Just came home from the hospital

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By HorseGal
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 1 Post By mgail
  • 2 Post By kara74
  • 1 Post By swade66
  • 1 Post By feythful
  • 1 Post By ImVictorious
  • 1 Post By hugssandi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
I was at work ( I work at the hospital I'll be delivering at) and all of a sudden I started getting dizzy. So I ate breakfast, but on my way back from the cafeteria my dizziness started getting worse.

I stopped to sit down in the ultrasound department, and one of the nurses came to take my bp. It was a little elevated 135/80 and my heart rate was 104, but I think it was because I was scared. One of our radiologists came to check me out, and told me to go to e.r. Just to be safe. So they put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me over there. ( by this time I felt like the room was spinning)

The e.r. nurse asked me if I had any back pain, I said yeah, but just normal pregnancy sore back, but I guess I shouldn't have said that because they sent me up to L&D, where they monitored me for a few hours for pre term labor. They monitored the baby, my blood sugar ( which was perfect) my blood pressure came back down, and they cathed me to take a sterile urine sample ( that was normal but ouch!)

My doctor was in the room next door delivering a baby, so he came in to see me, and said everything looked normal. He asked if I'd been having any congestion, and I said a little, so he said my vertigo might be middle ear congestion, so to take Sudafed.

They let me go home, so now I'm resting. I don't think I want to take the Sudafed, cuz there's ephedrine in it and I already suffer from anxiety. S I'm going to try nasal irrigation with my neti pot. Hopefully it helps. The only thing is that they never even looked in my ears or anything. As soon as they knew the baby and all ob issues were normal, they sent me home without a workup of why I'm so dizzy. Oh well.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you're okay pregnancy-wise, but agree they should have checked you for any other issues. Sometimes I get dizzy spells from just being really tired or on my feet a lot. Get some rest and try not to worry.

September 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Thank you!

September 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad they took it serious even if it seemed unneeded. My dr seems to shrug everything off unless your bleeding.

Hopefully that was just a one time episode.
Betts likes this.
September 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Blech. I'm actually surprised, after all that, they didn't check for an inner ear infection or something like that Hopefully the neti pot can help. Is there anything else you can take that would help with congestion?
Betts likes this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
Yeah, I wouldn't take the Sudafed either, that was a strange recommendation. I can't even take that stuff when I'm not preggo. I hope your dizziness goes away and the neti pot works!
Betts likes this.

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

September 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure about taking anything else. I never take cold/cough medicine. Ever. So I really don't want to start now. Besides, I don't really feel congested.

It's was the first time I met my doc, I've only seen the nurse practitioner in the office so far. So he isn't even familiar with any of my history, I don't think. They talked more to me about watching my sugar intake, because sometimes blood sugar issues make you dizzy. But it wasn't normal dizziness, the room was spinning. It kind of bothered me, because they're probably just telling me that cuz I'm a little overweight. But my glucose tolerance test was normal, and when they checked my sugar today, it was 112 and I had just eaten an hour before. So why are they harping on me regarding my sugar/ carb intake??

September 13th, 2013, 07:41 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you weren't feeling well today. I hope the dizziness goes away soon.

I had a bout of vertigo back in July. Very scary as I'd never experienced it before. I was given Antivert and was told to take Sudafed and Zyrtec along with it. I thought it was a lot if meds to take at once esp while pregnant but it did help dry up the congestion and helped with the vertigo. Mine lasted over a week.

ETA - my OB was a bit spazzy about my sugar intake and weight gain with my last pregnancy. They were not familiar with my history so they thought with me being overweight as is that I may develop GD and or have a large baby. I have small babies even though I'm not small so I just ignored them about that subject. My DD was 6lbs 4oz at birth. Now that they are familiar with my history they don't say anything. Your OB just may be concerned because this is your first so neither he nor yourself know what will end up happening the rest of your pregnancy and he wants to err on the safe side.
feythful and Betts like this.

Last edited by kara74; September 13th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
September 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
If I were you I would follow up with my regular doctor and have him check your ears. Can't hurt.

Glad baby is ok.
Betts likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
September 13th, 2013, 09:16 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Glad they were so proactive, but sorry they didn't find the cause before sending you home.
Betts likes this.

September 13th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Super Mommy
Glad you and baby are ok. Good they gave you the full workup just to be safe.
Betts likes this.

September 14th, 2013, 06:14 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(((((Betts)))))
Betts likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
September 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the support guys! I think you guys are right, I should follow up with my regular doc.

I do feel better today, and haven't had any dizziness/vertigo since yesterday, so that's good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search