Homemade Deodorant - So Easy and Works Great!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By cooper1414

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Galley LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
¼ c coconut oil
¼ c corn starch OR arrowroot powder
¼ c baking soda
10 drops(or more if desired) essential oil

I poured them all in my Ninja(blender) and pureed till everything was evenly mixed. Put it in a ziplock container. Keep in a cool place because of the coconut oil. It works great!

The last deodorant I tried was a 24 hour sensitive skin type that wore off in 8 hours and had me scratching my pits all day. This stuff is still going strong over 12 hours later, and not one single itch. I just get a dab with my finger and rub it on. It's consistency is like that of a regular bar. Little bit grainy. We're going to put our next batch in empty deodorant stick containers and use it that way.

DH used some this evening, and we will be conducting a smell test after work. He loves the smell which is mostly coconut. The lavender oil I used isn't too strong. I want to add extra next time.
mizza411 likes this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
January 4th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Super Mommy
Where do you buy your essential oils? Are they expensive? I've seen several things lately about them and keep thinking I should get some to try out... LOL one was you put a couple of drops in the toilet before you go poo and it keeps it from smelling. I thought that may be an idea for our bathroom for DH. LOL
Spyctre likes this.
January 4th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
LOL That poo-pouree or something like that? I've seen the commercial. Hilarious. lol

I bought mine from a healthy store in town. You know those stores. They always smell like vitamin bottles? I'm ordering the next ingredients from Amazon. I paid $12 for 1 oz of it in town, and I can get it for almost half that price online. The coconut oil is cheaper there, too. Can't beat $1 for the cornstarch and baking soda.

Not sure about arrowroot powder. Didn't use it.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

January 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I'm going to order a set of essential oils when I get my textbook list then I'll try this I never smelled till having a baby and now the only thing that stops it is myDh's old spice.
January 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sweat horribly after DD1, (never been a problem before), then it seemed to subside by the time I had DS, but it seems like it's back a little after having DD2. I may have to try this!!! Thanks!!

January 9th, 2014, 10:21 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
So I just made this (no essential oils though ) and it definitely helped! My only issue is that it seems to cake up, but what can you expect from cornstarch? lol
Also I just used it with the coconut oil melted so we'll see when its hard
January 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Yeah, ours is hard almost like a stick of deodorant. It feels like a hard, grainy lotion. We want to put it in an empty deodorant stick case next time because we think it'll be easier to apply. Especially in the winter. My goodness, with as cold as its been, it's brick-like. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search