Labor and Delivery Class

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By novastar222
  • 1 Post By bajars2531

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
Tonight DF and I will be attending our Labor and Delivery class. I'm a little nervous because I'm sure I'll be the youngest one there, and I don't know what to expect. Have any of you ladies done one of these classes? What are basic things they do?

September 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
We went before DD1 and it was informative. I actually had to think back to some of the tips when I had DD2 It depends on the kind of labor class you are attending, but they tend to provide tips and practice on focusing on something other than pain/contractions, have DF help relieve the discomfort by rubbing or providing pressure on certain parts of the body (mainly lower back, what I remember) ... I think we also saw a film (I can't remember). It's been a while for me, I'm sure our doula gals can provide more info on what to expect, but you'll probably learn a good deal and don't worry about age. Everyone there is probably a FTM and all in the same boat, no matter how old

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 16th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think redbirds pretty much said what I would have said..
September 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
So exciting! Let us know how it goes! We're going October 6th for ours.
September 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've never attended an L&D class, but I think it's also a good idea to learn about the physical processes too. It helped me a lot to know what my body was doing. Made it a little less scary.

September 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the pep talk . And I will keep you updated !

September 16th, 2013, 12:41 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I think if it's baby #1 it is helpful. I went when I had DS 15 years ago and it was helpful and it also scared me. They played a few movies I could have done without.

This time DH is a paramedic so he has delivered a few babies already.... me - I don't' want to go again. Although it's been a long long time since L&D I am just gonna wing it!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
September 16th, 2013, 01:24 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ex and I went to classes with DS1. They lasted about 6 weeks I believe. Like others have said, there were films involved and then some practice labor breathing and positions and what not. I guess the films and reading material were helpful but the practice labor breathing wasn't all that helpful. I basically forgot all that once I went into labor and things got chaotic and super painful. If I recall correctly, there were people of all ages from young (late teens/early 20s) to AMA (35+). I was 22 at the time so I was one of the younger ones. Everyone was a FTM so regardless of age, we were in the same boat. I didn't go for a refresher with DD even though it had been 15 yrs since I had a baby.

September 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I signed up for a class at my hospital, I'm pretty nervous about it too lol I guess I just dont want to practice labor positions and breathing in front of a bunch of other ppl. I'm pretty shy lol Have fun at your class

September 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Let me add When I went the breathing techniques went straight out the window, they may be helpful to you though and I was also embarrassed about practicing certain stuff with other people there, but we were all doing it so there really was no reason to worry. I was also 22 and one of the younger moms there and it really was no big deal. GL and I am sure you will be fine
September 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodimarie View Post
I signed up for a class at my hospital, I'm pretty nervous about it too lol I guess I just dont want to practice labor positions and breathing in front of a bunch of other ppl. I'm pretty shy lol Have fun at your class
I'm also extremely shy and I feel like i wont be able to do this with a straight face
Jodimarie likes this.

September 16th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Sadly I had to switch my class for a later date because I've come down with the awful bug that is going around ah well, we still have our basic prenatal classes on the 28th and this class was moved to the 21st of october, maybe I'll remember more information that way

September 16th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I took a class with my first I really enjoyed it! I thought my husband was going to pass out when he saw the film though lol
September 16th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Quote:
Originally Posted by novastar222 View Post
I'm also extremely shy and I feel like i wont be able to do this with a straight face
IKR!! Thats what I was thinking lol Hope you feel better soon

September 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The new classes are nothing like the old, and quite frankly, totally ridiculous lamaze classes from the 80's. You may practice deep breathing, but mostly they focus on different pain coping techniques. Massage, pressure points, humming or moaning (which really helps, even though it sounds super weird). Holding your breath causes your body to tense up which equals more intense pain. Birthing classes mainly focus on trying to release the tension and how you can work with your body to help you through the labor process. You might learn positions but it would be more like, how to get into a more comfortable position that allows your body to open with contractions; what to do if your baby is face up or you are having back labor; options to get you through the transition period without pain meds, etc. It's not the silly lay on your back and hyperventilate crap that it used to be. And any class that teaches you to lay on your back and labor I would run from; seriously the worst, most excruciatingly painful position you could ever be in during birth, IMO. I took Birthing From Within classes and I loved them.
SweetiePeas likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

September 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We moved during the time I was supposed to take them with DS1 and so i never did and regretted it. So we are taking them this time.
September 17th, 2013, 01:16 AM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks for the reminder I need to sign up lol

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
September 17th, 2013, 03:27 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
My insurance pays for it but I can't find one in English

We'll be winging it, I guess.
September 17th, 2013, 03:36 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think anyone here would be still having babies if they took a Lamaze class in the 80s lol. That would be advanced, advanced maternal age. Although the class I took in 1996 is probably way outdated they didn't teach us to lay in our backs and hyperventilate. We were taught several positions including on all fours (which didn't really help with my back labor). They also discussed focal points (that didn't help much either). I wasn't taught pressure points or moaning but I found myself moaning during labor just from instinct as that's how I've always dealt with pain. My labor helpers (mom, husbands, aunt) did use massage and different pressure points to relieve pain but were never instructed to do so. Some things you just do without being taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajars2531 View Post
The new classes are nothing like the old, and quite frankly, totally ridiculous lamaze classes from the 80's. You may practice deep breathing, but mostly they focus on different pain coping techniques. Massage, pressure points, humming or moaning (which really helps, even though it sounds super weird). Holding your breath causes your body to tense up which equals more intense pain. Birthing classes mainly focus on trying to release the tension and how you can work with your body to help you through the labor process. You might learn positions but it would be more like, how to get into a more comfortable position that allows your body to open with contractions; what to do if your baby is face up or you are having back labor; options to get you through the transition period without pain meds, etc. It's not the silly lay on your back and hyperventilate crap that it used to be. And any class that teaches you to lay on your back and labor I would run from; seriously the worst, most excruciatingly painful position you could ever be in during birth, IMO. I took Birthing From Within classes and I loved them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search