Immunizations, eye goop, etc.

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is your stance on your new baby getting immunizations and eye ointment?

October 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Ugh! I don't even know anymore. I think vaccinations are important. Marko thinks our kids should never have another one ever.

These days I keep having horror stories thrown in my face about them. Like the Hep B vax...and the little boy who was born the same day as Elizabeth that died. They play it up that it was all the vaccines fault but the kid had symptoms and other conditions that meant he never should have gotten it when he did! Still...the fact that he died is what sticks with you. PLUS it isn't just an STD like people like to "shock" you with. You can get it other ways and yes, your infant can be exposed to it.

I don't know what to do anymore honestly. I want my kids protected from these things.

The eye stuff...that is to prevent transfer of STD? If so I might just decline that one all together.

The Vit K shot...again. Not sure how totally necessary that one actually is.

It's just the vaccines...I just...why is nothing easy?

Ok....so declining the eye ointment. http://pregnancy.about.com/od/newbor...r-At-Birth.htm

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Last edited by swade66; October 30th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
October 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Its law in my state to do eye goop, but we are going to delay by 1 hour. Vitamin K is not law here, and if there is no traumatic birth we will be not doing it. Our ped is having us delay all vaccines since we know my 1st has some serious issues with them (we have a perm med exemption) so we are skipping Hep B at birth -- which we would skip anyway at birth.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
October 30th, 2013, 10:55 AM
The Vit K is for blood clotting. I don't see harm in it but maybe we will do it later rather than sooner.

October 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see the harm in it. The hospital I deliver at gives the option of the Hep vacc soon after birth or it can be done later at the Dr's office. The eye stuff - meh whatever no big deal to me. It doesn't last that long anyways.

October 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara74 View Post
I don't see the harm in it. The hospital I deliver at gives the option of the Hep vacc soon after birth or it can be done later at the Dr's office. The eye stuff - meh whatever no big deal to me. It doesn't last that long anyways.
No big deal for the eye stuff but this is what it is for...

Quote:
Question: What are the newborn eye drops done for at birth?
Answer: After your baby is born, usually some time in the first hour or two, he or she will be treated with eye medication, usually referred to by parents as eye drops. This is actually an antibiotic ointment to protect your baby from developing an eye infection after birth, usually caused by gonorrhea or chlamydia.
So I don't really see the point in having it applied unless you have one of these.

October 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
Immunizations are really important to us. Sometimes I wonder if people who refuse them have ever had any experience with the diseases they prevent-- obviously with caveats for kids who cannot get them and I also understand modified/delayed schedules. My parents both had polio as children, and you can be sure I got my vaccines.

I don't know about the eye goop, here there's mandatory testing at your first appointment for the STDs that it treats. So, I don't think it's necessary for me but there really aren't many significant side effects so if they do it at my hospital, they do. Also don't see why not with the Vit K.

Last edited by JulieC7; October 30th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
October 30th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieC7 View Post
Immunizations are really important to us. Sometimes I wonder if people who refuse them have ever had any experience with the diseases they prevent. My parents both had polio as children, and you can be sure I got my vaccines.
THIS!

How horrible would I feel if my kid ended up with something that could have been prevented with a vaccine.

Except the flu...flu shots are dumb. I also don't like the chicken pox vaccine.

October 30th, 2013, 12:23 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I get it all... but I'm ok with those who don't get it all. It's a great thing we have to be able to choose, and hopefully do so without judgment
Oriyan and JulieMc like this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
October 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to answer, but after reading already I'm not even going there! LOL!

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
October 30th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
We will do vaccines.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 30th, 2013, 07:01 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Opting out of all of it.
October 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No eye goop--never had it with ds, no Vit K either. Vacs I delay and pick and choose

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 30th, 2013, 07:15 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
I get it all... but I'm ok with those who don't get it all. It's a great thing we have to be able to choose, and hopefully do so without judgment
^ what she said.

October 30th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No thank you to the eye goop and the Hep B. Will decide about Vit K as needed. We vax but on our own schedule.

October 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We decline it all. We wont circumcise, so Vit K most likely wont be necessary. If theres any serious bruising of the skull, we will do oral. Breastmilk/Colostrum is quite high in Vit K and it peaks at 8 days naturally.

i see no need for Hep B in a baby, unless there's some risk - like a known need for an organ transplant or something. But in general, hep b is a drug/sex disease.

eye goop? i dont have Chlamaydia, or any other STD for that matter, so its useless IMO.

Bath: we will do one at 36-48 hours old. I believe it's important to let the vernix soak in.

i wish i could find the huge post of newborn procedures i made in hunter's DDC, but it's gone. it took me like 3 hours to make it
*~ Joni ~* and hugssandi like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post

i see no need for Hep B in a baby, unless there's some risk - like a known need for an organ transplant or something. But in general, hep b is a drug/sex disease.

i wish i could find the huge post of newborn procedures i made in hunter's DDC, but it's gone. it took me like 3 hours to make it
That is one of my biggest vax/no vax pet peeves. If you don't want it don't get it but seriously Hep B is a blood/fluids disease NOT a drug/tattoo/sex disease. "Drugs and sex" are used for shock value and that annoys the pee out of me.
anybodyinthere likes this.

October 31st, 2013, 01:43 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
I would be okay with saying vaccines are a "live and let live" situation if vaccines were 100% effective. Unfortunately, vaccines work best when everyone is vaccinated. Last year there was an outbreak in New York that began with just a few people who had refused MMR vaccination. Okay so far, right? The people who didn't vaccinate accepted the risk that they and their children would get sick with preventable diseases. Unfortunately, once an outbreak starts, it isn't so easy to stop. Families who had vaccinated, but had been unlucky in being some of the 5% or so who don't get full immunity from the vaccine, started getting sick. Brooklyn Measles Outbreak Shows Risks - WSJ.com

If a couple of people here and there refuse vaccination, no big deal. If it starts being accepted that there are just two options, and it's just a personal choice with no effect on your community, and we get below a 90% vaccination rate, we WILL start having outbreaks of preventable diseases and kids who were vaccinated WILL get sick. Many of the anti-vaccine advocates know this, even saying you can rely on herd immunity to keep your kid from getting sick. But herd immunity stops existing if most people don't vaccinate.

That is, people who don't vaccinate (when they could, obviously some children have real medical reasons for not being able to be vaccinated) are depending on the rest of us to keep their family from getting sick, while at the same time making it more likely that we all will get sick.

Currently, thankfully, the U.S. still has very high vaccination rates because most people vaccinate their children. Less than 1% of young kids did not get any vaccines in 2012 (there are higher rates of refusal for certain vaccines like Dtap). But if you look at countries where there are larger numbers of people not vaccinating, like England BBC News - Measles outbreak in maps and graphics, it gets a bit scarier. England has a better health care system than the U.S. (more people have access to basic health services) and at least the same infrastructure for hygiene and public health. They began having thousands of cases of a completely preventable, possibly fatal disease when enough people stopped vaccinating. And guess what? Now their MMR vaccination rates are at record levels because everyone learned their lesson-- but lots of middle-school aged kids who weren't vaccinated are still at risk.

And so, that is why I do not believe that we should accept vaccination refusal (without medical reason) as an equally-okay alternative to vaccination.
October 31st, 2013, 08:23 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Blood and fluids, yes...but honestly, a typical, healthy newborn..how much body fluids are the exposed to? not a whole heck of a lot. someone in healthcare, a prostitute, or someone doing drugs with dirty needles? Yes, exposed to more than your average newborn this is why i added if i knew my baby would need a transplant or something right away, i would consider it way more than I will a baby whose in my care at all times. granted something catastrophic could happen - like a carwreck, but the mix of body fluids is small even in that instance, and on the chance that they would need a blood transfusion or something...i guess i would hope the blood was screened, and though i know the process is not perfect..neither are vaccinations. to me, hep b is definitely one thing where in a typical healthy newborn, the risks of a vaccine reaction outweigh the risk of a baby contracting hep B

and i wont even touch on the herd immunity discussion
*~ Joni ~* and hugssandi like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; October 31st, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
October 31st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Germany is so different than the states. Eye ointment and Hep B at birth is not even offered. They do give oral Vit K to every baby at birth and 2 wks. We will be doing that because, why not?

Hep B is a core vax here, its just not given until 3 months, so he will get it then.
ChicaChels likes this.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search