Organizing Baby Clothes

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Caerus
  • 3 Post By bandriessen
  • 1 Post By Urchin
  • 1 Post By angelinal09
  • 1 Post By kto1111

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
I have another question about how on earth to organize all these crazy baby clothes.

We only have 3 big(ish) dresser drawers for the baby. Would you separate clothes by size, by type (e.g. a drawer for pants & shirts, a drawer for onesies, and a drawer for miscellaneous), by size & then different stacks for different types, or by some other system completely? I was originally going to save one of those drawers for cloth diapers, but I think we are going to just keep one of those plastic drawer stands next to the changing area with diapers and diaper changing stuff instead.

How are you organizing baby clothes? It's a little overwhelming!
angelinal09 likes this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
June 25th, 2014, 06:54 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol, honestly, I'm not organizing baby clothes. The baby clothes are all in a drawer. If I were a more organized person, I'd probably sort by tops, bottoms, misc.

June 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM
babyDamico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine are sorted by size and type..... each drawer is a different size and the sizes are organized into sleepers, onesies, outfits ect...

June 25th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran
I do size and type. I may have done it different before I had so many "helpers" :-D it's easier to say to my children look in this drawe for a onesie I am more likely to get tge right size that way ;-) so I usually have 0-3 month drawer 3-6 month drawer and 6-9 month drawer. In the closet I do the same w homemade dividers.
June 25th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
In baby's room we have a lot more hanging closet space than dresser drawer space so I'm hanging as many outfits as I can - I think it makes it easier to see what all I have too. The drawers will just be for the sleepers and plain onesies. I have all those organized in a box in the closet by size in those XXL Ziploc bags - one for 3 months, one for 6 months and so on so as she grows I'll just pull out the new bag for the drawer.

June 25th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyDamico View Post
Mine are sorted by size and type..... each drawer is a different size and the sizes are organized into sleepers, onesies, outfits ect...
This is how I have it right now. Part of the problem is I don't really know the difference between a sleeper and a onesie. #FTMProblems

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
June 25th, 2014, 08:05 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A onezie is short or long sleeved, and has no legs. It button snaps between the legs. A sleeper is typically long sleeved, and has legs (and sometimes footies) they zip or button.

I bought a bunch of little drawer organizers.

They're by size also. In the closet...well, I need to take a picture of that...but I did order these cute size divider things to keep everything separate. I got them on etsy.
Caerus, kto1111 and Jenn-F like this.
1:50pm
August 29, 2014

♡ September 2014 DDC ♡
June 25th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably would put anything above 3-6 months away to save drawer space. Then I would sort by size, then by type. I'm also going to have most of our stuff hanging in the closet.
June 25th, 2014, 08:44 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD I think I had everything not her current size in one drawer that was not organized. Then I organized the rest of the drawers of the size she did fit based off of type of clothing.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
June 25th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Veteran
I also organized by type (and somewhat size). I put all shirts and onsies in top drawer (different sizes near each other). The second drawer was shorts/pants and bottom drawer pjs/sleepers/and some hoodies/sweaters. When he was really small one of the drawers also had mittens/socks/hats. Now his socks are in a box on top of his dresser with his ties too. I'm sure you'll find a perfect system based on what you have and the space you have. It seems like a good idea to put the diapers elsewhere so you have more room and can easily find stuff.
June 26th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
With DD, I had hanging organizers and a shelf in her closet. I need to be able to see everything, so a dresser doesn't work well for me.

I organized by type. Any of the larger outfits were put in her changing table drawers for later use.

I had onesies on one shelf, then pants, then footed sleepers, etc. I had a little basket for socks and one for hats. I hung up all her cardigans and put extra blankets on her shelf as well.
xzippedx likes this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

June 26th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only keep the current size in the drawers, when Luke was a baby the clothes that didn't fit yet just hung in the closet and with Brady they were in big plastic tubs organized by size in the attic and I just got them out as needed.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

June 26th, 2014, 06:40 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Expecting #3
mine are sorted by size + colors! i have babygrows all lined up next to each other from 0 months up to 9 months, a drawer for socks and pants and crib shoes a drawer for shirts (polo shirts, t-shirts, sleeveless) all according to sizes and color another drawer for bankets and crib sheets baby jackets are packed away in vacuum packs for now and another one for baby wipes and nappies

Last edited by xzippedx; June 26th, 2014 at 07:41 AM.
June 26th, 2014, 07:30 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stop it you guys!!! I feel like a sloth, lol. There MUST be someone on here as unorganized as I am...right?!
kto1111 likes this.

June 26th, 2014, 09:29 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
haha. This is a fun read. Some of you are super organized. Impressive!!

Our dresser is pretty big. The 4 small drawers on top had the following: 1) socks/hats/mittens 2) hair bows/accessories 3) misc diapering/medicinal supplies 4) burp cloths.

The 4 large drawers had the following 1) outfits/onesies/sleepers (current size) 2) blankets/swaddles/sleepsacks 3) outfits/onesies/sleepers in the next size 4) misc junk like parenting books, photos, extra toys, etc.

When DD was little, all her regular stuff pretty much fit in to one drawer. Now that she's bigger, we're organized a little differently but thankfully the rotation doesn't change as often! We only hang nice dresses and sweaters.
angelinal09 likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search