Can I say again, how much I love hand-me-downs???

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2014, 07:04 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Feeling a bit silly about dreading 'coming out' at work so much, everyone is already being so helpful and genuinely excited for me!
My coworker brought me her Boppy breast feeding pillow she used with her last son, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "What to Expect the First Year"... these are the two books my cousin highly recommended I buy
SCORE!

What sort of items has everyone else scored so far? Or that you inherited in your past pregnancies that you are still using?
VallyD likes this.

January 6th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I still have my hotsling... but that's about it. We're getting a carseat from my best friend (she just had a baby a few mths ago). We don't really use much baby stuff, the boppy is an awesome score, but it just never fit well on me.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 6th, 2014, 07:52 AM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My youngest is 22 months, so I pretty much still have everything from him....infant carseat/stroller...all of his gear. I gave all of his NB-12 months stuff to my sister 9she has 6mth twin boys)....so I will either get all of that back or go shopping for pink clothes...but otherwise...I've got everything.
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
Lilah Mae Grace scheduled c/s 09.28.16 (Oct 19th)
January 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM
ZeeWP's Avatar On to the second!
We got a couple of book presents from people so far. No hand me downs yet, and this is first pregnancy. I live far enough away from loved ones that I doubt I will get much.

January 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome! I have pretty much everything we need. I exchange clothes with several friends so I haven't had to buy much - mainly just for the oldest two boys and our oldest girl and then everything gets passed down. If this baby is a girl she will need clothes, but I can usually get those at second hand stores for cheap and they look brand new. We will get baby a new carseat and some cloth diapers and that's about it!

January 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
I wish I could get some hand-me-downs. LOL All my friends' and family's kids are just about grown.

My baby boy!

January 6th, 2014, 10:47 AM
My BFF has a 19mo old son who was born in June so I'll be able to take ALLLLL those clothes lol. She has bags and bags full, some that were given to her with tags and still haven't been worn. Clothes are the least of my concern though - really it'll be 100-110 for the 1st few months so a onesie is more than sufficient in Texas heat!
I'm more worried about the big ticket items like furniture, car seats (how did I not know that you have to buy the bases separately?!). My breast pump will be covered by insurance, so I might register for a few bottles for that but I see a few of you have advised waiting to see what he will like before wasting money on tons of nipples/bottles that I might not end up using.
What else am I missing????

January 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM
WannaBeMommaMe's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by laleighpop View Post
I'm more worried about the big ticket items like furniture, car seats (how did I not know that you have to buy the bases separately?!). My breast pump will be covered by insurance, so I might register for a few bottles for that but I see a few of you have advised waiting to see what he will like before wasting money on tons of nipples/bottles that I might not end up using.
What else am I missing????
***, the base is sold separate?! I had no idea! Also, you may want to call your insurance company and see which breast pumps they will cover. Mine will only cover a manual.
laleighpop likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 6th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Chelsea - See if your doctor will write you an actual prescription for a nicer double-electric pump like a Medela. Usually insurance will accept that, but I would call and make sure.

January 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Yeah, my policy states electric or manual, 1-2/yr and anything from DME supplier or prescribed by physician. I am actually planning on asking her about it today.

Is Medela really the way to go??

January 6th, 2014, 03:19 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my medela! Plus accessories are super easy to find at box stores. Very convenient.

January 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I.hate.pumping. but I wish y'all the best of luck.

Seriously, I had plans to work after dd2 was born, dh and I worked our schedules out just so (we worked at same place just diff departments)..... I hated pumping that I just quit after 1 week (I went back to work just after a few days of having her) and just became a SAHM again and exclusively nursed

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 6th, 2014, 03:29 PM
WannaBeMommaMe's Avatar Veteran
Jackie, I would absolutely live to work from home again so that I could just breast feed.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 6th, 2014, 03:42 PM
August 2014 DDC Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeMommaMe View Post
***, the base is sold separate?! I had no idea! Also, you may want to call your insurance company and see which breast pumps they will cover. Mine will only cover a manual.
My advice? Buy the travel system. Matching stroller, carseat, AND base. You can buy additional bases if needed.

I've been hitting up BRU. We've been in the process of inventory and such. So we've got some amazing deals. Aside from my $28 score on the dresser/changing table, we got our travel system (floor model) for $140 ($300 orig), and or pack n play today for $120 (orig $180). A friend gave us their high chair and we plan to use my nephew's bouncer we got them for their daughter. We mainly need a swing and that's it as far as big stuff goes. Less than $300 spent. I'm happy about that.

January 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Super Mommy
I've got nothing. Ha! The friends I've told don't have kids and the one that does her kids are 9 and 6! I'm sure I'll get some clothes I hope from friends but seeing I have to get two of most things I'll take anything I can get. If ones a boy I'll get some tags from my sister but she's pregnant with her third so nothing else no girl stuff either.
January 6th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome for you Laura!

I got some passed on maternity shirts and a pair of pants. As it turns out, ladies who have her stuff wanted it back to pass on to other people so there wasn't much.

For gear, we were given a Chicco stroller which I like. SIL bought a new convertible car seat they were going to use rear facing but it doesn't fit well in their cars for the newborn. It should however fit in DH's minivan fine! But I did tell them they could have it back when baby girl got bigger and could sit more upright.

DH has a friend who says he has "stuff" so we'll see... It's okay, either way.

If we have a girl there will be tons of handed down clothes for sure.

Sept. 2013 3/10/15
January 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM
brookes630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always borrow a friend's bassinet and her swing. She sold her swing, so I'll have to figure something out about that one. Other than that, I have some friends that are offering their maternity clothes to me also.

January 6th, 2014, 06:44 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Yes, Medela is the way to go if you are going back to work and want to pump.
Personally I think travel systems are a,waste of time. Here is why. Whey have an infant they're in the bucket. Life is good. Most travel combo i strollers are flipping ginormous. Scour craigslist for a snap and go. This light weight beauty will change your life. They retail new for about sixty. Bucks but I scored mine for $25 on lc and sold it for $25. By then you will have a much idea of what works for you and won't have to deal with all of that weight and bulk of the travel system.
Spottts likes this.
January 7th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Sweet! I called the insurance company yesterday before my appointment to ask about the breast pumps. They gave me 3 DME suppliers to call. I was worried about some language in the policy about $125-150 limit, but right next to it saying that it was 100% covered and no cost-sharing. They explained that no matter what, I pay $0 for the pump, but the DME supplier is on contract not to bill the insurance company anymore than $125-150 regardless of the pump I choose. I haven't had the chance to look up the other two but the 1st one had Medela
Is this the right one?
https://www.edgepark.com/shopcatalog/item/ml57065

January 7th, 2014, 06:42 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
oh wow i had never seen that one before... the one I like is the freestyle
The Medela Freestyle Hands Free Breast Pump 2013 Model 67060 SALE

I bought it from them super cheap and actually sold it for exactly what i paid for it in one day off of CL.... wishing i had kept it because the prices went up ;-(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search