Pumping

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I am strictly pumping at this point. Ashlyn can only breast feed once a day because she needs to conserve her energy to put on weight and hopefully close up her VSD - so I haven't even bothered putting her to the breast and Thomas won't latch.

I've been pumping regularly for a week and a half now and I just started taking fenugreek.

But I'm getting really frustrated because:
- my boobs are so sore
- I feel like I'm not getting as much as I should be. My first pump of the morning is great (anywhere from 4-6 oz) but subsequent pumpings I'm only getting 2-3 oz. I would need to yield at least 32 oz per day to cover their feedings, but I'm not even close.
- With two babies feeding every 3 hours and trying to take care of my husband and myself, I feel like there just isn't enough time to pump as often as I should.

I'm using a Medela double electric pump that I got through my insurance company. I think the Symphony I was using at the hospital worked better for me, but I can't afford to rent one indefinitely.

I'm just feeling really discouraged. Before birth I thought I would just nurse both babies at the same time and feedings would be a breeze, but it just didn't work out that way. I want to give my babies breast milk instead of relying solely on formula (both babies are on Enfacare mixed with breast milk), but at times I feel like just giving up on pumping.

Any advice?
December 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My first son was premature and ended up in the nicu, which ultimately led to me exclusively pumping for him for 10 months. It is possible! I joined the EP'ing board here and found other ladies who were doing the same for various reasons. If there is a will, there is a way but it is very time consuming and more difficult that breastfeeding or formula feeding.

First, you should not be sore from pumping. You might need a different sized flange. If you are larger breasted, the medium that comes with the pump might be too small causing the sides of your nipples to rub against the inside of the flange and cause soreness. The other possibility is you might have the suction on too high. Having it up on max doesn't necessarily equate to more milk. You should just turn it as high as you feel comfortable.

Just pump as much as possible to keep your supply up. Are you pumping overnight?? It sucks but is a necessity in the early months. I remember pumping before bed around 1030 pm, then once overnight around 2-3 am, and then first thing in the morning around 7. Then it was pumping every 3-4 hrs all day long. Try to keep your water intake and remember to eat yourself!! If you EP, you need to change the little white membranes on your pump every 3-4 wks because they do wear out and your pump won't be as sufficient.

Good job, momma! You are doing fantastic for your little twins
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
December 22nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
I don't have any advice for you b/c my baby won't latch on since birth.. I also tried pumping and nothing.. so I'm just giving her formula Simalic advance. I really wanted to breast feed baby but I guess she had another plans.... I think her butt is just to lazy to pull the milk... lol..

Nala Anjali
Born Dec 9th
8 pounds 10 oz
December 22nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
If you are determined to pump -- take fenugreek and eat oatmeal. I currently am able to pump 8-10oz in the morning, and then 5oz every 3 hours. You should try and pump every 2 hours even if you can only pump for 5 minutes. The more you pump, the more your body will respond. Supply and Demand.

Have you tried a nipple shield for Thomas?

Your husband should be taking care of himself so you can feed the twins! He's a big boy!
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
December 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking*

Pumping for twins is rough, Mama...I felt the same overwhelmed feeling when I brought my preemie twins home. Hang in there...it does get better once you get your supply/routine established.

Ditto the advice about flange size; it made a huge difference for me when I got a larger flange! Also make sure you are super hydrated; I noticed that even the littlest decrease in water really affected my supply.

I would also recommend putting Ashlyn to breast even that once a day, because that can help stimulate your supply as well.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To not repeat the advice your given... You might even go buy a manual pump. I never had one with my first and I have one this time and never even use my electric one. I can hand pump one side at a time so much quicker. Plus I have more control of it.

When your pumping, once you stop getting milk, try massaging your breasts and push from the back of your breasts forward. Also take a 10 minute break and pump again. I can usually get another ounce per side that way. Chug a glass of water during that break too. It often causes another letdown.

Traditional medicinals has mother milk tea that works really well. Add honey to improve the taste.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search