Peyton Elizabeth

Veggie Tales

The tales of our babies entrance into the world.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Veggie Tales LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 05:48 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Peyton Elizabeth was born via repeat c/s after 22 hours of intense epidural-failing labor on June 26th at 1:52 am (Connor was born via c/s at 1:58am! I guess I like having 2am babies lol) She weighed 8 lb 11.7 oz and was 20 3/4 inches long. She left the hospital weighing 8 lb 4 oz (Connor's birth weight) and weighed in today at 5 days old at 8lb 7oz.

I woke up Tuesday morning, June 25th at 3am with what felt like my water breaking. It was a small gush, which woke me, and I went to the bathroom and as I was sitting on the toilet there was another, bigger gush. It was slightly discolored, a little brownish, so I assumed it was my water breaking. I had zero contractions at that time so I was going to lay back down and go to sleep.

About a half hour later I started to feel menstrual cramps again but no timed contractions

About an hour later contractions had started but inconsistent, and finally around 5am the contractions were consistent about 6-7 minutes apart.

I decided to call my midwife and let her know what was going on at that point. She said when I couldn't talk through my contractions and they were consistently under 5 min apart, then call her back.

Well that didn't take long, about an hour later they were pretty strong and I was having to breathe and count through them, they were lasting about 30 seconds, and quickly changed to 45 seconds and were all consistently between 3-5 minutes apart. My midwife said to meet her at the birth center at 7am, as it would take us a good 25-30 min to get there as well - it was about 6am at this point.

So, by the time we met her at the birthing center, it was about 7:15a and my contractions were really painful and I was having a hard time keeping them under control. I also threw up 2 times on the way to the birthing center.

When she finally checked me....I was all of a fingertip dilated....and she said my water was intact, it may have been bloody show or urine?!? I was really bummed that I wasn't more than that because it sure felt like my body was doing a hell of a lot more work. So, she told me to walk the halls (yea right, I was NOT walking anywhere) and see if that helped. The problem was, I was so tense from the pain and I could barely keep the contractions under control. I was mostly on my knees, leaning over couches in the waiting area and moaning through the pain.

I threw up two more times at the birthing center. By this time, my Mom showed up, and I decided I needed some pain meds to take the edge off. We were heading to the hospital...which took FOREVER because we had to wait for my midwife to print off my records to take with me and for her to call the hospital and let them know I was on the way.

So we get to the hospital around 8am (I think?) and of course by this time I'm in so much pain I can't breathe and DH is freaking out because I'm in so much pain........they can't/won't give me any drugs in triage, I have to be fully admitted before they can do anything for me. Even though I'm screaming and begging and pleading to the nurses to please give me something, anything.

There was something about them being able to get me an epidural faster than the drugs, I don't remember the details because of the pain, I told them I would take whatever came fastest, and that was the epidural. Except, it wasn't fast at ALL. The anesthesiologist kept getting called to "emergency" patients and c-sections. It was 2pm that afternoon before I ever got the epidural. And I was throwing up every 5th contraction or so.

So I labored, HARD from 4am 'til 2pm. After the epi kicked in she finally checked me again. And I was at 6cm. About **** time! I was so ecstatic that I was laboring on my own, without induction (Connor was a failed induction) and that I was actually dilating on my own! Connor got stuck in the birth canal and I never dilated past a 3-4, I started swelling closed. They also gave me something for the "nausea" aka constant throwing up. And all I was allowed was ice chips.

The doctor said she'd be back in about 3-4 hours to see how I was progressing. Somewhere around 5pm she came and checked again....I was a whopping 7cm. My body just did NOT want to progress any faster than 1cm every 3-4 hours. At that point the doctor suggested pitocin to help me dilate faster. I declined and she agreed that as long as I was progressing on my own, we wouldn't need the pit.

3-4 hours later.....I don't know, 8pm ish? I was checked again....and still 7cm. So, pitocin it was. And they turned that ***** up! I started feeling the contrax through the epi so the anesthesiologist had to come back and attempt to fix things. Mostly it was my left side that was not getting the drugs, we tried the flipping to my left side thing and all that mess, and it just wasn't working.

By 1am or something like that, I was in excruciating pain on my lower left side.... again.... and throwing up...again....the anesthesiologist was a ***** by the way, and even though I told her from the start that my left side was just not getting as much pain relief as my right side, she said it wasn't something she could fix, she said it could be scar tissue or something blocking it. They would give me a dose of something that I only ever felt on my right side, it was just not doing anything on my left. It felt like I was being stabbed over and over in my lower back, it was horrible.

It was almost 24 hours since the start of labor, and by the last check I think she said I was at 8cm after about 6 hours.....for me to wait to dilate the last 2 cm was unthinkable for the amount of pain I was in, I knew my fight was over and I was ok with it. I just wanted baby out and to not be in pain anymore. I agreed to the c-section. Still in pain and just begging and pleading for the pain to go away I was rolled away to the OR.

FINALLY I was given enough drugs or something in the OR that I was no longer in pain, however, when they were doing the 'scratch' test, I told her I still felt sharp pain. Then, as I think they were about to cut, I felt sharp pain again and I said "I can feel it , I can feel it!!" and the **** stupid anesthesiologist goes "you can feel just pressure or sharp?" and I yelled "IT'S SHARP!!"

Well, whatever she did, I about passed out. I was super woozy, and remember asking if someone was getting my husband, then I remember my husband showing up and holding my hand and me telling him I was about to pass out, then I think I heard him say that he heard the baby cry....but I didn't?! Maybe he was on drugs because they had NOT delivered her yet. Then, finally, she was born and we both heard her cry, and DH went around the corner with her where they weighed her and such and they let him cut the cord also - he did not get to at Connor's c-section! All I know was I was so happy to not be in pain any longer!!

Things are going OK so far. The c/s recovery has been 1000 times better this time around, it's been a totally different recovery experience for the better. They released us after only 42 hours, we were able to go home Thursday evening - she was born Wed am. Nursing has been a bit different and a bit challenging from my experience with Connor, the champion no-issues nurser. She doesn't latch well, has a slight tongue tie, but we're working through it - I still may get with an LC about it.

But she loves to sleep. She sleeps in 3-4 hour blocks all night long and a lot during the day as well. It's crazy how much she sleeps, but her ped said today that she wouldn't be worried unless she's not gaining weight. She wakes up to eat, eats and eats and goes back to sleep! It's unreal how much this girl sleeps--but I'm not complaining!! Connor was never and still isn't a good sleeper so this ones making up for it for sure!!

Dealing with the big brother has been the major issue. He likes to sit next to her and talk sweet to her, but he has been acting out majorly with the rest of us and it's not been pretty. I'll definitely have a post about that soon!

It's amazing to me all the differences between my two - she loves to be swaddled, C hated it so we never did it with him. She needs to be burped after feedings or she gets fussy from gas pains and will occasionally spit up -- C never spit up, never needed burping, never had gas issues. She's a sleeper, he was and is not. She's having the nursing issues, he never had one. And I know as the developmental milestones come into play she will most likely have him beat on all of them because he had such delays with everything and needed therapies. That will be the most interesting!

Last edited by bribugg13; July 1st, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
July 2nd, 2013, 04:12 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story, scary about how long you were in pain. Ouch! Thanks for sharing, she is beautiful!

July 2nd, 2013, 05:46 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Congrats on your little girl.

July 25th, 2013, 07:39 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
so so sweet. look at all that hair!
congrats!!

*Amanda*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search