anyone else planning a NCB/HB/WB?

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
RayneElizabeth's Avatar Regular
This is biological child TWO for me. First born all natural in a hospital.

Going to the hospital is the only thing I regret about my delivery. They treated me badly due to my age. And clogged my son's tear ducts and I am pretty sure his Jaundice was preventable. Buttt anywho...

I am having a home water birth with a lay midwife this time.

Anyone else planning a home birth/water birth/natural birth?

January 20th, 2014, 01:37 PM
KHawk's Avatar Super Mommy
That's wonderful I have a good friend that's a month ahead of me and that's her plan as well.

I'll give birth in a hospital.. same as with 1st two babies. I had good experiences both times. They pretty much left me alone, but things were text book and I was managing ok. They bugged me more after they were born.. that I don't look forward to.

No pain meds with either delivery, but i'm thinking I might be over that this time. See what it's like on the other side lol

January 20th, 2014, 01:54 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll have a natural birth, assisted by my amazing midwife, in a hospital.
January 20th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I get to try for a vba2c, I'll go natural, but obviously in the hospital.
January 20th, 2014, 02:37 PM
klynne83's Avatar Kristy
I am planning for natural birth in hospital. This being my first I do not know what to expect.

Currently WTTC#2 until December 2017

01/29/14 06/11/15

January 20th, 2014, 02:38 PM
smika's Avatar Super Mommy
Hell to the no. One of my closest friends who had a very healthy pregnancy, no problems what so ever, the pregnancy a woman dreams of, died during a home birth. If she had been in a hospital she would have lived, no doubt about it. She was alive when they got her there, and they just didn't have enough time to work on the bleeding issue. So hospitals only- with a real doctor- for me.
foosdiva and razzledobe like this.

EDD: September 5, 2014
January 20th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
We cannot have home births here, as they are illegal.

I will attempt a natural hospital birth though. I almost accomplished that last time (got the epi at 10cm! Doh!) and I actually liked being at the hospital more than I thought I would. The staff there are amazing and do encourage natural practices!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

January 20th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Posgo001's Avatar Super Mommy
My first two kids were natural...but not by choice--it just worked out that way.

I am a Nurse Anesthetist and I put in Epidurals for laboring patients as part of my job...and this time, I will take one, thank you!

I certainly don't fault anyone for wanting to go natural...but, I've been there and done that, lol!
foosdiva likes this.
1/30/14 at 7 weeks 2 days

You know my deep desire for a child. A little one to love and to hold, to care for,
to cherish. Grant that my body may conceive and give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby in Your holy image.
Guide me in all my choices so that this conception, my pregnancy and my baby's birth are in line with Your will. Heavenly Father and Holy Mother, hear this prayer of my heart, mind and spirit.
Amen.

January 20th, 2014, 04:35 PM
This is my first so i'm not completely sure what to expect but will be attempting a natural birth in the hospital. I'm sure when our due dates start getting nearer I will be asking for pointers but for now i'm just focusing on getting out of the first trimester!
Posgo001 likes this.
January 20th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Veteran
I'll be going all natural in a hospital with a midwife. The midwife doesn't do epidurals, so it's not an option. I used an OB last time and was induced for being 41 weeks. I wound up with the epidural after they gave me phenegran for puking. I don't want that again. I would do a home birth, but insurance doesn't cover it and my hospital birth will be covered 100%.
January 20th, 2014, 05:08 PM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've seen a few water births and they look very unique and relaxing but I don't think it's for me.

January 20th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Brown Polka Dots's Avatar Family of 3.5 :)
Mad respect for those of you who go through it! Not for me though, I had an epidural with DD and I wouldn't choose any other way .

I thought I was going to regret the epi, but it made an already terrifying experience much less scary, IMO.

Honestly, though, lots of respect for those who do it.

January 20th, 2014, 10:07 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be an amazing experience. I, however, will be having my 4th c-section.

January 20th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
We cannot have home births here, as they are illegal.

I will attempt a natural hospital birth though. I almost accomplished that last time (got the epi at 10cm! Doh!) and I actually liked being at the hospital more than I thought I would. The staff there are amazing and do encourage natural practices!
It is sort of illegal here, too. Due to the fact that a CNM cannot attend a home birth without a physicians consent and due to liability physicians will never consent. CNM cannot attend births here. So you have to hire lay midwives.

Although, in the US this varies state to state. But in my state and all surrounding states have the same laws. The state I am from is much more open to it though.

Here it is legal to have your baby wherever. You cannot be punished or go to jail for where your child chooses to come in to the world. I mean, people accidently have babies at walmart here or on buses or on the side of the road ALL THE TIME.

It is only illegal for the midwife to attend.

And as far as hemorrhage, I am taking preventative measures, and my midwife is trained in homeopathic remedies to help with the bleeding. Plus, my husband is trained to do a direct transfusion (he trained for combat medic) and two people at my birth have my blood type. If worse comes to worse I will be hooked up to my Step Father while I am transported. My husband can legally carry needles and whatnot due to them being military issue.

If home birth wasn't "illegal" it could be completely safe, if not safer for the typical birth. Being that you are not exposed to so many bacteria as you are in the hospital. If the laws changed for CNM, they could carry things like oxygen and blood and pitocin to births. (pitocin is sometimes used for uterine hemorrhages. )
TrishB and carre46 like this.

January 21st, 2014, 07:30 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved my hospital epidural birth with DD. Home/natural births aren't for me. I wasn't progressing very quickly, then once the epidural went in, bam. It was like I was able to relax and I think within an hour or two of the epi going in I was ready to push. They didn't push pitocin on me which I was grateful for since I've heard so much about that.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
January 21st, 2014, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hoping for another quick hospital birth! I'm not opposed to epi or drugs, but my last 2 have been all natural due to them being so quick. If we assume the next one will be as quick then I will forgo the epi for the reason it would take longer for them to do the epi than for me to be in labor!
January 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran
I'll try to go natural this time with a tub birth at the hospital. I love my hospital! But the one I had my son at I made it to almost 9 CM before I finally got so annoyed with the epidural peddling that I got the epi... and then we stalled for an additional 5 hours!!! Not doing that again

I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart.)
January 21st, 2014, 02:46 PM
smika's Avatar Super Mommy
So your midwife will attend even though it's illegal? Have the people attending your birth been tested to make sure they are good donors? Same blood type doesn't mean a match is imminent.

EDD: September 5, 2014
January 21st, 2014, 05:07 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayneElizabeth View Post
It is sort of illegal here, too. Due to the fact that a CNM cannot attend a home birth without a physicians consent and due to liability physicians will never consent. CNM cannot attend births here. So you have to hire lay midwives.

Although, in the US this varies state to state. But in my state and all surrounding states have the same laws. The state I am from is much more open to it though.

Here it is legal to have your baby wherever. You cannot be punished or go to jail for where your child chooses to come in to the world. I mean, people accidently have babies at walmart here or on buses or on the side of the road ALL THE TIME.

It is only illegal for the midwife to attend.

And as far as hemorrhage, I am taking preventative measures, and my midwife is trained in homeopathic remedies to help with the bleeding. Plus, my husband is trained to do a direct transfusion (he trained for combat medic) and two people at my birth have my blood type. If worse comes to worse I will be hooked up to my Step Father while I am transported. My husband can legally carry needles and whatnot due to them being military issue.

If home birth wasn't "illegal" it could be completely safe, if not safer for the typical birth. Being that you are not exposed to so many bacteria as you are in the hospital. If the laws changed for CNM, they could carry things like oxygen and blood and pitocin to births. (pitocin is sometimes used for uterine hemorrhages. )
I'm very sorry to jump in but I really feel for safety sake I need to chime in about some of the comments in this post. (No, I am not anti- home birth) If you are properly and legally able to have an attended home birth that is fine.

There is no homepathic remedy that will save you in the event of a blood hemhrage. You will bleed out in mere minutes and die. Period. A safe cross type and match is WAY more than just knowing someone with your same blood type. (former med lab /phlebotomist talking here)

Why would you choose to be hooked up to your uncle like a soldier in the battle field when you have access to real life saving care when you can't even have a canister of oxygen or pitocin available if you need it? I know my comments won't discourage you from doing something youve set out to do and I really hope everything works out for you but hopefully it will offer up some education to others that might read this.
foosdiva, smika and VallyD like this.
January 21st, 2014, 06:54 PM
What it comes down to, is risks. My chances of having any severe acute complications during my birth is 1/1000. Whereas it is 2.3/1000 with a hospital birth.

Also, For parous(women who gave birth before) women, the rate of postpartum hemorrhage was 19.6 per 1,000 for a planned home versus 37.6 per 1,000 for a planned hospital birth.

By having a homebirth STATISCALLY I am less of risk of having severe complications ANYWAY.
Home Birth Safer for Low-Risk Women?

Plus, midwives who deliver at home followed different protocol shortly after birth which decreases my chances of hemorrhage anyway.

Here is another link
What if you have a post-partum haemorrhage after a home birth? Can you have a home birth if you have had a PPH before?

So pretty much treatment for a PPH, is to make the uterus contract. Which breastfeeding does.

And if I should need a transfer to hospital, okay.

But my chances are extremely low. at the HIGHEST its 20/1000.
Where as women choosing hospital birth is almost DOUBLE. 37/1000.

Although I am LOW risk, for ANY problems. I've carried one child to full term, had an all natural birth with no drugs of any sort. I also never required any drugs during pregnancy. I never had low fluid, never went into early labor, my placenta was healthy and in the right place. I delivered my son into my OWN hands at 39.5 weeks. I did not tear, I did not hemorrhage.

Some women are at greater risk for postpartum hemorrhage than others. Conditions that may increase the risk for postpartum hemorrhage include the following:

placental abruption - the early detachment of the placenta from the uterus.
placenta previa - the placenta covers or is near the cervical opening.
overdistended uterus - excessive enlargement of the uterus due to too much amniotic fluid or a large baby, especially with birthweight over 4,000 grams (8.8 pounds).
multiple pregnancy - more than one placenta and overdistention of the uterus.
pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) - high blood pressure of pregnancy.
having many previous births.
prolonged labor.
infection.
obesity.
medications to induce labor.
medications to stop contractions (for preterm labor).
use of forceps or vacuum-assisted delivery.
general anesthesia.

I have none of these risk factors so far, and if I do, then I might re-think my birth. But as long as I stay in a low risk category for ANY complications like I am, then home birth it is.
carre46 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search