Induction- Sunday Night

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes
  • 4 Post By bajars2531
  • 2 Post By monkeymama2
  • 1 Post By anybodyinthere
  • 1 Post By hugssandi
  • 3 Post By JulieMc
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 3 Post By mgail
  • 3 Post By ChicaChels
  • 2 Post By Brittanie
  • 2 Post By SurferRosa
  • 2 Post By mgail

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2013, 05:21 AM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
Went to the doctor yesterday and we're officially scheduled to go in for an induction Sunday night unless the baby comes on her own before then. I'm planning to walk a lot, dtd and eat eggplant parmesan on Saturday. I was only 1 cm yesterday and still pretty thick so I'd like to get things going a little on their own before going in.

My regular OB was out yesterday so I was totally thrown off. I thought we were going to talk about inducing on Sunday and the OB substitute told me to go on in.

For those of you with experiences with sweeping the membranes and induction, do you think it is ok for me to ask about this when I get to the hospital? How far dilated and effaced do you have to be in order to do that anyway? Any advice is appreciated!

I guess I don't know what will happen when I get there so it is freaking me out a little bit. I like to know every detail and not knowing is giving me major anxiety. Also, I am a FTM so I am a little freaked anyway to have a "date." AHHHH!!! I can't wait to meet my little one but I'll be so on edge for the next few days!

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

November 28th, 2013, 06:11 AM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your cervix isn't favorable I would hesitate to consent to an induction, unless medically necessary. You could definitely have a membrane sweep, I had mine done 3 days before my last induction, I think I was at a 2 maybe? It didn't do much, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you. If I may ask, what is the reason for the scheduled induction? First babies are commonly post 40 weeks. It sounds as though everything is going fine for you; I just hate when docs mess with things when there isn't a problem--inductions increase risk so, so much. You could always try using EPO inserted vaginally to soften your cervix, have lots of sex, walking--all those things COULD stimulate labor, but if your LO isn't ready she isn't going to come out. Good luck, if you do get induced you have options. My hospital doesn't routinely use pitocin if the cervix is unfavorable, just advocate for yourself and don't let anyone push you. Some hospitals have a tendency to do what is easiest for them not what is best for mom and baby. If you and baby girl are healthy you can request to wait to be induced.

Make a pregnancy ticker

November 28th, 2013, 06:24 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^agree. I was induced with my first 2, a week past due date. It went fine but I would not ever do it early. I was probably 2cm when they started pitocin....painful contractions. After a while they broke my water and then things progressed quickly.
Meggie26 and mgail like this.
November 28th, 2013, 06:44 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah inductions can go smoothly if you are primed and ready to go, but if I was only 1 cm, I wouldn't agree to one, personally.
mgail likes this.

November 28th, 2013, 08:02 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No answers, just (((((mgail))))).
mgail likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
November 28th, 2013, 08:12 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I was going to suggest what some of the others said already as well. If you haven't dilated or effaced more, or anything else, you might want to consider asking to hold off because for a first time mom with an unfavorable Bishop score, the odds are something like 50% that you'll end up with a c-section. A membrane sweep would be a good attempt to get things going, but I'm not sure how dilated you need to be...I'd guess at least enough to fit a finger in? Just also be aware with that there's a chance your water could break (it happened to me, but still got things started).

Good luck!! I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Meggie26, bajars2531 and mgail like this.

November 28th, 2013, 08:45 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I agree with being favorable and having a solid Bishop's score, especially as a FTM. You definitely don't want to end up in a c/sec if you don't have to have one. I think for a membrane sweep, you can have it done at any time, but if you are not dilated much or still thick or not effaced a great deal, it won't do much and can be painful.

I'm getting my membranes swept on Thursday (a week) and I'm already 2 cm and 50% effaced, and suspect I'll be more by then with all the walking, standing, rocking, sex and EPO I'm doing I'm hoping it helps get something going, especially if my BP goes nuts again (monitoring here at home and it's been off except one reading yesterday at doc's office).
mgail likes this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
November 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks ladies, this is helpful information gives me more confidence to question them when I get there, especially if I'm not progressed any further than what I was yesterday.

They didn't want to risk me going past my due date because I had some placental bleeding midway through my pregnancy and I'm a little older for a first time mom at 37. During the bleeding episodes they were just hoping they could get me past 24 weeks so it is a blessing from God that I've made it this far. I'll definitely be working on getting things going before Sunday to hopefully help increase my chances of a successful induction and vaginal birth.

November 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do they want to induce you? Many want to use cytotec (misoprostol) and I would encourage anyone to research that before consenting to it. Also, i would get a good adjustment from a chiro whose familiar with pregnant women to help get your baby in a good position to promote a vaginal birth. You could also get a round of acupuncture, to help encourage labor.
Meggie26, bajars2531 and mgail like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Just putting this out there too...

I had unfavorable bishop's scores for both Erin and Allison. And Allison with cytotec (which I didn't feel like did much at all). Ask all the questions you have. Follow your gut. You'll make the best decision for you.
bajars2531 and mgail like this.

November 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM
SurferRosa's Avatar Doing it all over again
Membrane sweeps can be done when your cervix is soft, otherwise it may be too painful. My midwife already offered to do one, but I decided to wait until next week. My track record with all my pregnancies is 42 weeks and the scheduled induction was for the following day, luckily, I would go into labour the night before so I've never experienced one.

I had a MS done for the first time with my last pregnancy. I had it done twice and within 2 days, I went into labour. Now, I'm using EPO both orally and vaginally, drinking raspberry leaf tea 3-4 times a day and eating pineapple. It must be working since my cervix is already soft and I'm about 50% effaced. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be overdue as late as usual.
Meggie26 and mgail like this.
November 29th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Thanks y'all, this is all very good info. I'm going to be VERY inquisitive before I let them give me anything!! They may get frustrated at me, but oh well!

I think I'm going to go into my last day of work today, just to keep my mind off things.
redbirds and bajars2531 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search