Colic:/

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2014, 06:52 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Laila had a follow up appointment yesterday and I mentioned her fussiness/potential colic. Her ped didn't want to classify it as colic just yet because her fussy times have only been occurring for a few days so far. I asked about a potential for issues with dairy or reflux and she told me she doubted Laila had issues as she's only spit up 4 times in 4 weeks. She said if it was lactose intolerance the spitting up would be more like projectile vomiting and her stools wouldn't be normal. She also told me that gas is pretty normal in newborns as their digestive systems are immature. Babies having gas isn't necessary indicative of a problem. Every one of my babies had gas the first few months.

Last edited by kara74; January 4th, 2014 at 06:57 AM.
January 4th, 2014, 05:00 PM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
We went to the doctor yesterday and he agreed that it sounded like colic but wanted me to watch out 1) if the fussiness begins to spread into other parts of the day or 2) she has mucus in her stools.

As soon as I got home her stool was dark green and seemed to be mucusy. Also her stools are very gassy and explosive, bless her heart She's also started being fussy more during the day too. I'm having a hard time accepting that it may be a dairy allergy because it is going to take quite a bit of label reading and research to cut it out completely. I've thought a lot about giving up nursing and going to formula because I'm getting so desperate.

I also read an article about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance at feedings that I think could be my problem too. My milk comes out so fast that she chokes on it and I read that if the baby gets too much foremilk they will have issues similar to a milk allergy. I'm going to try pumping a tiny bit before putting her on and see if she levels off. I'm also going to check with a lactation consultant and follow up again with my doctor first thing on Monday.

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

January 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Poor Lura. yeah it definitely sounds like she has some sort of issue with milk.

Laila has about half and half formula and breast milk (pumped). She was taking more breast milk than formula a couple weeks ago but my supply isn't great and she's taking more oz. now.

Laila's fussy time was early today so I'm wondering if this really will turn into colic or not. I'm hoping not but it's still too early to tell I guess.

January 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a similar issue with Michael. My LC thinks I have forceful letdown & oversupply. He tends to choke/cough and pull off the breast when my milk lets down. I was also reading about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I've been block feeding to ensure he's completely emptying one side at a time & cut out dairy just in case. Just trying to muscle through these first few tough months. :/

January 5th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
lurking from Oct 2013PR. My ds also has/had terrible colic, all day, all evening, so awful. My boss came to visit at 4 weeks pp and I longed so bad to go back to work. Here's what worked for me:
- time: sorry, but this really helped. Crying peaked at 6-8 weeks and has been tapering off since then.
- Going dairy free: others here are totally correct, you need to go 3+ weeks to see if it makes a difference. I fought going dairy free for so long, but it did help. Just be careful and read all labels for milk products, butter, and whey. I've noticed a huge difference in DS. It didn't fix everything, but definitely helped. Trust me, if I can do it, you can too. I love cheese and being vegetarian it made up a huge portion of my protein. Also, I love cheese so much I spent $300 on a cheese making course for my birthday!!
- bouncing on a big exercise ball and loudly shushing
- Reading The Happiest Baby on the Block.

Good luck, it's so hard! PM me if you want to chat, I'm just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now and am happy to offer support.
mgail likes this.
January 5th, 2014, 01:22 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always dealt with the hind milk problem due to overproduction. This time nursing one only side per feeding has helped, but in the past it was so bad that I nursed one breast only per six hour stretch. Keep playing with it~you'll figure it out!
bundle2baby and mgail like this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
January 9th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Betts's Avatar First Time Mommy
Lily's ped recommended that I look purplecrying.info

It was really interesting.
swade66 and mgail like this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

January 21st, 2014, 07:12 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
How is everyone doing?

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 21st, 2014, 08:11 AM
mgail's Avatar servantoftheKing
Lura Grace is still a little fussy at night but not as long as before. I'm attempting a dairy free diet so we'll see how long I can last. they say its best up until 6 months but I don't know if I can make it that long.
swade66 likes this.

Born Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 3:11pm
8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches long

January 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Laila has settled down some, thankfully. Right now we're battling congestion and mucus so she's been fussy but not all that bad considering.

January 21st, 2014, 08:31 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I am glad you are both seeing an improvement. I hope it continues to get better.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search