Baby Names...

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 1 Post By CherryLimeade
  • 1 Post By hugssandi
  • 1 Post By monkeymama2
  • 2 Post By CherryLimeade

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
We've had so many threads about what we were going to name our babies BEFORE they were born. Now, they are here! Does the name you chose suit your LO? Did it flow naturally for you, or did it take a while to get used to calling baby by name? Did you get any guff for the name?

It took us almost 2 days post-birth to decide on a name, and even then, I kept going back and forth. I almost called the birth certificate folks to change it later that night! It took me over a week to get used to calling her by name, it never seemed to magically roll off of my tongue, but now, I think it fits. I would call her by a few other names we had on our list, even the ones DH liked and I hated, and nothing magically seemed IT, but her name suits her best of all, I think. So, it took us a while to get used to calling her by name, I still stumble to it a bit, but nothing else is a better name!

I know our families aren't CRAZY about the name, but they would never say it. My mom says it's our choice, it's our baby, and the name isn't awful and she's beautiful, so she loves the name because she loves the girl it's attached to! Seems to be the sentiment. Some strangers will jump enthusiastically at how different it is, and others will just give me that fake smile and go, "oh... what a beautiful girl!" Eh, whatever

Kids call her by name quite easily, and her NN is Peanut, so

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!

Last edited by redbirds; December 28th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
December 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I think their names suit them, although we mostly call them by nicknames/pet names. For Ashlyn, it's: Ash, little girl, princess, or lady. For Thomas, it's: T-bone, little man, my sweet man, buddy, buddy boy, or muffin. My mother started calling Thomas "T" at the hospital and I put a stop to that right away. I'm sure he'll be a Tom or a Tommy when he gets older, but for now I like to call him Thomas. Some people have gotten confused with Ashlyn's name and call her Ashley (even DH's grandmother called her Ashley at one point) but once I correct them they tell me it's a beautiful name. It means dream and she certainly is my dream baby - she's so calm and peaceful. Thomas' name means twin which is certainly applicable. I named him after my father and he seems to have a fiery temperament just like his grandpa.

I definitely agree though, it was hard deciding whether or not their names would fit them when they were first born but I think as time goes on they'll grow into them.
December 28th, 2013, 01:21 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Laila means night beauty/born at night. I told myself if she had dark hair and a darker complexion I would name her Laila. She has both.

It took a little while to stop calling her Sofia (DD1's name). My mother being her typically difficult self acts like it's the most complicated, foreign name ever. She keeps asking me what her name is and then calls her, Lila. Lila is a beautiful name but it isn't her name. I was like it's not a difficult name. It's pronounced how it's spelled for one. It's not exactly uncommon either considering it's the 11th most popular girl's name in the US. Aside from her, I haven't gotten any negativity about her name.

December 28th, 2013, 01:28 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Laila is a beautiful name and I can't believe your mom is giving you grief about that! :crazy:

Ashlyn and Thomas already seem to be the perfect names for your twins So cool how it all seems to come together!

We had a hard time with names with kiddos, too. When DS was born, I kept calling him sweet baby GIRL (due to DD1) and it took me a couple weeks to stop that! And then same with DD2, following DS, I called her handsome Good grief. This one gets called DD2's name a lot I guess it never ends!

And, yes, we use all the pet names, too... sweet girl, monkey, little love, etc... So much easier to call her that than her true name sometimes (and that was the case with all of them!) I think there is a need to really connect the baby to the name as an identification and it takes me that time, really, so I use pet names.
kara74 likes this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 28th, 2013, 01:41 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Laila's nicknames so far are squishy, my little cat (her cry sounds like a cat sometimes), little lady, little old lady (she sometimes looks like an old woman in a baby's body lol), and bossy/boss.

December 28th, 2013, 01:50 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ha our DDC has Laila, Lila, Lilah, is there another I'm forgetting?

I don't know if y'all remember, but I was deadset on Lilah months ago and didn't tell anyone[! Not even DH, cause he just said no to every name I suggested. I waited and got what I wanted

It's still funny calling her by name, but not so bad. It was much weirder with my son, who we didn't name until a week old. But I adore his name now - Nicholas.
summerbaby1 likes this.

December 28th, 2013, 02:41 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are very happy with Whit and get compliments on his name continually.
summerbaby1 likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
December 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
It's funny because we had a boys name picked out when we first found out we were expecting and he would be Tyler Andrew. When we found out we were having a girl we went back and forth and could not agree on a name. At first DF didn't like the name I picked out but we both started referring to her by it and then he actually fell in love with it.
Lila was my paternal grandmother's name and even though I never got to meet her I grew up feeling as if I knew her. She raised 4 boys back in the 50s-60s as a single mom, was a person of faith, an amazing cook and just someone who loved her family more than life itself and was the glue that kept my dad's side of the family together. I researched and found that Lila has several meanings depending on the language and in Hebrew one of the meanings is "you are mine". Alexandria, her middle name is from Alexander and means "defender of mankind". I love both of her names and can't imagine her having any other.

December 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
My family is crazy. My mom was not a fan of Colleen because its the name of her ex-husband's mother (my grandmother...but I've not seen my bio dad or her since I was like 8), which honestly I did not know until after we'd chosen the name. The name I thought was her name was not....she went by her middle name, Colleen is actually her first name. My dad wasn't the biggest fan of Kevin because he said all the Kevins he has known were troublemakers. Good thing I don't give a c-rap about what anyone thinks! No one has has had anything bad to say, and most say its a good combo.

I think their names suit them well, and can't imagine them being called anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryLimeade View Post
Ha our DDC has Laila, Lila, Lilah, is there another I'm forgetting?

I don't know if y'all remember, but I was deadset on Lilah months ago and didn't tell anyone[! Not even DH, cause he just said no to every name I suggested. I waited and got what I wanted

It's still funny calling her by name, but not so bad. It was much weirder with my son, who we didn't name until a week old. But I adore his name now - Nicholas.
I have a 3-year-old Lyla. It and its variations are so popular now. It's crazy. We named her after a song by our favorite band (Oasis)...lol..little did we know it'd be so trendy.

December 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We wanted Dash and kept it. Everyone was very surprised. Mostly complimentary, except MIL who found it odd. I'm still getting used to saying it out loud. I think it takes getting used to but it's not offensive or TOO bizarre...just different.
hugssandi likes this.
December 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
It took awhile to even come up with a name at all. Once she was born she didn't fit too many of the names on our list. We went with Aralyn Leylani and while I love it, I knew someone in my family would have something to say about it.. Asking if Aralyn is even a real name and what kind of name is Leylani. Ugh! Either way, Im pleased with her name and it suits her well.

December 29th, 2013, 12:29 AM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie26 View Post
It took awhile to even come up with a name at all. Once she was born she didn't fit too many of the names on our list. We went with Aralyn Leylani and while I love it, I knew someone in my family would have something to say about it.. Asking if Aralyn is even a real name and what kind of name is Leylani. Ugh! Either way, Im pleased with her name and it suits her well.
That's just mean! I mean what's the point in even telling you they don't like it? Do they expect you to change your baby's name to make them happy? Lol I'd tell them to kiss my butt. Her name is very pretty
redbirds and SweetiePeas like this.

December 29th, 2013, 08:07 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
Emeric Scott was named a couple of years before he was born. But, we didn't tell anyone the name in case it didn't fit him once he was here. I think it is perfect. Now I can't imagine him being called anything else. It took me about a day in the hospital to decide for sure.

A few people really like his name. I don't think my parents love it, but they haven't said anything.
December 29th, 2013, 08:58 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Liliana Joy wasn't easy coming and I didn't even love it. I wanted Rosalie in the worst way. Calling her Liliana didn't come easy but that's mostly because I couldn't register as real in my brain. I kept calling her Flynn.

Now her name suits her. It is beautiful and so is she.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
December 29th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
I think Hayden suits him. The other day my friend said "he does look like a Hayden!" Lol. Ok then. There was thoughts about other names but they totally would not fit his personality. Although, I had someone comment the name is "country" ... What??? HOW the heck is Hayden a country name ?!

Meh. You know what they say about opinions

December 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Still getting used to Arabella. I really wanted to use Isabella, but thats way too popular right now, so went with a variation. Not to mention dh really didn't like much that I suggested, but in the end got my way,lol. I really love her name and think its pretty.

I haven't really had any negativity , except my grandma just said its different which has me thinking she doesn't care for it. Also, my FIL kept calling her ARAB for short. He wanted us to name her Grace Arabella, instead of the other way around to honor his mom who passed in January. Her first name was Grace. I think my MIL talked to him about calling her that, because he stopped. It just doesn't sound like a nice nickname.

I call her squishy and peanut,like some of you guys. She is the smallest of all my babies. I eventually will just call her Bella.
December 30th, 2013, 06:30 AM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we get compliments on her name alot.. but i always wonder if they're just being polite lol!!!

i do like her name...but most of the time i call her little monkey, squirmy worm or btterfly.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
December 30th, 2013, 08:02 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We get asked quiet often if we like beef or if we are going to name the next one LeBron! DH is a big basketball fan but our Koby was NOT named after THAT Kobe! Even the spelling is different! His friends just like to give us a hard time! It's OK. We can deal!

December 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you guys remember, back in August I posted about my BFF hating Maverick As a name. She's the only outwardly negative reaction we've had. A lot of FB friends of my friends commented on the name when he was hospitalized, but all were positive comments.

His Name definitely fits Him. I call him MJ in text but usually maverick in talk. Sam calls him Mack and the kids call him mav.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I honestly don't understand the name "suiting" a person or a person "looking like" a name. lol I've called him Owen since we decided. It is who he is, regardless. Same with all my others.

I find myself just calling him "baby" a lot, but I have done that with all my kids. I still call Allison baby sometimes, which is weird now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search