Reflux

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Regular
Anyone else have a baby with moderate or severe reflux issues? Or had a baby in the past that did? If so, what have you done to deal with it?

Autumn has pretty bad reflux. I am breastfeeding (via pumping), so I tried cutting dairy out of my diet to see if that would help -- nope. We went to the pediatrician and he put her on Zantac and told us to put rice cereal in her milk to try to weigh it down. That has helped a tiny bit, but she still spits up way more than the typical baby. She also fusses and is obviously in some pain immediately after eating. I can see her spit up some milk and swallow it back down. Not fun. And I definitely can't move her around for a good 30-60 minutes after eating, which really cuts down on her play times.

Also -- the rice cereal has created havoc on her digestive system. She used to poop at every meal (at least a little -- breastfeeding baby), but now she has constipation issues. She will strain and grunt, trying to poop at various parts of the day, as well as in the middle of the night. When she finally does go, it's pretty gross (thick and a lot!). The pediatrician suggested bicycling her legs (which we do) and karo syrup (which we haven't done yet -- I hate introducing yet another thing that she's probably too small to really digest, but guess we have to).

Argh! So frustrating. We have her two-month appointment next week, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else can be done. It'd be really nice to have a happier, healthier baby.
March 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the constipation my pediatrician recommends some watered down apple juice or prune juice. I found that the apple prune juice was best and baby would drink it. My first child suffered from constipation and we had to give him juice to help.My last child suffered from reflux and he was constantly in pain. I did like you and tried adjusting my diet but nothing worked. I don't have alot of advise for you. he suffered with it for about 3 months and then just got better. How much rice cereal are you giving her? I wonder if you should cut back on that to help with the constipation. There are also other medicines that your dr can try so you might see if he can switch her meds and see if that works. I know it sucks to see your baby in pain but I would keep up the breastfeeding, it is so good for baby. How long has she been on the zantac? I wonder if she needs to be on it awhile to see results?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 26th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Regular
Thanks Melissa. I have thought about stopping with the breastmilk (she had latch issues, so I have to pump a lot to keep up my supply, which is a challenge) to see if a formula developed to help babies with reflux would help, but I would hate to give up the other benefits of breastmilk. So I will stick with it. She *is* gaining weight, which my doctor said is important to monitor with reflux babies. I just hate seeing her in pain so often. I will bring up the juice idea to the pediatrician. We are giving her 1 tsp of rice cereal for every 2 oz of milk, and she's been on Zantac for just over a week.How old was your baby when he got over the reflux? Did he get better gradually or did it just sort of happen around a certain age?
March 26th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Probiotics cures reflux in adults I'm sure it would help in babies too. Mine spits up, not projectile or anything but still. I'm going to get her some, what I'm taking isn't quite enough. She spits up a lot.......we use gripe water to help with the pain, and for some reason daddy is better at getting gas out than I am. She also hates to lie flat, I think it's cause of her tummy. My first spit up maybe three times so this several times a day, every time she eats thing is totally new for me

March 26th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is she tongue/lip tied?

March 27th, 2014, 01:31 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
he suffered with it for about 3 months and then it just seemed to get better. it seems like it was over night but I'm sure it was gradual. he just never slept so that time period in my life is a big blur.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 2nd, 2014, 04:18 AM
victoria0294's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of my girls grave reflux Ashley's isn't too bad, but Melody's is. I put Melody on the playmat the other day, 2 hrs after she ate... And authon 5 mins she'd spit up and got the hiccups.
They've both been on Zantac for about a month and a half. My step sister actually said Zantac is kind of like Tums, where it doesn't fix/prevent reflux. So I called my pediatrician yesterday and explained what's going on and starting today we are starting Prilosec. I'm hoping it helps!

And by the way, both my girls are formula fed and still have the reflux. Ashley is on Gentlease, and Melody is on Nutramigen- basically Melody doesn't have to do any work to break it down. So if I were you I'd stick with breastfeeding!!

expecting identical twin girls!!
April 15th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Regular
Just an update -- we gave up the rice cereal (seemed to cause more problems than it was worth) and stuck with breastmilk. Zantac seemed to help a little bit, but not much. So last week we switched to Prilosec, and we've seen a huge difference. She no longer cries after meals, and she naps WAY better during the day. She also smiles and laughs much more than she ever did.

She still spits up very frequently and has to sit up for 30 minutes after eating, but I'm so happy to see her more comfortable and relaxed.

The difference between Zantac and Prilosec is that Zantac helps neutralize acid (after it's formed), while Prilosec helps prevent it from being formed at all. My pediatrician said that sometimes Zantac works for certain babies, while Prilosec works for others.

Victoria, how are your girls doing? Hopefully better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search