Internal exams

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oriyan
  • 1 Post By Betts

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
When are internal exams supposed to start?

They checked me at my last two appointments because I told them that I was having pelvic pain (even thought I told them that it was my pelvic bones that were hurting, I guess they still wanted to check).

So they checked at my 31 week appointment and my 33 week appointment. Tomorrow is my 35 week appointment and I wanted to tell them that I've been having a lot of cramping, these past few days. They feel like pretty moderate menstrual cramps, but I'm afraid they'll do another exam to check my cervix.

Is it ok for them to do so many at this point? I should tell them my symptoms anyway, to make sure everything is okay, right?

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

November 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Generally they start around 35/36 when they do the GBS swab. OBs anyways. Midwives tend to be more hands-off, though some may offer. Before that most OBs and midwives don't unless they have reason to suspect you might be going into preterm labor.

I never really minded them in past pregnancies, but this time...the past couple times, it has kicked off contractions lasting a good 2-4 hours every time...

As for the safety...I'm not sure. There's always the risk of stirring things up. :/

November 10th, 2013, 08:24 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
With each internal, there is a risk for increased infection. However, at 35 weeks, you may also get the GBS test, which is another peek down there and if you mention the symptoms, while they are there, they may check.

My OB checked just cuz she was down there anyway (didn't request it), and as suspected, not much going on. I'm sure she'll check again at my 37 week, as I had DD2 at 37+2, so she'll check to see what's going on.

Some docs don't check until 37 weeks, others may not do internals until closer to 38 or 39. It just depends on the OB and the patient's history or symptoms.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
November 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd tell them your symptoms but refuse a check. My dr wouldn't even get near that area until 36 weeks unless I was bleeding or in labor.
November 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a check at 26 weeks because I was contracting and he wanted to know where my cervix was. I had my GBS swab done at my last exam and have had several cervical lengths and fFN done but no other finger checks. I probably won't get another unless I am in labor or looking at induction.

November 11th, 2013, 02:55 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
My OB checked at my 34 week last Thursday. He used a speculum to peek but didn't go poking around down there-- took maybe 5 seconds. He was also doing the GBS. Did seem to be pretty careful.

He also failed to warn me what a GBS test involved. It was quite a surprise! Still all 'high and tight' lol. I didn't cramp or spot, but I usually have none of that with paps or anything.

I am also having the cramps like the first day of my period. Kinda come and go, but way too long to be contractions. I never thought about it. So much going on down there. My BHs have started to get a little more painful instead of just uncomfortable too.
November 11th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Kelizah's Avatar Veteran
I had my gbs done last week at 36+4 but she just swabbed, no exam. I was also hooked up to a nst test so she said lets just wait another week to start internals.. I'm super crampy but I don't think anythings really going on anyway.

November 11th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
My first pregnancy they did the first exam at 36 weeks along with the swab test.

November 11th, 2013, 05:23 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB doesn't do checks until around 36-37 weeks. I've been having a lot of menstrual like cramping (sometimes quite painful) the past few weeks. OB asked if I had cramping. I said, yes but they go away with rest and water. He said that was good and dropped the subject. Your OB may just do regular checks at this point anyways but like others have said, you can refuse.

November 11th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I had one done at 36+3 with my GBS exam because the night before I was up all night with contractions. I don't plan on anymore exams and will refuse any others unless i am having issues.

Andddd for anyone who doesn't know what the GBS test involves, its a long q-tip swab (no speculum) that is inserted about 1-2 inches into the vagina and swabbed around and then dragged along your anus (the outside only). Some doctors don't do the rectum part but most do.
TwinMamaS likes this.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
November 11th, 2013, 05:32 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Usually my doctor doesn't check until 36 weeks. I did get checked at 33 I think it was because of cramping and history.

I think I am going to decline a check until Thanksgiving week and I will be 37 weeks.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
November 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Varies based on your OB and their preferences. You can always refuse an exam. My midwife doesn't do routine checks here I don't believe but will if I request it. I am going to once I hit 37 weeks to see where I am but most likely won't after that point until I got into labor. There is always a chance of them stirring things up or getting an infection but the chance is almost slim to none in both cases so I personally don't worry to much about it.

November 11th, 2013, 10:08 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
What is that GBS test for?
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
November 11th, 2013, 10:19 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakr View Post
What is that GBS test for?
Group B streptococcus (GBS) is a type of bacterial infection that can be found in a pregnant woman’s vagina or rectum. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina and/or rectum of about 25 % of all healthy, adult women.
Those women who test positive for GBS are said to be colonized. A mother can pass GBS to her baby during delivery. GBS is responsible for affecting about 1 in every 2,000 babies in the United States. Not every baby who is born to a mother who tests positive for GBS will become ill.
Although GBS is rare in pregnant women, the outcome can be severe, and therefore physicians include testing as a routine part of prenatal care.

Group B Strep Infection: GBS | American Pregnancy Association

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
November 11th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think my OB starts at 36/37 weeks. You do not have to get one if you do not want one. I do not mind them and am always curious to see what is going on.
November 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
Ok, thanks girls. My appt is in an hour. I'll mention the cramping to him and see what he says. I think he's pretty gentle, I never had any cramping or pain when he checked me before. I'll let you guys know what happens.
swade66 likes this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

November 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I refuse them. Lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search