Log In Sign Up

The natural water birth of Arden Jane *eta pics*

Forum: 2014 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By love.our.logan579
  • 1 Post By love.our.logan579

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 6,354
Around 5am on the morning of May 3rd I woke up with an intense 1+ minute contraction. Since I was already 6 days past my EDD I was so excited at the thought that we could finally meet our sweet girl, I couldn't go back to sleep for the hope of more contractions. I had another about 25 minutes later, then another about 15 minutes after that. I fell asleep after the 3rd contraction & woke up hours later with nothing. I was so disappointed, lol.

I went on about my business for the rest of the day, once every so often (up to an hour+) I would get a small contraction. I tried walking, pumping, bouncing on the ball etc. to pick them up & after a while I just gave up. I went on about my normal business, cleaned up the house, played with L & E, even ran a few errands. Around 7pm I had another strong contraction that lasted roughly a minute. Then another about 10 minutes later, they kept coming consistently at 10 minutes apart for about an hour. I called my midwife just to let her know that I was having strong 1 minute contractions roughly every 10 minutes & to give her a heads up that this felt like the real deal. Within the next hour they progressed to every 5 minutes, I had several bowel movements & they would speed up to about every 3 minutes, then space back out to about 4 minutes apart. I called my midwife again, she told me to take a warm bath & see if they picked up or slowed down. Well, they absolutely picked up!

I got out of the bath & they were basically every 2 minutes, lasting a minute. It was to the point that I wasn't sure if we were going to make it to the birth center or not. My mom, FIL & SIL were at our home. My mom & FIL planned to help out with the kids while we were gone & my SIL was going to come with us & photograph the birth for me.

We got in the car basically as quick as possible to make the 20 minute drive to the birth center. In the car I would have contractions as long as 4 minutes with only 45 seconds to a minute in between them. It was 10:30pm when we got to the birth center. They lead us into the birth room & immediately started filling up the birthing tub. They checked me & I was at 7cm. I labored on my hands & knees on the floor for about 20-30 minutes as the tub filled up. I seriously thought that I was going to just have her right there in the floor, but amazingly my body somehow held off.

I got into the tub & quickly realized that I needed DH to stay outside of the tub & support me from there. We originally planned for him to be in the tub with me & for him to catch Arden, but I don't think I would have been able to brace myself on him as well had he been inside the tub.

It was about 11:15pm, I had been in the tub for about 15 minutes & I felt like I needed to push. I began pushing slightly with each surge of a contraction, I could feel her start decending into my pelvic bone. I took a small break in the pushing just because I thought I was going to #2 in the water, lol, then after another few hard contractions realized I really didn't care if that happened at this point & that my body was pushing for me. I needed to just go with it.

I pushed hard with each contraction for a little less than 5 minutes & she was born. I caught her & brought her up to my chest myself, it was amazing! She started crying immediately & needed no suction for her nose or mouth. Arden Jane arrived at 11:28pm, just an hour after us getting to the birth center & only 30 minutes after me getting into the tub. I held her in the tub until the cord stopped pulsating, DH cut the cord & I handed Arden to him outside of the tub. I stood up & delivered the placenta, got out of the tub & laid on the bed in the room where I got Arden back & we immediately started skin to skin. I nursed her & held her as my midwife checked me, no tearing! After tearing with both L & E I was so happy to have not tore this time. They left us be for about 30-45 minutes, we just cuddled & she nursed.

They came in, did a check over her & then helped me into the shower to wash off from being in the tub. My SIL ran & got DH & I food, as she was gone I got out of the shower, got dressed & just snuggled our newest little sweetie. SIL got back, we ate & then we took Arden's measurements. Shortly after that we left & came home.

Arden Jane was born on Saturday, May 3rd weighing 8lbs 4.5oz & was 20.5" long. The water birth experience was amazing & went as perfect as I could have ever imagined it to! If you ignore the random contractions I had earlier my labor was really from 7pm to delivery at 11:28pm (4.5 hours total) we only stayed at the birth center until 3:30am & came home to sleep in our own bed, it was wonderful!

Candace mommy to Logan, Eden & sweet Arden Jane

Last edited by love.our.logan579; May 7th, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,564
Lovely birthstory
Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 8,110
Aw, so amazing! I wonder if delivering in the water helps not tearing? The in-hospital birth center that I delivered in wouldn't let me actually push in the water, so I had to deliver on the bed just minutes after leaving the jacuzzi tub, and I tore twice, just like with both my boys. I was really hoping not to tear the third time around!

I look forward to seeing the pictures! It sounds like a beautiful birth - congratulations! I might have the courage to post my delivery footage.

Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Moi's Avatar
Moi Moi is offline
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 709
Awesome birth story! Congrats!

Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 6,354
*ETA* pics!
Candace mommy to Logan, Eden & sweet Arden Jane

Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,249
aw how awesome! Such a cutie too.

Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 6,354
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
Aw, so amazing! I wonder if delivering in the water helps not tearing?
I tore awful with both of my other LO's so I assume the water helped a lot with that! I feel like most of the pain with recovery down there was the tear.
krissy1989 likes this.
Candace mommy to Logan, Eden & sweet Arden Jane

Reply With Quote
May 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 16,567
Love your story! Congrats!!!!
DS1: C 8/12/2012
DS2: L 3/30/2014
Surprise baby! due 3/27/2017

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0