C Sections

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lily26
  • 1 Post By feythful
  • 1 Post By TwinMamaS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I am hoping to deliver vaginally, but with twins there is a higher chance that I may need to have a C section. The whole thing terrifies me. I've never had surgery before and I really don't want a c section.

BTDT moms, have you had a c section? How was the recovery? How long did it take before you were "back to normal"? How was the initial experience?
August 14th, 2013, 07:01 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a btdt mom, but I wanted to say I hope everything goes smoothly and you get your vaginal delivery.
TwinMamaS likes this.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
August 15th, 2013, 06:26 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I had a c-section with my first. I didn't want one and was totally afraid. However, it was really not that bad. I was able to leave the hospital without pain meds and 2 weeks later was totally back to myself...up and down from the floor and doing all my normal things.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 15th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My cousin delivered her twins vaginally. Try not to stress too much. And to be honest I have heard people who didn't recover from a vaginal delivery so quickly. It really depends on your and your body! Don't be nervous and don't listen to anyone's horror stories! My sister in law recovered very quickly from her two c sections!
August 15th, 2013, 06:40 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
^The recovery from my vaginal delivery was much harder than my c-section. My lady bits were in pain for weeks after and I thought it would never go away. Of course it did eventually. I only had a few stitches too...it wasn't like I tore all apart.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
C-sections seem scary, but neither of mine have been bad experiences. I've had 2 and I will tell you that the recovery from C-section is a bit counter-intuitive. The sooner you get up and move, the better you will feel. That doesn't mean you should push yourself to walk miles the day after, but after my first, I was hesitant to get up and move. You will need time to rest, but you also need to move so that you can keep blood flowing through the areas that are healing. I felt a million times better after I started moving around.

After the second one, I got up almost as soon as they removed the catheter. I made rounds of the postpartum ward hallways every couple of hours and spent plenty of time sitting in the chair instead of the bed (because it was more painful to get out of the bed than the chair). I felt ready to leave after the second night that time!
swade66 likes this.

August 16th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Veteran
I have had 2 c sections and mine weren't bad at all ... as soon as the staples came out I immediately felt better!! and u have to move around when you are able too.

August 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM
LadybugBanana's Avatar Veteran
The worst part of my csection was the day after in the hospital. Waiting on your body to pass gas so you could eat, ohhhhhh that was painful. And the pain in my shoulder that I had no idea I was going to have...
Other than that, it wasn't too bad. As said above, if you do have to have one, move move move... Do your best to make yourself be mobile, without pushing too hard. The faster you can get moving around the better/faster you will heal!
August 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD was a c-section. She had flipped breech at 36 weeks and the risk of vaginal delivery was too high.

The experience isn't as terrifying as you think. You are awake and conscious the entire time. (No, you don't see anything) The birth itself is like a tugging feeling on a body part that's gone to sleep. I found out afterwards that DD was born within 10 minutes. Time sort of loses meaning when you hear those first cries .....

DH was with me the entire time. He cut the cord and brought her to me after the nurses provided the first health check. The downside is that I spent some time in the recovery room immediately afterwards and was separated from my little one for 30 min or so. (I let DH take DD to the nursery for the full "bath". He kept the grandparents busy)

My recovery was quick. I was up and "walking" the next day. The first two weeks afterward felt like I had done about a million situps.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

August 16th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks ladies! You have definitely calmed my fears a bit!
swade66 likes this.
August 16th, 2013, 05:07 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I'm terrified as well. I simply can't imagine coming home with two newborns, and having to take care of a 3 and 4 year old at home after major surgery like that. And, I'm weird about surgery in general..I just don't like it....and I think I'd rather be knocked out completely. But....I also worry about the possible breastfeeding afterwards and the cascade of issues that can cause..... I am praying really hard that I don't need it.

What is your doc's policy on c-sections? Will they still do vaginal if first baby is head down but second is breech? Or is it...no breech at all? Mine says she'll still do vaginal if 2nd baby is breech, but said that most newer docs wont and will go straight to c/s.

August 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Kelizah's Avatar Veteran
I don't know if I will end up with a c-section but im also one that's nervous if I have to get one. but to be honest.. im scared of the whole -actually having the baby- either way lol.. I've never had to go into the hospital for anything in my whole life.. not even for stitches or a broken bone.. so it kind of freaks me out
August 16th, 2013, 05:54 PM
My doctor said as long as Baby A is head down they will do a vaginal delivery. I haven't talked specifics with her any further than that - something I'll have to address at my next appointment. I've read that if Baby B is breech some doctors will try to turn it around by reaching into your uterus (ouch!) and some doctors will deliver the baby breech. Starting next month I'll be going for growth scans every 4 weeks and they'll be monitoring their positions so at least I will be prepared.

I really, REALLY hope that the babies cooperate and are both head down when the time comes.

I watched a video from the Babycenter that was just called "Twin Birth" which turned out to be a c-section and they showed the procedure. I was anti-C-section before, but that video spurned this little freak out. It was very graphic. I'm feeling better about the whole thing, but still praying I don't have to experience it.
August 17th, 2013, 04:45 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK... I'll be the devils advocate here.. I had a horrible c-section.

My DS1 was sunny side up and got stuck in my hips in the birth canal and went into major distress and wasn't recovering. So I had an emergency c-section.

I had MAJOR pain issues. I had at least 5 panic attacks within the first 3 days from losing control of my pain while in the hospital. I maxed out on morphine and was in tears the whole times because it wouldn't touch the pain. I can't remember the name of the drug but they told me it was 10x more powerful then morphone. We would finally get the "circle of pain" under control and then there would be a shift change and a different nurse and I'd tell her I was needing pain meds early and she wouldn't give them to me and wham another loss of control with the pain.. panic attack... IV pain meds and a shot in the hip. I was on major narcotics for over a week and then weaned down to lesser stuff over the next two weeks. Because of the meds I didn't sleep hardly at all and had tons of anxiety problems.

Passing gas, sitting up, laughing etc is all super painful and very hard to do for several days to a week.

Because I had the surgery I swelled up like a ballon from all the fluids they gave me etc. I gained tons of weight and got stretch marks on my legs and breasts from the swelling. I also blew up in my face :-/.

Another thing I hated was the epi. During the surgery I couldn't move my arms or hardly my head. I could barely talk. I shook uncontrolably coming off the epi. It was almost 2 hours before I was able to hold my son for the first time. I was so upset.

Anyways mine was a horrible and scaring experience. And I'm fighting tooth and nail to prevent it from happening ever again. (And a VBAC is another battle in itself)

Another thing I'll add is long term c-section issues. The scar has no feeling. One of my first DDC friends ended up losing all feeling below her scar after her 2nd c/s which means her lady parts no longer had feeling. Thankfully thats not common. Another issue you deal with is the c/s pooch. Fat likes to collect above the scar line and 'pooch' over it. I haven't had that issue really yet because I work my core like crazy, but it much harder then before. And also now that I'm pregnant again, my scar tissue causes me pain as it stretches, gets kicked etc.

One good thing, is the scar is below your underwear line and is barely noticeable if you heal well. People don't see mine unless I point it out.

Here is my scar taken just prior to this pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search