big enough to begin making choices for themselves.

If it were me I would expose my kid to meat and if you don't eat it for moral reasons which I would assume would be treatment of the animals etc etc why not try to find a local farmer to get your meat from so at least the animals would be treated humanly and without yucky things being pumped into their bodies etc.

August 8th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest son (ten) hates meat. I mean hates it! Always did. I find other ways for Him to get the nutrients he needs. My two middle children would eat the cow while its still mooing so gross lol. I am not much of a meat eater at all. You may be surprised when your little one asks for a hamburger though lol
August 9th, 2013, 11:39 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i wanted to add, as far as being outside the home - if your kids arent raised to eat meat, they probably wont want meat at jimmy's house. i had a really good friend growing up who was vegetarian (both her parents were REALLY strict vegetarians) and my mom would just order a cheese pizza for her, or make a dish where meat would be optional - like tacos, etc. she would never be like "oh caroline we're having cheeseburgers tonight, dont tell your mom!"

my kids now KNOW they do NOT get soda and they get 1 sweet a day - even at grandma's house they politely decline (I would kill my MIL if she gave them a soda) but a perfect example was today at lunch - brylie had chocolate milk w/ breakfast over there and hunter did not - i had to run some errands so i stopped and got myself an iced coffee at casey's and i didnt want to finish it (it was mostly water at this point) and hunter LOVES them, so since he didnt have Choc milk he asked if he could have the rest of my drink, i said yes..brylie got a little huffy because she wanted it ... so gma trying to be the hero went in to the kitchen and tried to make her a fake iced coffee - brylie declined because she'd already had the chocolate milk...then it was grandmas turn to get huffy just be consistent in your expectations of your kids and they will be fine and make good choices (most of the time..im not saying when they're 14 and at some stupid party they wont drink a mt. dew, but they'll know not to come home and think they're going to suck them down)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search