anyone with any addictions they have/had to quit

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Regular
I used to drink a lot of diet soda. But in the last few weeks it's been less and less appealing to me...kind of like a food aversion. So I'm not complaining. Guess it'd my body's way of helping me out and protecting the baby.

Good luck to those quitting things, though, especially smoking. I know it's really hard, so I'm proud of you all for making the choice to quit! You can do it!
marie1990 likes this.
June 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Was a pack a day smoker too. Kicked the habit cold turkey 3 weeks before we found out. Havent even considered going back and im hoping to keep it that way. I did have another indulgence, that's legal is only a few states... lol, but i've been steering clear. Good luck!
June 27th, 2013, 04:10 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never been a smoker but dh was when i got pregnant with dd. After getting tired of me tossing his brand new packs in the trash he finally just stopped cold turkey. He realized it was bad for me and baby as well as himself. He hasn't touched a cig in over 4 yrs. I'm so glad cause I HATE how they smell. My dad smokes till this day and he is 60. Wont give it up for anything. I have read it's one of the hardest addictions to kick. Good luck to you guys and you have support here

June 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Super Mommy
A smoker also of 2 pks a day. During pg my doc just wants me to cut down gradually and get to 10-15 per day. She thinks if I quite all togeter it would be to much shock for my body to cut it completly out. She has said this only since I have had so many losses. The less stress on my body in the first tri is best.

June 27th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I am SO thrilled to just see so many responses and encouragement!!! I truly believe that we can all help each other with our addictions.. no matter if its smoking, chocolate, wine, or sodas!!!
June 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
I'm addicted to Iced Cappuchinos from Tim Hortons. No seriously, I already cut back from 3 a day to 1-2 a day. I'm not supposed to have more than one medium a day to stay under caffeine limit while pregnant but sometimes I still have a medium and a small.

My Beautiful Children
Morgan - Jan 2006
Alastrin - Apr 2007

Liam - Mar 2011
Aria - Feb 2014
June 28th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerlb View Post
A smoker also of 2 pks a day. During pg my doc just wants me to cut down gradually and get to 10-15 per day. She thinks if I quite all togeter it would be to much shock for my body to cut it completly out. She has said this only since I have had so many losses. The less stress on my body in the first tri is best.
She's right. With my DD, they told me NOT to quit because the stress was more dangerous than the nicotine for me and the baby. Good luck honey! Try electronic cigarettes, see if it helps.
MummytoB likes this.
June 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I was never able to give up my almost daily routine of taking a HOT bath at night. I just love soaking in hot water before bed, especially with a book.
I had read that's not so good for the little bean but I just couldn't break myself of it.

Good luck with quitting. Hopefully, the smell or taste will become too awful to bare.
June 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Amazing Mommy
I'm right there with you! It took me until 13 weeks to quit with DS, and I felt so horrible by then because everything major is forming in the first trimester. I still feel horrible about it. I was doing great the rest of the time and even after the birth but then a few months later I started smoking again. DH and I were having some problems, he was never around and he never helped with DS at all. I was really emotional, exhausted and stressed out. I should've never started back even then, it sounds like an excuse to me now.
I was smoking 1 pack a day, I've cut it down to 5 a day now. I feel horrible about it again but hopefully I can stop before 13 weeks this time and never pick up another one.

I don't smoke in my home or vehicle though. I've never smoked around DS and I haven't let anyone in the family smoke around him either. I always wash my hands and change my clothes before touching him after I smoke. I know what it's like to have parents smoking right there in your face and being constantly surrounded by it.

Me (29)
DH (34)
DS1 (10)
DD (2)
DS2 (Due in May!!)

June 29th, 2013, 11:14 AM
mBABYe's Avatar ♥ Life with BOYS ♥
I was a smoker before I had my oldest son. When I found out I was pregnant (I was at work at the time) on the drive home I lit a cigarette. I probably smoked half of it when the GUILT took over. LOL!!! I threw it AND the rest of the pack out of the window. I never smoked again It was hard at first but if you just never buy them then no matter how badly you WANT one.. you'll never have one to smoke. It's my best advice. Good luck girls!

Wife since 2004. ♥ Mom since 2008.

♥ TTC #1: 4 yrs, 2 months ♥ TTC #2: 1 yr, 5 months ♥ #3: Surprise twins lost at 7 & 10 weeks.

July 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilflower View Post
She's right. With my DD, they told me NOT to quit because the stress was more dangerous than the nicotine for me and the baby. Good luck honey! Try electronic cigarettes, see if it helps.
I'm lurking from December DDC, but I can so relate to this. My pregnancy was a big surprise and at the time I was smoking a pack a day. I quit cold turkey when I found out, and for the first tri it wasn't too hard, especially when morning sickness was plaguing me, but last weekend I fell off the wagon.
The past four months, I've moved away, gotten engaged, had this surprise pregnancy, had my hrs cut and then had DF's job scare, had been told my pregnancy was not viable at first, found out that our roomate was addicted to heroin, had a bomb scare that shut down our neighborhood, and had someone try to break into our house while I was home alone.
When DF and I had words last weekend that was the icing on the cake and I broke down and had one. I felt SO guilty but my BP was so high my head was splitting, my heart was racing and my hands were shaking.
I've talked to a friend who is a RN and to my OB/GYN since and both have told me that is it better to quit? yes. But if I have to have one every now and then to keep calm then do it, because the stress I am experiencing is way worse on the baby than a cig once in a while.

July 10th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Regular
Hardest addiction for me I guess is limiting and excluding my favorite foods/drinks!! I LOVE coffee and I'm weaning myself off with one cup every other day, right now I'm at about 3 cups per week and I'm using 1/2 decaff and 1/2 regular coffee mix. I love lunch meats, turkey hot dogs and sea food especially my go to can of tuna for lunch or dinner so omitting that has been very hard.
I'm having to be a bit more creative with my lunches and am definitely not able to grab something quick such as a sandwich or tuna salad.
Of course going to all these summer bbq's I am definitely missing a nice cold beer or mixed drink but for now I'm DH's designated driver LOL!

P.S. I have a really good friend who was a smoker for YEARS!! After her 2nd baby she decided to give it up forever and has been smoke free for 3 years now. She is someone I never thought could give it up but has. Props to all of you!!!
July 12th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Amazing Mommy
I think it's safe to say I've quit the cigs. With the morning sickness being so horrible for me, I haven't been able to smoke. Or stand the smell of it. I'm hoping I stay quit when I start feeling better from the morning sickness.

Me (29)
DH (34)
DS1 (10)
DD (2)
DS2 (Due in May!!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search