Hospital Bag

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Tarheelbluii
  • 1 Post By eilla05
  • 3 Post By anybodyinthere
  • 1 Post By swade66
  • 2 Post By SurferRosa
  • 1 Post By Oriyan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran
So, I'm going to start to get things together for my hospital bag and was curious what you all recommend as must haves, don't bother, odd ideas etc that us first timers should consider packing.

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!
summerbaby1 likes this.
TTC #1 since 7/2011

Make a pregnancy ticker

IVF
Retreival 3/15
15 eggs
13 fertilized w/icsi
Transferred one blast 3/20
9 frosties
Beta # 1 8dp5dt 3/28-132!!!!
Beta #2 12dp5dt 4/1-868!!!
Spotting 4/12
Beta #3 23dp5dt 4/12-47,000
U/S-4/23 measured 7 wks 6 days; 162 HB!

October 21st, 2013, 02:27 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I pack minimally, so keep that in mind

Toiletries for shower
towel for shower
flip flops (or the kind without the toe thing) for shower and walking halls
warm fuzzy socks (I'm a sock girl)
*maybe* a robe, but it's bulky and I may not use it. Didn't need it last time.
go-home clothes
chap stick
brush
extra pony tail holder
minimal makeup
purse/insurance cards/ID...
baby go-home clothes
another set baby clothes (but easy to access bottom and belly button without taking top off)
camera, fully charged
phone & charger
laptop & charger (I don't have a smart phone and need to work with a REAL keyboard b/c of work LOL)

What hospital provides that I use there and first day or so at home:

gowns (I bleed a lot, and would rather not bleed on MY stuff, use it there, not on second day when I go home!)
netted honkin panties for the giant booty pads
giant booty pads (2 sizes)
water spritzer/squirt bottle for down below as you potty (helps a LOT)
pain spray stuff (I never remember the name, but it helps numb the nether regions post vaginal birth)
stool softeners (need it!)
Tux wipes for hemorrhoids (which I always seem to get 1 decent size one )
baby diapers
Baby wipes
I eat their meals, never have gotten anything from vending machines. If DH wants something to drink (coffee, water or I think tea), they provide it to spouse, if he wants to eat, he can go down to the cafeteria or get something himself
I use their baby blankets while there.
The "happy hookers" (crochet group of elderly ladies) makes little hats for the babies to keep so they wear those, and then there's they usual hospital hat, too, that we keep also.

When time to go home and DH comes, he'll bring:
baby car seat
baby blanket and cover from elements

At the end, with all the stuff we get (sometimes, a "free" enfamil or similac or pampers diaper bag with tons of samples, too) from the hospital makes us feel like we've been there a week!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Some people bring pillows and all that, but the pillows at this hospital haven't been bad. I've been able to sleep with them through 3 L&D's now.

ETA: my labors are pretty short, so we never needed magazines, games or anything like that. DH either watches a show on TV, or if I'm not on my laptop, he is

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!

Last edited by redbirds; October 21st, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
October 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm bad. I pinned a bunch of lists on Pinterest but haven't read through them yet. I need to. I want my bag packed by 36 weeks so I have a couple weeks.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^ she pretty much summed everything up. The hospital provides so much, so you really don't need to overthink it. I do bring extra pillows because I like to sleep with like 4+ of them, hehe. And sometimes they have a limit on how many they will give you.

October 21st, 2013, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would also throw in some hard candy, something light for you to read/do like crosswords, a notepad and pen, a tennis ball (helps for your back/shoulder etc if it hurts), and your own toilet paper roll. I swear that toilet paper that most hospitals use feels like sand paper on the girl parts right after!

Trying to think of what else I have on my list that i am to lazy to go to the car and get Might add more in a bit.

My bag and baby bag are two separate things
mommamindy likes this.

October 21st, 2013, 05:42 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told NOT to use toilet paper right after. The peri bottle and blotting with the five billion washcloths they have was what was recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilla05 View Post
I would also throw in some hard candy, something light for you to read/do like crosswords, a notepad and pen, a tennis ball (helps for your back/shoulder etc if it hurts), and your own toilet paper roll. I swear that toilet paper that most hospitals use feels like sand paper on the girl parts right after!

Trying to think of what else I have on my list that i am to lazy to go to the car and get Might add more in a bit.

My bag and baby bag are two separate things

October 21st, 2013, 06:07 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Pack the minimum. Pack EARLY! seriously, I encourage everyone to be packed by 34 weeks.

I will pack for myself...

2 pair of PJ pants
2 nursing tops
Comfy sweats, t-shirt and sweatshirt to go home in
Phone/Phone Charger
Slippers
Socks
Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash and Hairbrush
Laptop/Laptop charger
Nook/Nook charger

For baby...
Some comfy pants (the hospital has tops)
Picture outfit/Take home outfit

Marko will bring up the carseat when it is time to go home.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't pack much either--a couple of nursing tops, a nursing sports bra--going home clothes for me and baby. Tums! Last time I had terrible heartburn and the would only give me two every 4 hours! I was SO miserable until I got a script for Zantac from the midwife. Last time I didn't even wear pants, lol. I will bring some leggings and a pair of yoga pants, headband, shower stuff, chap stick, cash, video camera, tablet, and all appropriate chargers and that's about it.

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodyinthere View Post
I was told NOT to use toilet paper right after. The peri bottle and blotting with the five billion washcloths they have was what was recommended.
I wasn't given washcloths but was told to blot that first day or so with TP...and it was like sand paper......

October 21st, 2013, 06:35 PM
Quote:
I wasn't given washcloths but was told to blot that first day or so with TP...and it was like sand paper......
We had Tucks pads and I was told to wet the TP with my peri bottle and blot---I took a lot of sitz baths though right away, almost every time I used the bathroom. I healed super fast.

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 21st, 2013, 06:40 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I don't remember what I used. I think for a while it was wash clothes and then I just wet paper towels and blotted with them. Never anything dry.
SweetiePeas likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 21st, 2013, 07:02 PM
Beautiful Life!
Mine is pretty much the same as above and I agree with the toilet paper! It makes my husband more comfortable as well! I got anxious reading some of these because I don't have much ready yet! I still keep forgetting to even look in our shed to see if we still have a car seat with a base in there or if I gave them all away!

October 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They all pretty much covered everything. I remember using the tucks pads, peri bottle and dermoplasts. That spray was heavenly...
October 21st, 2013, 09:08 PM
SurferRosa's Avatar Doing it all over again
The #1 item I will be bringing no matter what, is my OWN facecloths and towels for me and baby!

Only because I work in a hospital, and I've seen where and what hospital towels and facecloths have been used....ewwwwww!!! I don't trust the hospital laundry cleaning, there has been linens that came from laundry, still stained, and I just threw them out because they did not look clean.
bajars2531 and summerbaby1 like this.
October 22nd, 2013, 03:37 AM
Super Mommy
I'm going to start packing after my baby shower this weekend...

Nala Anjali
Born Dec 9th
8 pounds 10 oz
October 22nd, 2013, 05:50 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
While you are in the hospital if you forget your own TP -- use your peri bottle and a large sani napkin to blot/dry/wipe with Hospital TP is worse than a cats tongue on those parts! Oh and while you are peeing, use your peri bottle. It will dilute the pee and prevent burning. The first 2 days WILL burn. A LOT.

I have a bag started -- it has a towel, 2 tank tops, one of DHs large shirts that I can wear post labor while in my mesh undies, a pair of shorts and yoga pants, socks, and ratty undies that I specifically saved for PP (old, worn, etc). Everything else I would need I can't put in until we head out anyway (makeup, hair brush, soap, etc). DH can bring the car seat when its time to go home, but you should bring if you have one your boopy with you! Even if you don't wanna nurse with it -- sitting on it provides MUCH relief!

Hint: Buy a package of prep H or tucks wipes, and place in your fridge now. This way, when you come home, you line your diaper-pad with those bad boys and OMG THE RELIEF IS INSTANT AND FEELS WONDERFUL and really brings down the cheeseburger sized swelling. I never needed the dermplast, I always used my tucks wipes probably for a good week.

Also, stock up on your favorite maxi-pad now (I didn't even go through an entire package! By the end of the first week, i switched to panti-liners since the bleeding was so scant and light). I liked the always overnight ultra-thins. Easier to line with tucks, and easier to sleep/walk around/etc in.

Also a bit of warning for FTMs who use tampons: Don't be surprised if after baby your regular brand no longer is comfy! I had to switch from Tampax to Playtex.
summerbaby1 likes this.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
October 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
Also a bit of warning for FTMs who use tampons: Don't be surprised if after baby your regular brand no longer is comfy! I had to switch from Tampax to Playtex.

I had to switch to a menstrual cup once I started getting periods again--tampons are not even an option anymore. But I LOVE my Luna cup, can't believe it took me so long to discover them.

I think I used Always Infinity extra long Over nights and they worked well for after birth. I didn't have too much heavy bleeding either, maybe for about a week or so.

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Omg I didn't touch toilet paper those first few days. I used the peri bottle and air-dried! Ouch I can't imagine!

October 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This sounds weird but I used bladder control pads (Tena Ultimate) for the first few days after birth...they are HUGE pads but I never leaked etc and they went great with the mesh undies . I already bought a bag of 36 that are in my closet waiting when I get home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search