We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
April 27 - 3pm - I was supposed to be induced, but I chickened out. I had been having mild contractions since morning & wanted to see if I could go on my own. Well, those contractions stopped when I lost my plug around 4:30pm. At 9pm, my Dr called me and implored me to take 2 tbsp castor oil mixed with OJ to get things started. The last thing I ate was a bowl of cereal at 10pm. I did the castor oil at 11pm.
April 28 - 2am to 6am - I had the runs and mild contractions about 6 min apart. Dr had me scheduled for a NST for 7am at L&D triage anyway, so I went in. NST showed that I was at 2.5cm. Normally, they would send a woman with those stats back home for more laboring on her own, but they weren't too busy that morning, so they admitted me instead.
7am - 1pm -- I got the chance to labor naturally. Unfortunately, I didn't progress much. I got to 3.5cm & finally agreed to an epi so I could send my team (husband & doula) to lunch so I could nap. Epi-nap was awesome!
4pm - I was only at 4cm. Dr decided to started pitocin. I was put on a fetal monitor.
8pm - at 7cm, but had to change positions a few times during those 4 hours because Finn's heart rate was wonky.
10pm - at 9.5cm…but my epi ran out. An order was put in for another, but there was only one anesthesiologist on duty and he was attending in OR at the time. SO…lucky me: I wound up in full-on transition labor with no meds. I threw up 3 times.
11:30pm - ready to push, made 4 attempts. Very little progress. Dr ordered a sonogram, but Finn was too low in my pelvis for anyone to see how he was facing…and it looked like a limb was caught up in there, too…
April 29, 12:30pm - after a few more push tries, Dr said she could try to manually adjust Finn, but - I was also maybe looking at 4 - 6 more hours of labor because my contractions had slowed down to only 1 every 4-5 minutes and he was definitely stuck. I was going to have to take another pitocin boost and the order for the second epi still hadn't come thru! I opted for a c-section. I was starving and exhausted.
1:52am - Finn was out, with serrrrrrrious conehead. He was trying to come through with his head and arm at the same time. He never would've made it naturally.
2am - 5am - in recovery, which was rough! I had horrible, horrible shakes and my mouth/throat went terribly dry to the point where I couldn't speak. Obviously, all that affected my blood pressure…so I needed a little extra TLC. I "met" my boy around 5:30am, once we had settled into our private room. Luckily, my husband got to spend all that critical "first skin" and testing time with Finn. I was so glad about that.
So - the thing I feared most (c-section) was mine to deal with. I'd never been a patient at a hospital before. Spending 4 days holed up in my room with staples in my abdomen was NOT what I had in mind. : /
BUT….here he is, on the morning of his birthday!
And here he is today, right before we left the hospital:
We think that right arm is the one that was getting caught. It's like that in most of his ultrasounds and there it is again…on the "outside"!
He had a hard time getting to the party, but he's an absolute delight now that he's here.
Thank you kindly, friends. I'm doing okay. I live in a neighborhood that has a really good breastfeeding support network and, eventually, I will be able to say that I am doing great. Keeping some hope and faith!