Diastasis recti pain?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have diastasis recti from my first pregnancy. The split was pretty small, about 1.5 finger widths, when I got pregnant with baby girl. It has slowly gotten bigger over this pregnancy - which I expected. But I was hoping not so much - I can see it, and it's 5 finger widths right now

But now the muscles on either side of the split are starting to hurt, like I can feel them spreading further My belly did pop a lot in that last 4 weeks - and it's still going! I just don't know if the pain is something to be concerned about, or if it's normal for someone with an ab split. Has anyone else had pain like that?

I need to ask my OB when I go back next week.

October 22nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have it this pregnancy and have had some pain associated with it since about 22 weeks. PT has helped and the exercises at home too, so not painful all the time anymore. They did tell me this is something to worked on after baby too. Hope you don't suffer too long, Until this pregnancy I never even knew this could happen...
October 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
5 fingers?! Dear lord, I'm sorry! My SIL has this pretty bad and her dr speculates maybe hernia (she is due 1 month after me). Her midsection is very sensitive.

How can you tell how big? It's my 4th pregnancy and I suspect I have some degree of this but I don't have pain or discomfort. I just figure it is bound to happen. But I'm scared to check/know!
October 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I had to Bing that because I didn't know what it was. I'd ask the doctor.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 22nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Also so sorry yours is so big, and how I was told to check is to lay on my back and lift head up and feel above belly button with fingers widths.
October 23rd, 2013, 06:23 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I had it with my first -- split about 2-3 finger distance. Same with this one. I worked my abs out and it eventually went back together and I had no further issues. It doesn't cost me any pain or anything thankfully
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
October 23rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
I checked mine last night--2-3 finger width. Then I googled and that seems fairly common/normal especially for subsequent pregnancies so I am a bit relieved. What women go through, I tell you! And now we know where "mom belly" comes from!! It's not just frumpiness!
I already bought one of those girdle things to wear after the baby is born and I plan to fully research the right kind of ab exercises to do when I am able.
October 23rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
I know how big it is cause when I look in the mirror, I can see the separation under my skin!! It's a little scary. I do have a hernia, but it's small and not painful.

I think I'm making it worse than it would have been cause I've got a 22lb 16mo that I pick up daily.... I usually feel the pain when I do it, too. :/ There's not much I can do about that, though.

I thought about getting a postpartum belly band, but I'm not sure that I can with a hernia. Just one of the things I need to ask my OB.

October 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Yes--do ask. My SIL, aside from being uncomfortable, doesn't seem interested in DOING anything about her. And she has a toddler too so same issue. I carry my nearly 3 year old sometimes and it's awkward but doesn't hurt me much. Her dr said if it's a hernia she can have it repaired after the baby but she probably wouldn't because she may want more kids. (She is 37 like me, and this is her third.). Yikes.
October 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
I'd like to have my hernia repaired.. I want more kids, but not for at least 5 more years. From what I understand, the surgery is pretty simple and quick. I just worry about the recovery with a toddler and a baby - cause naturally I wouldn't be allowed to lift anything heavy for 6-8 weeks. I might just have to wait until they're a little older...

The diastasis recti I'll try to repair myself with exercises first. That surgery is a lot scarier. I think about 6 weeks postpartum was when I realized I first had it and it was about 4 finger widths...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search