Making your own baby food?

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2014, 07:38 AM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you who have kids already- or those who are planning on going this route.....

I'm really interested in making & freezing our own baby food for when that time comes. My main question is - how long do you think food would stay good for frozen? If I bought a nice storage system like the vacuum seal bags ?

My sister made all of her own food (fruits & veggies) for her son growing up because he had such horrible reactions to anything processed/canned. She just used the ice cube tray method after it was pureed.

We want to do a big garden this summer and I plan on taking advantage of the local farmers markets but will it last until next summer when baby starts eating solids? Or is it just worth it for me to indulge in these foods this summer and use our harvest next summer with a bigger garden?

Thanks in advance! Also any tips/tricks are welcome

Brooks Kinlee Barnes
6 lbs 13 oz 18.25"
Two in Heaven
2/7/2013 (6w4d)
5/22/2015 (4w3d)

Expecting a Baby BOY early January 2017!
April 22nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We make our own baby food Started with #1 b/c we were so broke at the time but it turned out to be an awesome experience!

Typically purees will keep for up to 3m frozen in a baggy in a freezer. If you are planning on gardening you can just make a batch or two a month of whatever is in season.

This is the website that I really like. Lots of good tips and recipes.
Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes | Make Fresh Baby Food, Healthy Homemade Baby Food, it's easy with new baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!
KellJoO and aubreyk828 like this.

April 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM
Super Mommy
If you use a "seal a meal" or other vacuum sealing system they purees should last a while. Freeze them into ice cubes, then vacuum seal after. If you get all the air out you'll avoid freezer burn. Long term storage is best done in the back of your freezer where it is coldest, or a chest freezer. You don't want it in the front.

Have you looked into Baby Led Weaning at all? It skips purees entirely.
KellJoO likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 22nd, 2014, 09:23 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I used to make my own too. It is so much cheaper. So easy too. We also start solids when baby is more ready. Sitting unassisted and self feeding. With my last we skipped 'baby food' all together. I just did the baby led weaning. ('Weaning' in the uk is the same as introducing solids - nothing to do with bf'ing.)

Baby Led Weaning - The Mush Stops Here!
~*Kixs*~, KellJoO and michelleH like this.

April 22nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've made my own baby food in the past. With Baby George's food allergies though we ended up buying jar baby food. It was too expensive to make a bunch of baby food to try and figure out what he may or may not be allergic too. We used beachnut cause it was gluten free. We found very few foods he could tolerate, but he did really well with the chicken and sweet potato. Anyway, the jar worked best for use for him cause it wouldn't spoil if we took it out to a restaurant (and we always had to plan ahead that way).

With my other kids, I would just steam fresh fruit/veggies and puree them, add water if needed to thin it, and use an ice cube tray and freezer bags. Be warned, the food will stain your trays, so you might want to buy trays just for the food.
KellJoO likes this.
April 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
Super Mommy
Also, if you don't want to have things frozen, you can pressure can small jars of vegetables. Then you don't have to worry about thawing them. However, you can't can purees, so you leave the food chunky and then if you want it as a puree you mash it when you open the jar.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 22nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Interesting!

Thanks ladies.

I will have to look into the Baby Led Weaning, never heard of it!

I have so much to learn... LOL

Brooks Kinlee Barnes
6 lbs 13 oz 18.25"
Two in Heaven
2/7/2013 (6w4d)
5/22/2015 (4w3d)

April 22nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did the same as your sister and used ice cube trays. I wouldn't of used those a year later. We kept things up to a week or two. Like you said our kids won't be six months until May when farmers markets will be in full swing again. I probably wouldn't risk spending all that time and energy on prepping so soon.

I've actually been considered BLW this time around as well. It seems like BLW babies do better with greater varieties of foods.

April 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, we also never start solids until after 6 mo. DS1 was closer to 9 mo and DS2 was about the same. He also had to go to food therapy to learn how to eat because of all the problems he had with eating and because he had to learn to eat with an NG down the back of his throat. But DS1 never had problems learning to eat being that old when starting. With DS1, we would offer solids every few weeks until the tongue thrust went away.
April 22nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellJoO View Post
I will have to look into the Baby Led Weaning, never heard of it!
I learned about it in Beautiful Babies by Kristin Micheals
Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breast-feeding, and Baby's First Foods: Kristen Michaelis, Joel Salatin: 9781936608652: Amazon.com: Books

Here's a whole website on it:

Be aware that BLW is a somewhat controversial topic. There are doctors out there who are truly appalled at the notion that "first foods" should be anything other than rice cereal. But remember, your baby's digestive system is actually designed for fat and protein, not carbs.

And the 4-6 month rule is not a rule at all, many babies do just fine with breast feeding exclusively until a year or longer. Every bit of food you give them means they take in less milk, it's not in addition to your milk, food replaces your milk.

It all depends on what works best for you and your family.
BlueEyes09 and KellJoO like this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

April 22nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
I learned about it in Beautiful Babies by Kristin Micheals
Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breast-feeding, and Baby's First Foods: Kristen Michaelis, Joel Salatin: 9781936608652: Amazon.com: Books

Here's a whole website on it:

Be aware that BLW is a somewhat controversial topic. There are doctors out there who are truly appalled at the notion that "first foods" should be anything other than rice cereal. But remember, your baby's digestive system is actually designed for fat and protein, not carbs.

And the 4-6 month rule is not a rule at all, many babies do just fine with breast feeding exclusively until a year or longer. Every bit of food you give them means they take in less milk, it's not in addition to your milk, food replaces your milk.

It all depends on what works best for you and your family.
Isn't this the truth with every subject? LOL

These types of things REALLY intrigue me. Reading and learning up on what the body is meant to do, not what is "recommended".

Since I have no kids yet, I'll use my dogs as example:

Beneful says my dogs should be eating food packed with corn, rice, & veggies.

Science tells me my dogs are carnivores. They eat meat. RAW meat.
michelleH likes this.

Brooks Kinlee Barnes
6 lbs 13 oz 18.25"
Two in Heaven
2/7/2013 (6w4d)
5/22/2015 (4w3d)

April 22nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did with DS1 but with DS2 I just had no energy/time to do it. However I do a lot a baby led weaning and dont do too many pureed foods. DS2 started "eating" (aka sucking, nibbling and spitting back out) table food pretty early on and loved it

April 22nd, 2014, 09:56 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
These types of things REALLY intrigue me. Reading and learning up on what the body is meant to do, not what is "recommended".
I'm with you on that!!! Looking into the "standard recommendations" is rather startling. Like doctors telling moms to add rice cereal to milk to get the baby to sleep through the night. The reason they sleep is because their body has to put so much energy into digesting the food (because it is not what it is ready for) that they don't have the energy to stay awake. And that's supposed to be "good for them?"

Quote:
*gag* One of my dogs was a starvation case, so I have had to learn a lot about pet food. Most pet foods are crap, doubly so for standard commercial pet foods. It's like eating a Happy Meal for every meal - can you live on it? Sure. Is it actually healthy? Absolutely not.

And it's worse for cats, because they are obligate carnivores, not preferential omnivores (I think that's the term) like dogs.

Quote:
Ours too! Three raw fed dogs, two partially raw fed cats!
KellJoO and QuinnBaby like this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Last edited by michelleH; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
April 22nd, 2014, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I honestly liked the purees as introductory foods. Its nice to have them to see if there is a reaction or to see how baby handles food. I was very surprised that carrots made DS2 puke every.single.time. Not a little spit up, full on vomit. For us we also learned what foods caused him gas or diarrhea, and the bad rashes he got from the strawberries and the kiwi we knew weren't from the applesauce it was mixed with.

Baby George is special and most kids wont react like that, but we do have epi pens for him now if he accidentally gets some strawberry. (DH's parents don't listen to me well and were really bad with his food restrictions!)

Oh, and you can use a grinder or food processor to make different textures of food too. It doesn't have to be pureed. But it is a good idea to not make a ton that way you can see if there is an issue and if there is, you wont waste a lot, but if there isn't, they you can start mixing with different textures of other foods and mix flavors like the banana and pears or strawberries. Sweet potato and peas... etc.
KellJoO likes this.
April 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
Quote:

I'm honestly appalled that some doctors still suggest rice cereal. There is so much information that goes against this being a wise and safe method of feeding.
michelleH likes this.

April 22nd, 2014, 10:55 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
I'm honestly appalled that some doctors still suggest rice cereal. There is so much information that goes against this being a wise and safe method of feeding.
Suggest???

Four of my friends had babies in the last year. Everyone of them was specifically told by the doctor to start the baby on rice cereal as their first food. I'm very careful to just smile and nod and say "oh, ok. I didn't know that."

One angel baby - 1/22/14

April 22nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
Quote:
I'm with you on that!!! Looking into the "standard recommendations" is rather startling. Like doctors telling moms to add rice cereal to milk to get the baby to sleep through the night. The reason they sleep is because their body has to put so much energy into digesting the food (because it is not what it is ready for) that they don't have the energy to stay awake. And that's supposed to be "good for them?"

*gag* One of my dogs was a starvation case, so I have had to learn a lot about pet food. Most pet foods are crap, doubly so for standard commercial pet foods. It's like eating a Happy Meal for every meal - can you live on it? Sure. Is it actually healthy? Absolutely not.

And it's worse for cats, because they are obligate carnivores, not preferential omnivores (I think that's the term) like dogs.

Ours too! Three raw fed dogs, two partially raw fed cats!
Very cool to know there is another raw feeder here!

3 raw fed dogs in our house, two of them weaned as puppies onto raw.

Brooks Kinlee Barnes
6 lbs 13 oz 18.25"
Two in Heaven
2/7/2013 (6w4d)
5/22/2015 (4w3d)

April 22nd, 2014, 11:31 AM
QuinnBaby's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Isn't this the truth with every subject? LOL

I am always interested in these things as well. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Animal Science and I find it very sad that almost all vets, doctors, farmers etc go by the 'textbook' answer for everything even if it goes against what is biologically accurate and natural.

Back to the original post...I plan to use some of our farm's produce next year to make baby food because 1) it is cheaper and 2) self-sustainability is very important in my household. We make our own laundry products, cleaning supplies and food and I will hopefully be making baby's cloth diapers. Love doing things for myself

April 22nd, 2014, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Suggest???

Four of my friends had babies in the last year. Everyone of them was specifically told by the doctor to start the baby on rice cereal as their first food. I'm very careful to just smile and nod and say "oh, ok. I didn't know that."
LOL. Perhaps I'm the know it all snotty friend but I'll tell my friends that complex carbs are very difficult on a developing belly and I give them this link.

Why Delay Solids? : KellyMom

April 22nd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
LOL. Perhaps I'm the know it all snotty friend but I'll tell my friends that complex carbs are very difficult on a developing belly and I give them this link.

Why Delay Solids? : KellyMom
Normally, I am as well!! However, as I am not yet a parent, I generally get the patronizing "you'll see it's better when you have a baby" look if I give opinions on what others are doing.

When I told one friend that we were planning to cloth diaper she responded "we wanted to do that too, but the entire house smelled like ammonia after two days so we went back to disposables." I was like... um... if your house stinks then you're doing something wrong, don't blame the diapers! It wasn't worth it to get into it with her though, I know a number of people who cloth diaper and none of them have had that happen.

Funny thing is, one of the people has gluten intolerance and her husband has Chrone's Disease, so you'd think they would have delayed all grains for as long as possible. But no, at four months she was on rice cereal, rice puffs, and rice everything else...

Here's another good reference:
Why Ditch The Infant Cereals? | Food Renegade

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Last edited by michelleH; April 22nd, 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search