Where will your other kiddos be??

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For the birth of this baby? I know we talked about this a while back but now that we are further along I wanted to hear thoughts and opinions again.

I am torn. On one hand I want Greyson to be at a friends house. On the other hand I want him to be involved as much as possible and to be there shortly after Tobias's birth. We won't have family in the area but I will have 2 good friends there and my husbands mom will be there however she wants to be there for the actual birth.

The husband said he should be in the waiting room....so he can join us shortly after he is born and perhaps come in and out of the room when things are uneventful. However we don't really have anyone that can be there that long besides his mom which wants to be there for the actual birth.

In my perfect world I would have him at the hospital in the room for those first few hours. Perhaps have him go home with a friend to play and such and then be brought back when I am around 8cm (and hopefully progressing!) so that he can be brought into the room right after the baby is born. I want him to feel involved and not pushed to the side for the new baby.

The husbands mom I think could handle him in the hospital those first couple of hours and I think my friend could take him home with her for a bit and bring him back. She is a doula and I am considering hiring her for that purpose so she can cover her own childcare and be there at the hospital with mine.

So what are your plans?

I should mention he is 6. I don't think he can handle being in the room for the actual birth but I do think he would be fine to be in the room otherwise unless things got really intense and then I think he would get scared.

September 15th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ummm I love the idea of the siblings being around right away but that being said a 6 year old around a newborn right away is a little scary where germs are concerned. Some hospitals don't allow siblings to visit so soon. You have to do what's right for you. My kids usually come the next morning depending on what time of day I give birth. I like to see them when I had some sleep and am alert and happy lol
September 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I thought about the germ thing but I am not to concerned about it. I don't know what the policy at the hospital will be since I am not even sure which hospital...lol I guess once I narrow it down I will have to find out..great point I should for sure find out as it might not be an option.

I think part of it is also going from 1 kiddo to 2...I don't want him to feel left out, forgotten etc etc. And I can't imagine not seeing him for so long myself. He is my baby.....even if he is 6!

September 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Having my kids around would actually make me more anxious. They'll be at home, hopefully with their aunt. They'll come over as soon as they can, depending on the actual time of birth.

September 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My older two will either stay home or with their dad. Sofia will most likely stay with my parents. I don't want any of them around during L&D and I know my boys wouldn't want to see all that anyways. If baby is born at night or early morning the kids will come later in the morning or afternoon.

September 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
As far away from the hospital as time will allow Praying we have enough time to have either one of the sets of grandparents in town to watch them, or to drop them off at a friends' house. I've no desire to have a 5.5 (almost 6) year old, a 3+ year old and a 19 month old at the hospital while I'm delivering. No thank you

IDEALLY, baby would be born on a weekend, or (dreaming here, the weekend before Thanksgiving, when either set of grandparents will be around and DH has that whole week of Thanksgiving off).I would be a little more than 37 weeks along. It's also a dream because my grandmother's birthday is Nov 24, so I keep telling baby that would be a lovely birthday. Maybe she'll oblige . It's hard because we've no relatives here and friends all work during the week, but we'll find someone if push comes to shove.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 15th, 2013, 08:31 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question!!! ???

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
September 15th, 2013, 08:35 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Most likely, the kids with be with one of their aunts..unless it happens on a day that they're all working, and then they'd be with my parents. But most likely, it will be one of the aunts. Everyone is nearby us, so whatever is clever really. Someone will step up. DH will be at the hospital with me, and as soon as we give word that the babies are born there's at least 2 of his siblings that always get up there right away. Last time, when I had my daughter...they were up there less than an hour after the birth...I'd only just started breastfeeding her, and barged right in the room. My son was 16 months at the time and thrilled to see his new baby sister. He will be 4 when the twins are born, and my daughter will be 3...they are both very excited and anxious, so I want them up there as soon as possible Whoever is watching them will make sure they get up there. DH will hang out with me at the hospital and go home around 6-7 in the evening so the kids have some continuity at home. Unless I have a c/s, then that could change and I might need extra help at least for the first night. I've never had one, so I dont know how that works.

September 15th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If he comes over Thanksgiving she will be with her dad. Any other time she will be with grandparents. Not sure which side yet. When he's born we will have Sydney come. I don't think she'd handle waiting at the hospital very well.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 15th, 2013, 10:00 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it's nighttime... then my mothers.. if it's day time, then SO's mother. Unless he's with his dad at the time
September 16th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
If it's daytime, he'll be at daycare and then go home with his old teacher who babysits with us until we can get him. If its nighttime, he is coming with us
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
September 16th, 2013, 05:41 AM
LadybugBanana's Avatar Veteran
Mine is scheduled for Dec 5th, @ 8AM. So, my mom will have DD the night before and take her to school, then come to the hospital. My mom or dad will pick her up from school and bring her to the hospital after the school day is over ( 3:50). I know this might sound strange, being as its a special day, but, part of me thinks that her just keeping her normal schedule is best. My mom wants to just bring her to the hospital that morning and not take her to school, she said she would care for her while they were there. So, I guess mine is honestly still up in the air.

Now, if I go into labor before my scheduled time, I will just call my mom. She lives about 10 min away from me, and already said shed drop anything if it came to it!
September 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
It depends. I want both kids to be the first besides DH and myself to meet the new baby. If baby comes at night they will go to my inlaws who would bring them over first thing in the AM. If baby comes on a week day Elizabeth might be in school and Flynn with my mom or inlaws.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
September 17th, 2013, 09:04 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Well, I know someone will be watching them, and it was originally set for my parents to drive up, but now that we're moving across the country, I'm not sure what will happen. My parents may still fly out. I haven't talked to them about it at all, so I have no clue. As a backup, I may ask my SIL to take off work that day and watch them. The one thing I know for sure is that I don't want my MIL watching them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search