Curious

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2013, 06:04 PM
For anyone who would like to take the time to fill me in, I'm really curious about your maternity/parental leave from work that you're entitled to in the USA. I know it is vastly different for me here in Canada, but I'm not fully aware of what amount of time you get with your baby before you need to return to work. I'm very curious, seeing as how we're neighbouring countries.
October 31st, 2013, 06:44 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
It depends.

I get 6 weeks at 100% for a vaginal and 8 weeks at 100% for a C-section. My husband gets 1 week paid.

Some people only get 60% of their pay. Some get 0%.

If your company has 50+ employees the least they have to do is hold your job for 12 weeks.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
October 31st, 2013, 07:49 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like swade said, if your employer is large enough, they have to hold your job for 12 weeks but there is nothing that says they have to pay you anything.

My job gives me the 12 weeks with 0 pay. I have to either use sick days to get paid or file for short term disability which is a fraction of my pay.

People who work for smaller employers are at the mercy of whatever that company's policy is.

November 1st, 2013, 05:29 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Yup. We have FMLA in the States (Family Medical Leave Act) for both moms and dads. If your employer has over 50 employees AND you have worked 1,250 hours during a 12 month period AND you have been at your job for 1 year or more, your job is protected. They must hold your job for 12 weeks. You don't get paid unless your State allows Short Term Disability and you pay into it.

However, not everyone in the States works at a place with 50 employees. So we are left to dealing with company policies or in my case, just talking to your bosses and working something out. Some companies offer a 12 week "personal leave" where you can "ask" for time off and be granted it and your job is protected if you don't qualify for FMLA. But again, every company is different.

In my case where I only work in a law firm with 35 employees, my last day going into the office is November 22. But I will continue to work at home until Lucas is born. Then I get 2 full weeks off (paid). Then have to work at home for 2 weeks (paid), then work part time in the office (paid). Then return once Lucas is 6 weeks old and starts day care. It was important to me to not lose any money because we have a lot of bills and no savings, so this works out the best for my family and my employer.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
November 1st, 2013, 06:30 AM
Thanks, ladies! It's interesting hearing the differences. It surprises me that, being neighbouring first world countries, the policies are so different from each other! I have a full year at home with my newborn with my employer having to hold my job, so I couldn't fathom going back so soon. You are all amazing for going back to work after only 12 weeks! I can't imagine the strength it must take with a new bundle of joy at home.
November 1st, 2013, 06:33 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
12 Weeks FMLA - all with NO PAY. I have two weeks vacation and they will make me use that vacation time during my 12 weeks. I don't get an extra 2 weeks off still only 12 weeks but two of those will be paid becuase of my vacation time.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
November 1st, 2013, 06:36 AM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
I'm Canadian too and this sounds like it SUCKS. All of you ladies need to move to Canada

November 1st, 2013, 06:38 AM
I know a lot of people wish we had the 12 months off but I don't.

First, it is hard enough going back after 6 or 8 weeks. It would be REALLY hard to go back after a year.

Second, I would have to be replaced at work for that year. Why would my company want me back after going through all that trouble to hire and train someone. Plus how is that fair to the temp worker.

I don't know. I just know...a year feels like too much to me. I'd take another couple weeks max.

November 1st, 2013, 06:55 AM
I think it's all what you get used to and what style you prefer. No right or wrong answer. Kind of like some people choose to never go back to work, and some choose to take less time off then what they are entitled to because of their career. At first I thought that a year was a long time, but it flew by and at the end of the year I thought that I really wanted to be off longer with my little one! I think people just adapt to their circumstances and learn to cope with what they have.
November 1st, 2013, 07:07 AM
I guess to me I have to go back to work so I would rather just do it. lol

Plus so far we have been lucky to have family keep our kids and while it still SUCKS having to leave them our family is really glad to have that time to bond with them too.

November 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I stay at home, so all I can tell you about is what it was like when I worked during my first pregnancy.

I was given 8 weeks unpaid leave from teaching. I was able to use short term disability to pay 60% of my salary for a couple of those weeks, but first I had to use all my sick time up. Then, I was allowed to take another 4 weeks unpaid leave for a maximum or 12 weeks, but I never did.

My husband can use his sick time as parental leave. This time, he will take 2 weeks off and then possibly work half days for another week using his vacation time. There is no built in parental leave for him, but he can take up to 12 week unpaid leave if justified. We can't afford that though.

November 1st, 2013, 12:59 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the 12 weeks FMLA unpaid but my short term disability pays me 60% of my salary for 6 weeks (vaginal) or 8 weeks (c-section). If I could be off a year I would jump at it. I very much envy Canadian moms.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search