Disappointed and Worried

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elisha33

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 05:47 AM
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes this past Friday. At the one hour screening my sugars were 222 and when doctors office called with the results Friday there was no talk of a 3 hour screening. I did not pass go but was sentenced to jail and an appointment was made with the diabetes center. I had the appointment yesterday during which I learned about what foods I could/couldn't have, got an individualized meal plan, received a glucose monitor and all it's supplies, and had to make an appointment with maternal fetal medicine which is next Wednesday. Having GD, I am almost guaranteed an induction before my due date. Don't get me wrong, Aria's health is obviously the most important thing but I can't help but be disappointed. I truly planned on having a completely natural birth (I spent countless hours put in researching and educating myself),and laboring in the comfort of my own home for as long as possible. But on top of all this is an issue with the due date. My last period was March 21, and I am positive because I always keep track, and this put my due date at December 26. During my 18 week ultrasound the doctor moved my due date to December 30th and at that time I was fine with it thinking that she will be here when she gets here. Well, now I am concerned. Gd can cause placental degradation, especially if you're on pills or insulin. I am afraid that by changing my due date this will jeopardize the babies health. Getting ahead of myself, I know, but I think it's a mom thing.
Anyone else here have or have had GD and if so, what can I expect at my first MFM appointment and future appointments????

Last edited by Elisha33; October 3rd, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
October 3rd, 2013, 07:42 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I have had GD in the past. Moving your DD back further is good it will give you a better chance of avoiding the induction.

Also, they will give you a growth ultrasound later to check the babies growth. If he/she is getting too big (and that is a pain because ultrasounds aren't exact) then they will want to induce. I think though that if you maintain your sugars you stand a better chance of avoiding the induction.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Thank you for responding swade66,
The issue with my due date isn't being induced, I am worried about the placenta aging faster and compromising the baby. It's a catch 22, I wanted a natural labor ( I realize that I can go med free even if I am induced but I have had pitocin before and no way do I want to push myself to handle those contractions) and although I don't want to be induced I am really terrified of going beyond my due date because of the issues that can arise fairly quickly with the placenta. With that being said, my mother is a diabetic, so I am very familiar with the diet and have been using one of her glucose monitors since Friday. My numbers are still running a little high, not horrible but higher than the 130 they want to see me at, and even though I have changed my eating habits for the last 6 days my fasting level is well above the 95 limit. Like I said, I am getting ahead of myself as I do not see the perinatologist until next Wednesday, but I have so many thoughts and fears running through my head now. This is my first high risk pregnancy so can anyone advise me on what to expect at those doctors visits?? If you have anything to share it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
October 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Beautiful Life!
I have GD and also didn't even have to do the three hour test because my one hour was over two hundred. Really, the Dr. wasn't even going to make me do the one hour, because I had GD my last pregnancy and he had me checking my blood sugar early and based off the numbers I was getting, we already knew I had GD. However, the dietician needed me to have the one hour test. My last pregnancy, my GD was easily controlled by diet and exercise. This pregnancy though, like you, my fasting numbers have been crazy, so they put me on insulin two weeks ago, just before bedtime. Last week, my numbers were still high, so they increased the insulin amount and this week my numbers were still high and rising again so they increased my insulin again. I'm now on double the amount I started on. However, this morning was the first time I had a fasting number of 84! I was so excited to have my first non-high fasting number! I live two hours away from where I'll deliver, to have a VBAC, so that's also where I see the dietician. Every week I fax them my numbers and they call to discuss any changes we need to make with my insulin, if needed. Then, I schedule my Dr. appt.'s and dietician appt.'s on the same day, so I don't have to make separate trips and I see my Dr. and them every two weeks now. They're watching baby's growth, and if there's any questions they'll do an ultrasound to make sure everything is good. The main goal right now is just stabilizing my sugar levels. I'm also learning this week, as they gave me an insulin pen to use before meals if needed, if my lunch and dinner meals cont. to be a little high or I expect they'll be high because I'm going out to eat or something. However, the dietician pointed out I wasn't eating enough carbs throughout the day and she thought that by focusing on that, my numbers will level out. I wasn't eating carbs with my bedtime snack (which they will insist you eat as well), and I wasn't eating carbs with my breakfast. So she pointed out my body was going more than 12 hours without carbs, just protein mostly. So I've been eating a little bit of carbs with every meal and snack and at least yesterday and so far today, my numbers have been amazing, so I hope it's working!

I don't know much about the concern of having to be induced. They won't induce me, due to the VBAC, so I just have to wait to go into labor naturally. Even though last time my husband and I rented a motel for a week and a half because I was 5 cm dilated and they didn't think I'd make the two hour drive once I went into labor. I haven't ever went past my due date and while I don't have small children, when they do the growth u/s, they're looking more for the size of the baby's head and shoulders than the baby's overall size, as it's the head and shoulders that are most of the concern. My last delivery went perfect, despite having GD and I'm praying this one is the same. I count on my Dr. and dietician to help me in keeping things as best as possible for my health and the baby's and know even if I don't get the delivery I want, we all worked together to try for that!

Good Luck! I understand the worries and stresses! Hope you get reassured by your Dr. or dietician soon!

October 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have to take insulin if you restrict all unsafe foods from your diet? Thst really seems like the safest option - to avoid insulin if at all possible. Just do all of the research you can regarding whether you NEED an induction or not. And definitely try natural induction before pitocin. A membrane sweep can sometimes work. It's less likely if you're being induced early, but IMO its worth a try. Or look into a cervidil induction instead of pitocin. I hope you can work out a healthy and safe plan for both you and baby. I know GD must be a bummer, but hey you only have to deal withh it for 3 months. Good luck mama!

October 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry~no knowledge to share, (((((Elisha))))).

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
October 3rd, 2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've finally started to calm down a little
mommamindy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search