Epidural? Or surprise, you're going at naturale

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of the handful of people I know who have delivered in the last few months, TWO of them have planned to have an epi and ended up having to go natural because their labor went so fast.

Those of you who plan on pain relief, have you mentally prepared that this might happen?

September 29th, 2013, 10:14 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That would actually be perfect for me. I plan on an epidural this time but would love if I go so fast that I don't need it. I don't like the idea of an epidural but I don't like the idea of experiencing all that pain again more.
SweetiePeas likes this.

September 29th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I plan on going natural but am open to an epidural if I need it. I had an epidural for the last 5 hours of my labor with my first, but that was because I was SO tired from being up for over 30 hours at that point once my water broke (i was on pit for induction) I was in complete back labor and I could not handle the pain when I was so mentally exhausted. I could not focus on breathing through the pain because I had half an eye closed.

I had them turn it off when I got ready to push. I just wanted it to sleep really and the 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep without peeing was BLISS. But I had issues after -- i told them not to use tape on my back and they did (i'm allergic) and it resulted in my entire back blistering (which try and pull tape off a blistered back). I also had back issues for a few months (pain at the epidural site).
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
September 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was the opposite, I had planned to go all natural with ds1 and had horrible back labor. I remember comparing it to getting shot with a shot gun. When I found out I was only a 1.5, I caved and got one. I was panicking at that point. Hopefully that doesn't happen again
September 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I've had at least two friends that had epidurals that didn't work or didn't kick in in time. I would really like an epidural, but I will do what I have to do. I'm comforted by the fact that with twins, they probably won't be huge. I've read with twins there's a higher chance of getting an epidural/pain meds in case they have to turn the baby or deliver breech. Crossing my fingers I get one!
September 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I had epi with both labors and would like to try not getting one this time. It would be perfect if labor went quick enough that I didn't have that option my cousin had her baby a couple of weeks ago and wanted one, but she was at 10 CM when she arrived at hospital.
September 29th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I want to try and do it natural but if I need it I will get pain meds. I really dont want an epidural because I want to feel my legs and be able to move if I need to, I have no idea what to expect as far as pain so i'm pretty nervous lol

September 29th, 2013, 11:51 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Have I prepared for that? NO! I would probably die. Just kidding but I might want to.

I plan to have an epidural but plan to see how long I can go without it. I was doing great with Flynn until the Pitocin started flowing. I loved my epidural though.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
September 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
heh, I'd love a fast enough labor I couldn't get one! But mine have been getting longer and longer, so I doubt that will happen.

I've had 4 epidurals so far, with various results. With my last two, though, I was able to move my legs and feel the pressure of the contractions. It just didn't HURT. That way, I felt like labor was something I was doing rather than something being done to me.

I push myself to go as far as I can, but like Kendal, I've gotten to a point every time where I start having anxiety attacks with the contractions and hyperventilating, and such, and that's no help since *relaxing* is what helps you dilate. So then I just need it.

September 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I labor naturally. This will be my 2nd natural birth. I just feel very strongly about letting my body do its thing & birth the way it was made to birth.

Honestly, I think I'm more afraid of an epidural than the pain lol... Not the needle aspect, but the intervention domino effect and the side effects.
bajars2531 likes this.

September 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post
I was the opposite, I had planned to go all natural with ds1 and had horrible back labor. I remember comparing it to getting shot with a shot gun. When I found out I was only a 1.5, I caved and got one. I was panicking at that point. Hopefully that doesn't happen again
I told my DH it felt like someone was constantly cracking a 2x4 over my lower back/butt area. Although the shot over and over and over again with the gun I could see too.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
September 29th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I didn't have an epi with my first son and am hoping I can handle not getting one this time too. I'll be honest, the pain from the transitional contractions was killer... but once it was all over I was happy I didn't cave in and get the drugs. It was a very empowering feeling that I could go through the worst pain imaginable for my angel baby. I just kept telling myself I would do absolutely anything for him.

I have heard of women wanting the epi but it not working or it was too late for them to get it and instead of being proud of birthing without meds they feel bitter and angry that their birth didn't go as they had planned. I don't really understand that. I think we should all have open minds that things do not and will not always go as we had planned.

September 29th, 2013, 03:42 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have not had an epidural with my other kids - with Brylie, i was on the brink of getting stadol while i was getting induced. i was induced for pre-e/hellp disease ... it was 30 hours from start to finish, 20 hours of pitocin - so it wasnt that long, but my pit was HIGH. they usually max out at 30 - i was at 36-40, depending on where they had it set. thank god for my husband and my nurse....i tolerated the pain pretty well until i sat at 6cm for 9 hours, and i started crying because i was so discouraged, and the probability of a c-section became very real because brylie's HR was dropping down in to the 50's and i had mentally decided i would rather have an epidural than get put to sleep for an emergency c-section...so i sent my nurse for stadol, then got up to pee...and thank god she took me from 6-10cm with one contraction and i didnt get it...i more have to mentally prepare that i will end up with an epidural/csection.
CherryLimeade likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I can labor through induction meds with no pain med intervention I am positive I can do it again. I would really need to be in a rough spot in order to get a epi. I LOVE that after birth surge of endorphins!
CherryLimeade likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

September 29th, 2013, 07:02 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
With No. 2 I planned to go without drugs. But in the moment, I was panicking in my mind thinking "I can't do this", don't take me to the "birth center" room....yea...but it was too late anyways. I think they knew. I came in so late I could not even walk (or talk much) and needed someone to wheel me up to L&D. haha. They took me there anyways, instead of the standard delivery rooms where you get hooked up to IVs and can get epidurals. And then I realized "Oh, well, its too late and I don't have a choice anyways, so time to get brave." I don't know why I doubted myself at the last minute. I'm glad I did not have a "choice". It was not as bad as I thought it'd be. My first was induced with pitocin and was awful and I eventually got an epidural. Going natural was very empowering and I felt I recovered much more quickly afterwards. Also, I got that awesome rush of endorphins that I never really got with my first. It really is like a high. I was really afraid of the pain of crowning..and was pleasantly surprised when..it hurt for like 5 seconds and then naturally I went numb and didn't feel pain..that's how your body is supposed to work, pretty cool..i never knew that. So, my biggest fear was nothing to fear at all really. And the coolest part about that labor was I never had to push..no directed pushing....my body just like did it for me involuntarily..it was so cool and weird at the same time.

Last edited by JulieMc; September 29th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
September 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
I'm trying to be open about what happens. I'm afraid of the epidural, and the thought of not being able to feel my legs freaks me out. But I'm even more terrified of labor pain, so I'll probably end up doing the epidural.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, don't think that you automatically will not be able to move or won't be able to feel your legs at all... I could move AND still had quite a bit of sensation in my legs. I was in no way totally numb. I so hope that it goes that way again! It was pretty much perfect. I had pain relief but I still felt my contractions, the urge to push, etc.

September 29th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodyinthere View Post
Well, don't think that you automatically will not be able to move or won't be able to feel your legs at all... I could move AND still had quite a bit of sensation in my legs. I was in no way totally numb. I so hope that it goes that way again! It was pretty much perfect. I had pain relief but I still felt my contractions, the urge to push, etc.
Wow, that would be ideal!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 29th, 2013, 09:54 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ideally, if you labor naturally and you're relaxing through your contractions, you go into a sort of trance. It still hurts, you still feel it, but you can pretty much go into a bubble inside of yourself. I wasn't thinking at all when I was in labor, so getting pain meds didn't even cross my mind.

If you're planning on having a natural birth, I highly suggest practicing relaxation techniques and deep breathing well beforehand. I did my own version of hypnobirthing, I guess. I didn't pay for the lessons. I taught myself, and I've been practicing this pregnancy too.
bajars2531 likes this.

September 30th, 2013, 07:25 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryLimeade View Post
Ideally, if you labor naturally and you're relaxing through your contractions, you go into a sort of trance. It still hurts, you still feel it, but you can pretty much go into a bubble inside of yourself.
Yes! It is so strange, but it is true. You get in this trance like state if you can find a way to relax. If you are stressed and freaking out it doesn't work so well. I never got to get in this trance like state with my first because I was scared and they induced me with pitocin and wouldn't leave me the heck alone. I just couldn't relax and would tense up and fight every contraction. With no. 2 I labored mostly in the car and at home (quick labor - 3 hours start to finish) and had the baby less than an hour after arriving at the hospital, and by then I was already in my own world and they couldn't burst my bubble. Anyways, that's why it is so important to feel comfortable and try to relax.....when you aren't able it makes things harder.
Ame C and CherryLimeade like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search