Saying goodbye to a good friend...

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sylvera
  • 1 Post By AmyLM
  • 1 Post By Sylvera

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband and I have made the difficult decision to rehome our Australian Shepherd puppy. As much as I don't want to, we are very poorly suited to him, and we got a very definite sign that we're not qualified to work him through his issues. I feel like a failure as a dog parent.

We were trying really hard to get him through some of his behavioral issues (separation anxiety and extreme fear of kids) and we were having what seemed like good success, but yesterday something horrible happened. He has been staying at my MIL's for a few days while we get our elderly tenant settled in, which was also good experience for our pup because they have a 7 year-old boy who he was initially very fearful of. He warmed up to the new situation really quickly and quickly got over his fear of the boy. They say he was doing really well and even had some photos and videos of the two cuddling up. It sounded like things were going really great. I wish I could say they still were.

Yesterday we were visiting for dinner and, near the end of the evening - everything seemed so calm, our puppy was dozing under the dinner table - the kid went running through the kitchen on his way to the living room to say goodnight. Without missing a beat, the puppy jerked up, ran right after him, and bit him in the butt. The poor kid screamed bloody murder and cried for a good 10 minutes. I wasn't looking so I didn't see exactly what happened, but both my husband and MIL did see it happen. They think he was just trying to herd him (it wasn't a serious bite, it left a mark but didn't draw blood) but it was still enough for even his MIL to agree we can't have him around a newborn. What equates to a 7 year-old's butt could easily be a toddler's face, and even a gentle bite could be devastating when done to a baby or young kid. It's just not a risk we are willing to take.

I think I already knew that he wouldn't be right for a home with kids, but I'm still really upset to have to see him go. He is a very sweet dog most of the time and he means well - he would never intentionally try to hurt someone - but he obviously really needs a calm, quiet home without surprises, and we can't give him that. I've been a wreck all day - I'm really going to miss him.
~*Bethy*~ likes this.

Brock Cody, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Nathan George, our rainbow, arrived @38 weeks (10/8/2015)

thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
June 4th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry to hear about this. You don't sound like a failure to me, you understand your puppy needs more training than you know have to give, and in the best interesting of the puppy, and your baby, your finding new sitition so he can get help.
June 4th, 2014, 03:27 PM
bugz
I sorry you're having to deal with this, I know how hard it can be. At least you are able to realize that you can't train him properly right now, many people don't realize that. Make sure he goes to a home that can care for him properly, many people cannot/will not properly train a dog or cannot handle dogs that need training.
June 4th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I am so sorry. You are not a failure, you're a responsible parent and dog owner. We have a yellow lab who is an AMAZING dog. Before him (well, actually along with him) we had a malanois mix. She was the smartest dog I'd ever seen and she was gorgeous. But, she had issues. We rescued her from the pound. She had a big scar around her neck but we didnt' know where it came from until she kept escaping and animal control said it was an imbedded collar scar...from being tied up as a puppy and as she grew, they didn't change or loosen her collar and it became imbedded around her neck. She kept getting out and that's why we got the lab, to keep her company and hopefully keep her in the yard even though we had an 8ft fence. She would climb it! She was an aggressive dog but what was strange was, she NEVER barked or growled. She lunged at my landlord one day and I thought it was a fluke because he reached right out to her instead of the right way to approach a strange dog. Then, she ran out in the street one day and bit a lady walking with her friend and baby. I was 6 months pregnant and was terrified of what she could or would do to a child. We got rid of her because I could not have her escaping and attacking people and she was too much of a risk as we were about to have a baby.
Don't beat yourself up. Like I said, you are being responsible!
Sylvera likes this.
DD2:4
DS: 2
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
June 4th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hun, you are NOT a failure. You gave him the BEST option anyone could have made for him!!! You gave him another chance to be in a better suited home where he can be focused on and maybe one day he will outgrow those fears. But for now, you know hes safe, and you know your baby will be safe. I applaud your decision. Most would have kept the dog and waited for an even bigger accident, maybe even with law enforcement involved - its not a pretty situation! He is with people that can help him and guide him now! I am sorry that you guys had to give him up, and the hole will be large for a while, but it does get better!! I tried and tried for almost 4 years to work with a rescue dog who was used as bait in a pit bull ring when he was a puppy (full bred chihuahua with papered parents!!) He never ever got over his issues, and was GREAT with babies and small kids - but as soon as my older 2 hit about 4 years old, they had grown too big for his liking and started growling and nipping at them. I rehomed him with an older lady who didnt have grandkids - he is still her pet to this day Some times we have to make that call for them to be happy. It stinks, and we are the ones that suffer - but he will live a happy life now
June 4th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. You are NOT a failure by any means. You did everything you could for him, and now you're doing the best thing for him and giving him a new home. It takes a LOT to make this decision, and it's an incredibly selfless one. Hugs!

June 5th, 2014, 05:27 AM
meld10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry . Sometimes it's just best for everyone, including the puppy, to make this decision. Hopefully you can find a aussie rescue that could take over the adoption process. They are great at placing the dog with the right family and caring for the dog in the transition (normally placed in a foster home to assess character and work on different behavioral issues even before he his put up for adoption).

Good luck and please don't feel terrible, I am sure he will find a wonderful, well-suited for family.

6/12/2013- 8 weeks
June 5th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Super Mommy
I think you are doing the right thing. Some breeds are better with older kids or no kids at all in a family.
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14
June 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran
I know its hard but I think you made the right decision Hope the puppy finds a good home close to you so you can see him grow up??
June 5th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for your thoughts, ladies I am trying to get used to the idea of not hearing him sprinting around the house anymore, or barking at people who pass the house, or whining at our other dog to try and get him to play. Does it sound crazy that I kind of miss those things? LOL. He was a brat but he was also so sweet. I know we're doing the right thing but it will still take time to adjust to his absence.

He is still at our MIL's for now (but being closely watched) while we look for a home. We have had some promising leads - one woman in particular has two teenagers and another Aussie who needs a play buddy, and a ton of land for him to rip around on. She knows about his issues and has had Aussies all her life so she is perfectly aware of what she is getting into. I think he will be perfect for her and I will rest easy knowing he is going somewhere where he will be well looked after and I have no doubt he will be very happy there.
meld10 likes this.

Brock Cody, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Nathan George, our rainbow, arrived @38 weeks (10/8/2015)

thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search