How are you feeling mommies?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By summerbaby1
  • 1 Post By novastar222

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
How's the post partum life? Besides the sleepless nights how are you holding up?
What are you enjoying the most or struggling with the most?

Have you taken anytime for yourself since little one has been born?

So far things are pretty good here. There have definitely been some difficult moments…DF has woken up at 5 am to find me and Lila both bawling our eyes out…her from being fussy and me from total exhaustion and hormones. That's probably my least favorite- just the hormone overload combined with sleeplessness. Otherwise I am absolutely head over heels in love with this baby girl and I never thought I would say this, but I love breastfeeding. I'm such a go-go-go person that she forces me to sit down for 20- 45 min and just relax…I either watch tv, or read or get on here and it's so nice sometimes.
I haven't had a lot of time to myself because we're exclusively breastfeeding for the first few weeks so if I'm away from LO it can't be more than an hr or two, but DF has taken me on "coffee dates" a few times, out to breakfast once this week, and one evening when LO was sleeping like a rock I took a hot shower and painted my nails for the first time ..well since I could touch my feet and didn't feel like a beluga whale lol. It was really nice.
mgail likes this.

December 30th, 2013, 10:30 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ryder isn't causing me sleepless nights, insomnia and anxiety is. I lucked out again and got another easy baby. He only wakes up at night long enough to eat and rarely ever cries.

Even though I'm tired I just don't want to lay down and sleep. Kind of like right now. It's almost midnight. He's sleeping and I just don't want to settle down. It's effecting my brain, I stress out more quickly and forgot words a lot. It's frustrating. My anxiety has been a struggle, but has tapered off some.

Other then a scare with a huge clogged milk duct under my arm pit that I was so sure would give me mastitis, bf'ing has been easy. I love feeding him and love the "excuse" that keeps us glued to each other.
December 30th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's the post partum life? Besides the sleepless nights how are you holding up? I feel pretty on top of things, and feeling better every day. And I'm actually not losing any sleep since we brought her home! I didn't intend to bedshare full time, but omg it is magical. I learned with my son how to wake up just long enough to switch boobs and latch the baby on then fall right back asleep, so the only real waking up I do is to change her diaper (maybe twice during the night).

What are you enjoying the most or struggling with the most? Definitely struggling with my son.. Teaching him how to "be nice" with the baby. And he's going through some sort of phase where he hits "playfully" ?? Like he's not doing it out of aggression, just runs up, hits me or the baby, then smiles or laughs when I get onto him... I think it might be a cry for attention more than anything

Have you taken anytime for yourself since little one has been born? Nah. I've taken a few long baths, but that's about it. I'm used to constantly being with a LO. I don't really feel like I need a break (yet).

December 30th, 2013, 11:04 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Physically I feel great. Emotionally I'm doing pretty good except for moments of feeling overwhelmed and that is mostly exhaustion talking. I'll get frustrated on occasion when I'm worn out and Laila gets fussy and can't be comforted no matter what. Other than that, doing well and so thankful for it.

I guess my favorite thing is holding Laila and cuddling her. I can't wait until her awake time involves more than feeding, changing, and calming the fussies.

I'm struggling the most with bf/pumping. I'm having to supplement with formula now that she's wanting 3-3.5 oz a feed and my supply seems nonexistent. I bought a nipple shield to help with her latch but it doesn't seem to help. She still latches and unlatches and then gets fussy and frustrated. She's my most difficult baby in this regard. She bf twice in the hospital awesomely and then decided she wanted nothing to do with my breast. At first I was feeling like a failure but ain't nobody got time for those feelings so I'm over it. I'm doing the best that I can and that's all I can do.

I haven't had a chance to do anything for me but that's ok. The one thing I would love is more napping opportunities. A couple more hours of sleep a day would be heavenly.

January 1st, 2014, 02:21 AM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
How's the post partum life? Besides the sleepless nights how are you holding up? I think I'm doing pretty well Not in any pain just some aches once in a while so that helps lol

What are you enjoying the most or struggling with the most? I'm loving my baby cuddles! I'm so in love with this little boy its crazy! <3
The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is breastfeeding.. I'm not producing enough and am having to supplement with formula.. Its hard not being able to EBF.. I had to take him back to the hospital the day I got home because he wasnt interested in eating and was sleeping all day. he had gone about 10 hours without wanting to eat after I tried several times. They just treated me like I didnt know how to wake him up to feed and they had a nurse show me everything I was already doing. They gave me formula to feed him.. and the diagnoses was "trouble breastfeeding."
I figured out I was producing only drops of colostrum for him. I let him nurse for literally 3 hours after I got home from the hospital (he got his energy back after the bottle from the hospital) and he was still crying and rooting around like crazy for food. I finally gave him a bottle the hospital gave me because I thought maybe he wasnt getting anything from me, and he immediately went to sleep after eating the formula.. pumping didnt produce anything. I cried so hard knowing I was basically starving my son for days He acted the same way in the hospital the night before but all the nurses said it was normal and was cluster feeding. Now I know he was just really hungry from not getting much from me. Right now I'm only getting half an ounce from each breast and so I give him that and formula afterward. I'm hoping by some miracle I can start making more milk but I doubt it :/

Have you taken anytime for yourself since little one has been born? nope just been all baby time
December 3rd 2014 !! Baby #2 due August 2015!!!

Last edited by Jodimarie; January 1st, 2014 at 02:25 AM.
January 1st, 2014, 04:07 AM
JulieC7's Avatar Veteran
How's the post partum life? Besides the sleepless nights how are you holding up?
Emeric sleeps pretty well, and I am so thankful DH is still off work. I am still having some issues with BF but no more blisters/scabs. My anxiety is way down. I REALLY regret saying we could have company so soon, it was really stressful and MIL brought a lot of negativity and wouldn't stop comparing me to DH's SIL who had a baby in Sept. But we are back to just us three! Hooray! Happy New Year to me!

I love snuggling and watching him learn. When you show him a picture or play him a song, his little eyes go so wide. He can hold his little head up so high already! One night when I was still asleep baby was crying after having just gone down after cluster feeding and DH was holding him in bed, and I yelled "STOP IT". I felt so guilty after that. But waking up at all hours is getting a bit easier.

Not really. One night DH took the baby until he got too hungry around 12:30 so I could sleep for 4 hours straight, that was nice. I've been trying to start cooking again, that feels nice. And on Christmas Eve I pumped so we shared a split of champagne.
January 1st, 2014, 06:03 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
How's the post partum life? Besides the sleepless nights how are you holding up? I am doing better than DH. Because during pregnancy sleep was horrible, I have already adapted to broken sleep. DH can not function without 8 uninterrupted hours. Other than that, I've been back to normal for awhile.
What are you enjoying the most or struggling with the most? I was enjoying BFing -- it was an easy way to feed Lucas -- but with the milk protein allergy and my extreme picky eating -- i struggled with the decision to stop BFing, and EP.
Have you taken anytime for yourself since little one has been born? Yes. I've gone to the stores a few times alone which is great to unwind. I also take some baths alone with a glass of wine. Its refreshing.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
January 1st, 2014, 07:39 AM
Samantha- Loving my baby♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodimarie View Post
What are you enjoying the most or struggling with the most? I'm loving my baby cuddles! I'm so in love with this little boy its crazy! <3
The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is breastfeeding.. I'm not producing enough and am having to supplement with formula.. Its hard not being able to EBF.. I had to take him back to the hospital the day I got home because he wasnt interested in eating and was sleeping all day. he had gone about 10 hours without wanting to eat after I tried several times. They just treated me like I didnt know how to wake him up to feed and they had a nurse show me everything I was already doing. They gave me formula to feed him.. and the diagnoses was "trouble breastfeeding."
I figured out I was producing only drops of colostrum for him. I let him nurse for literally 3 hours after I got home from the hospital (he got his energy back after the bottle from the hospital) and he was still crying and rooting around like crazy for food. I finally gave him a bottle the hospital gave me because I thought maybe he wasnt getting anything from me, and he immediately went to sleep after eating the formula.. pumping didnt produce anything. I cried so hard knowing I was basically starving my son for days He acted the same way in the hospital the night before but all the nurses said it was normal and was cluster feeding. Now I know he was just really hungry from not getting much from me. Right now I'm only getting half an ounce from each breast and so I give him that and formula afterward. I'm hoping by some miracle I can start making more milk but I doubt it :/
Don't worry, I went through the EXACT same thing. It gets better once your milk comes in! I still have to give him minimal amounts of formula, but for the most part he is getting my breast milk from me pumping (he has latching troubles still)
Jodimarie likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Doing pretty good, but it definitely is an adjustment adjusting to having 3 small children. The baby is easy, but trying to care for him and entertain a 4 and 2 yr old is much more challenging. Sleep is great. We co-bed and just nursing lying down so I really don't lose much sleep at all.

BF'ing is fantastic. Super easy and I love it. The coming challenge will be trying to get him to take a bottle. I will never bottle feed him, but I go back to work part-time in early March so it's a must.

No, I have not taken any time to myself. My husband has been crazy busy at work and I don't feel comfortable leaving Cody just yet.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
January 1st, 2014, 12:12 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
It's going pretty well. I've had a lot of help from my mom and MIL and I've only been on my own for a whole day with them once - that will change tomorrow. I'm working on not feeling helpless. For example, when I'm feeding one and the other starts fussing I kind of panic and get anxious that I can't comfort them. Splitting my attention is probably the most difficult thing. DH and I switch off feedings at night so I get to sleep for a decent stretch every night. I need to work on napping during the day.
Physically I feel great, no issues downstairs besides painful hemorroids. I am a little anxious about losing weight/putting more on. I haven't stepped on a scale yet (I actually can't find our scale) and the unknown factor is giving me anxiety. I want to start Weight Watchers again but I don't know if I can find a time to get to a meeting.

I enjoy the snuggling the most. Also watching them grow and navigate their world. They're both trying to learn how to work their hands to have control over their pacifiers and it's so funny to watch them.
I'm struggling with pumping. I took Fenugreek and I feel like the week I took it my milk decreased. It's slowly coming back, but I still don't get enough to feed both solely breast milk. We have to mix the breast milk with high cal formula for both. Formula is so expensive and if we use breast milk we use so much less. I feel guilty that I'm not producing enough, but I just have to keep pumping to try and increase my supply. I have been breast feeding Thomas once a day and he's doing well with the nipple shield. In some ways I wish I was able to EBF both of them, but in other ways I'm not. I want them to get my breast milk only, but there have been days where I want to give up on pumping.

Sort of. I went out Christmas shopping, which wasn't really for me and was a little stressful. I did have my nails done once which was nice. This morning I went to the mall and picked up a few things, but I don't enjoy my time away from them. I miss them and find myself rushing to get back to them. DH and I are supposed to go out for a fancy dinner date soon, so hopefully that will be relaxing and enjoyable for me.
January 1st, 2014, 04:21 PM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's the post partum life? Besides the sleepless nights how are you holding up? It's been two weeks. I'm (mostly) thankful that DD#1 taught me how to deal with interrupted sleep patterns. I feel good most of the time. It's hard to sit still and recover from the c-section. All this sitting and BFing is making me restless.

I am enjoying watching DD#1 learn how to be a big sister.
Struggling the most with establishing a new "normal" rhythm in the household with a baby and a 3-yr-old. Multi-tasking has taken on a whole new meaning.

Have you taken anytime for yourself since little one has been born? Very little time for me. I've started pumping to create a freezer supply, so hopefully I'll get some me time in the near future.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search