Hypermesis Gravidarum

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By jellis82
  • 1 Post By jellis82
  • 2 Post By michelleH
  • 3 Post By BABY3.
  • 1 Post By BABY3.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2014, 06:41 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
Sooooooo.... I was having a really hard time this past week-2 weeks. I was a barfing mess. I couldn't keep anything down. For 4 days in a row I wasn't able to eat or drink a thing.. literally.. if I tried to eat a bite of Cheerios I would puke. If I tried to sneak in a sip of warm water I would heave uncontrollably for 10 minutes until my body could get that one little tiny drop out. I was throwing up in my sleep multiple times a night. I think I peed once on Sunday. Hadn't pooped in a week. By the time Monday rolled around I could barely move. Over the weekend the doc had called in a prescription for Zofran 4mg. Didn't work. Then he called in 8mg. Didn't work. Then he called in phenergran (sp?). That didn't work. I couldn't even get it down. I would swallow it with a sip of water and then just heave and heave. It was exhausting. Monday mid-morning he told me that I had to get to the ER. He said that my elecrtolites were going to be dangerously low (along with my low blood count from our miscarriage.. I had severe hemmoraging and required surgery & transfusions a few months back that I haven't yet fully recovered from. I am still anemic). They gave me 2 liters of fluids at the hospital and some IV meds to get the nausea away. My veins wouldn't even accept the fluids at first. They had to go get a pump which I thought was crazy. & loud. They said that I have hypermesis gravidarum.. that thing Princess Kate had while pregnant. Let me tell you... it is no fun. Thankfully since then I have't thrown up yet. He has me taking the smaller 4mg dose of Zofran every 6 hours. I am a little uneasy taking medications while pregnant but he assured me it would be okay. He said it is our bodies instinct to survive. If my body thinks it cannot support a pregnancy than it will resolve that situation on it's own to "save" me. Needless to say I am on board with his suggestions. Just wanted to let everyone know what was going on in case any of you felt like death the way I did. Has anyone else had to go through this before? *High-five for fun pregnancy symptoms!*

Is it November YET?!?!

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
April 9th, 2014, 06:56 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow. I can't even imagine. I'm happy you are feeling a little better! I've heard HG is no joke. But you were right to be cautious of Zofran. I've read some not so good studies on it not too long ago. You need to do what you think is best for you but I'm just validating your initial concern. I hope you can keep stuff down today. You clearly need a break!

April 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh you poor thing! Good luck today and I hope you feel better!

RIP Julianna Rose-Marie Tyreesa
June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart

My Ovulation Chart
April 9th, 2014, 07:34 AM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
Sounds like my last pregnancy. I'm sorry your going through that, I think I may be getting to that point now. It sucks hope you feel better.

April 9th, 2014, 07:42 AM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you have HG. I have a friend who is pregnant with twins and she had to go to the ER for that because she was severely dehydrated a couple of weeks ago. I'm of the opinion that sometimes the benefits of a medication far outweigh the risks. I believe it is far more dangerous to become dehydrated and not be able to take in food (because you are so sick) than any possible side effects/risks from the medication.
~*Kixs*~, MandyRS and BABY3. like this.
April 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis82 View Post
I'm so sorry you have HG. I have a friend who is pregnant with twins and she had to go to the ER for that because she was severely dehydrated a couple of weeks ago. I'm of the opinion that sometimes the benefits of a medication far outweigh the risks. I believe it is far more dangerous to become dehydrated and not be able to take in food (because you are so sick) than any possible side effects/risks from the medication.
Normally I would agree, but when there are alternatives that are category A for pregnancy they should be the first choice. The FDA warns against pregnant women from taking Zofran. With a quick search this is what I found. I'm sure there's a more official, peer reviewed article out there too.

FDA Warns Against Zofran Use in Pregnancy

April 9th, 2014, 10:24 AM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
Normally I would agree, but when there are alternatives that are category A for pregnancy they should be the first choice. The FDA warns against pregnant women from taking Zofran. With a quick search this is what I found. I'm sure there's a more official, peer reviewed article out there too.

FDA Warns Against Zofran Use in Pregnancy
I'm sure her Dr. is well aware of the risks....
BABY3. likes this.
April 9th, 2014, 10:34 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you are so sick. I do not have HG but I am always very sick with each pregnancy. I typically loose 15lbs or so b/c of morning sickness. That is bad enough for me. Couldn't imagine being worse off.

Normally I the one who warns people about Zofran. I lived off of it with my children. My older 2 are a-okay but my youngest was born with a cleft lip. But you truly have to weigh the benefits and risks of any medication. And if Zofran is the medicine that helps you and keeps you well you have to consider that too. My OB offered it to me with this baby and I declined. But if I had NOT already had a child born with a cleft I might not have even thought twice about it. Bottom line is you have to do what is right for you and baby.

I hope you feel better and the meds give you some relief.

April 9th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I'm genuinely not trying to start a debate, just presenting some information that may not of been made available. We are all adults here and can choose to do what we wish with the information available. Again, so terribly sorry you feel like crap. I hope this passes quickly.

April 9th, 2014, 12:06 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
I'm genuinely not trying to start a debate, just presenting some information that may not of been made available. We are all adults here and can choose to do what we wish with the information available. Again, so terribly sorry you feel like crap. I hope this passes quickly.
It is good to be informed about what you are putting into your body. When the Zofran study came out last year it felt like someone sucker punched me

April 9th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis82 View Post
I'm sure her Dr. is well aware of the risks....

You'd probably be amazed at how behind some doctors are in relation to current medical information. If it's a newer study, the doctor may not know about it.

And if the doctor does know about the risks and didn't inform her of them before prescribing the medication, that's even worse in my book.
MandyRS and BlueEyes09 like this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography

Last edited by michelleH; April 9th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
April 9th, 2014, 01:49 PM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
Thanks for all the responces. I spent the enitre morning reading everything I could online about it. The link you provided was not from the FDA so I went there first for answers. It didn't quite say what the article claimed. It stated that it was a class B pregnancy drug. It also said that it caused no abnormailites in the animals it was tested on, however obviously results could be different in humans. I did find a TON of articles on various forums and miscellaneous doctors sites saying it could cause cleft pallet but again, those were only people reciting other sources. When you go to the original source there is no such report. All of the information from the FDA's website was from 2001. NOW.. the good news.. is there was a new study preformed in 2013 (just one year ago) that was published in the New England Journal of Medicine claims the exact opposite. It says that in 8000 case studies it was found that there was NO connection between Zofran and cleft pallet. ..so.. I really appreciate you ladies for pointing me in that direction because I do feel a bit more at ease after reading it all from the original sources. I'm not saying it's good. I'm not saying it's bad. There's no debate here. Obviously I wish I didn't have to take anything at all. I'm just saying yesterday was the first time I was able to eat in nearly a week and I think that my baby will certainly benifit from a healthy mom.

Don't worry girls. I don't plan on taking it forever. & I actually only took one dose this morning when I first woke up. ..so.. so far, so good. I'm 9 weeks through the 1st trimester so hurry up 2nd trimester! We're almost there! LOL

For anyone intrested in the articles concerning the 2013 study you can read about it here:

Study finds pregnancy nausea drug won't harm fetus

Ondansetron Safe for Fetus, Study Affirms

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
April 10th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Super Mommy
Here is some different data:http://www.obgynnews.com/index.php?i...e=98&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=221089&cHash=da03e20e36

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 10th, 2014, 01:29 PM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds miserable. I hope you can continue to get the relief you need, you have got to be exhausted! Best wishes it stays away!

Brooks Kinlee Barnes
6 lbs 13 oz 18.25"
Two in Heaven
2/7/2013 (6w4d)
5/22/2015 (4w3d)

Expecting a Baby BOY early January 2017!
April 10th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I had HG with my first pregnancy, it was miserable. It unfortunately never got better for me. 9 months of pure hell.. Every single dr apt I went to ended in me at the ER. I pray it gets better for you!!
April 10th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
ick I can;t even imagine! And I do feel your Dr it right- Your body will do what it has to do to survive. If other medications are not working you have to do something. I am so sorry though that you have to not only go through this, but also worry about medications in general
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 11th, 2014, 05:56 AM
My dd is due May 31st and has suffered the entire pregnancy with HG....hospital admissions AND outpatient hyrdrations for MONTHS....she has taken zofran the entire time and of course we are worried BUT in her case....there would be no baby if she hadn't....ALL meds are scarey and every person has to cross that bridge of decision......I hope yours lets up but plz don't give up if it doesn't...My dd has lost 45lbs this pregnancy and she was on the thin side at the beginning...the baby is growing so we are thankful for that....I truly feel your pain....
April 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
Thanks so much girls! I appreciate all the support. It makes me feel better that other people are going through it too. ..sorry! LOL.. I know that sounds bad. It'll all be worth it in the end. *hugs to my fellow toilet huggers* Today is a good day so far. I've only thrown up twice and it's almost 1pm! That's big
Lucy S. likes this.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
April 11th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran
I'm sorry you've been so sick That is hard to imagine feeling that terrible! I'm glad things are a little better for you at them moment!
Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 16 year old Sanura, 13 year old Adrian, 10 year old Nevaeh, 8 year old Lincoln, 4 year old Charlotte,2 year old Harper, and a new addition expected around November 7th, 2017

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search