BTDT Moms of Preemies

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By redbirds
  • 1 Post By hugssandi
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 5 Post By KMH
  • 2 Post By swade66
  • 3 Post By DavidandJaidonsmomma
  • 1 Post By bundle2baby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The NICU is supposed to come see me for a consult sometime today. Any questions I should ask? I've never had a preemie.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

September 18th, 2013, 07:38 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh... I hate that you have to go through this! ((HUGS)) I've no idea what to ask. Maybe ask a general question about what to expect, how often you can see baby, when can you do kangaroo care/cuddles, maybe what common issues are had with babies born at 28, 32, 36 (etc...) weeks. We're all praying you hit that 35 week mark like the goal! I'd ask for a pen and paper because you may want to take some notes. I know when I'm given a ton of info, even if they provide pamphlets, I still lose some of the info I wish I had written down. Here's some baby baking dust for you!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 18th, 2013, 07:50 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heavy-hearted here as well over your going through this! Prayers and great hope for much more time, as well as good health and longevity no matter what happens. You are wrapped in loving thoughts ALL.THE.TIME, girl!!!!!

Sorry I don't have any knowledge on what to ask.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
September 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Maybe ask about nursing... What are your chances of doing it and will they feed with your pump milk if you desire? Not sure if that is what you want to do but good question to ask.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13

Last edited by kayakr; September 18th, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
September 18th, 2013, 08:18 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking*

Hugs to you and your little one...I hope you are able to bake that baby for many more weeks!

The NICU docs/nurses are a wealth of info. Definitely take notes. Get a phone number so you can call later when you think of more questions you want to ask.

At this point all they can really do is give you general info, because the equipment your baby will have, the restrictions as far as what you are allowed to do, how often or if you can hold your baby, what testing your baby will have, etc. will all depend on when he is finally born and any health issues that he may have. Like Gwynne said, they should be able to give you info about common issues that babies face at each stage (before 28 weeks, 28 weeks, 30 weeks, 32 weeks, etc.).

Discuss feeding options. Your baby may not be able to eat right away, but when he can, they need to know how you want to handle it. If you are a formula feeder there really won't be any issues, but if you want to breastfeed and/or pump, make sure that is noted on your file. You may be able to rent a hospital-grade breast pump, which is a huge help in getting your supply established. The hospital likely has a lactation consultant that you can see even before your baby arrives to make sure you are prepared and they can answer questions about BFing a preemie.

My cervix was down to around .5-.75 at 24.5 weeks and I didn't deliver my twins until 33w1d. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of bringing them home, and they are completely normal, healthy 1-year olds. Sending prayers and good wishes your way for many more weeks of being pregnant!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 18th, 2013, 08:39 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
^Good advice there.

The NICU nurses are the most caring people I have ever met. They LOVE their job and they LOVE your baby.

Def ask about feeding and what you should do. If you are BF'ing I would recommend starting to pump right away. When my daughter was in the NICU it made me feel so much better to pump because then I was doing something for her.
DavidandJaidonsmomma and KMH like this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
September 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! Breastfeeding has been my main concern so far. I actually have a friend looking into donated breast milk in case mine takes awhile to come in or I have issues.

I'm definitely fighting to make it to 35 weeks. The good thing is I haven't had any symptoms of ptl so far.
redbirds, bundle2baby and kayakr like this.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

September 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Some really great advise here! Just want to add that my thoughts & prayers are with you!! I hate that you are going through this. I had my daughter at 32 weeks & she was a fighter! She was completely healthy & came home from the NICU after a little over a week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search