Anyone else Rh-?

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2014, 08:29 PM
bugz
I am, my mom was as well. I called my midwife because I was concerned about it and all she said was because this is a second pregnancy, I need the shot at 'regular intervals'. Yay...
February 14th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Regular
I am also, but for my 2nd pregnancy I only remember having it once?

I also had to have it after my d&c, but idk about having it more than that.
February 14th, 2014, 08:56 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have only heard of 1 shot not multiples.

February 15th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
: oct hopeful: I'm rH neg and I have only had early rhogam shots if I had first trimester bleeding. Otherwise I've had shots at 28 weeks and delivery (if needed - DH is rH pos and DH1 is rH pos while DS2 is rH neg. My three older children are all rH neg as well).
February 15th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Veteran
Lurking from May DDC--

Be sure to test the father, it'll give you peace of mind anyway if he's -. He thought he was +, so I was about to get the shot, but turns out he's - too.
February 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM
bugz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeSung View Post
What happens if the father is the opposite?
If the father is + then you need the Rh- shot. It stops your body from fighting off the babies blood basically. If you don't have it, the baby could be anemic and die. If the father is -, you don't need the shot. I have no clue what my SO is, neither does he or his family. I'd like him to get tested but they won't unless he actually needs blood drawn *stupid*.
February 15th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran
I am RH - too! With my DS I had a shot... I will ask my OB on Monday what there steps are with hopeful baby number 2!
February 15th, 2014, 09:59 PM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz View Post
If the father is + then you need the Rh- shot. It stops your body from fighting off the babies blood basically. If you don't have it, the baby could be anemic and die. If the father is -, you don't need the shot. I have no clue what my SO is, neither does he or his family. I'd like him to get tested but they won't unless he actually needs blood drawn *stupid*.
If he gives blood, they'll send him a card with his blood type on it. That is how my husband and I both knew what we were.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 11/19

February 17th, 2014, 12:27 AM
bugz
They don't send out cards where I live! I can't donate blood anyway, I'm AB- so it'd be nice if I could donate, but I have hemophilia. They don't want my blood lol.

If he won't tell you what his blood type is, doesn't want to be tested or can't be tested (cost) then you can get the shot anyway. If you are both negative, it's not going to hurt you.

When I was talking to my midwife she said for the first pregnancy you get the shot at 28 weeks, unless you have bleeding (which I did). With subsequent pregnancies you need regular shots. But I have to call back and ask what those regular shots are. My mom had the rh- shot, but she only got it for her first pregnancy. I'll have to talk to the midwife more about it.
February 17th, 2014, 09:48 AM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not hereditary, your mom only had the shot because you and her have different blood types (and you were already born, so it was more for any siblings coming after you) She probably didn't have the shots the other times because she didn't need it. The only reason you would need it is if your baby is a the opposite if you. If you don't know what you SO is, then there is a possibility that your baby does not have your blood type. So, they can give you the first shot at 28weeks, and then test the baby when he/she is born to see if you need the second shot. Your doctor will walk you through all of this. If you're worried about the shot, it's not a big deal. By then, you'll have given so much blood, you'll be used to the needles.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 8, 2014~

Next Appointment 11/19

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search