Can somebody explain to me...

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By destiny2000
  • 1 Post By kellyowens
  • 1 Post By destiny2000
  • 1 Post By sheriwx
  • 1 Post By jrchubbycheeks
  • 1 Post By michelleH
  • 1 Post By ~*Kixs*~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Taniam's Avatar Veteran
Why you would need/want a pack and play?

I'm looking at all these registry recommended items and they all include one. I never really understood the necessity of it, but then again this is my first child.

Can anyone shed light on this? do you have one? What do you use it for? It is really worth it?

My Ovulation Chart

June 26th, 2014, 04:53 PM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
We used our pack n play when we didn't have room for a crib. It also got used when we went visiting people/camping/ and later on when friends came over that needed a space for their baby. Its also easier if you get one instead of a bassinet/cradle for the livingroom(or wherever) because it last longer than those two things. But if you don't need one or aren't planning on sleeping anywhere but home then you don't really need one.
Taniam likes this.
June 26th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Super Mommy
They are great for travel or a portable crib. They are also a play pen for outdoors, etc.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
June 26th, 2014, 05:25 PM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Chiming in from December DDC.... FTM here as well. I plan to use it when we go to family gatherings and baby may need to nap or just not be held for awhile. Also, may use it for at home when I nap innliving room to have baby next to me.

Last edited by JackieV; June 26th, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
June 26th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Taniam's Avatar Veteran
Okay i kind of like the idea of napping when visiting friends and family and maybe for naps elsewhere in the house. I'm just not a big fan of the idea of letting baby play in such a small space. I mean i have a bunny that has a pen bigger than a pack and play and i never put her in, i feel sorry for her when she is stuck in there lol

My Ovulation Chart

June 26th, 2014, 05:53 PM
kellyowens's Avatar forever learning
I had one for years and never used it, lol, finally gave it away .

I do use an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper though and gradually transition to the crib (which is at the end of my bed at first). I have never actually used the play-pen part of the co-sleeper.
Taniam likes this.

#10 due 11/15/14
June 26th, 2014, 05:55 PM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think most people use them anymore for playing in, unless needed like at a bbq where baby can't be on the ground but doesn't want to be held, or s/he needs a confined area while you are doing something and can't hold baby etc.. I don't think anyone just puts baby in there to play all the time
Taniam likes this.
June 26th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Super Mommy
Funny, the pack n play was the best item we ever got. Our babies wouldn't sleep in the crib, but they would in the pack n play. They are also great for when traveling as a nice confined space for babies to sleep. I also love the baby changing insert that is made of plastic because it's easy to sanitize after the inevitable blow out diaper change.

This is our fifth baby, and our pack n play has seen so much use that we might have to buy a new one. I prefer it personally to the crib because you don't have to haul the baby high over the rail. (We use the infant insert when they are really little.)

I should add that we never used it as a play area. Just as a bed and changing table.
Taniam likes this.
June 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran
Mine has a bassinet and changing table that is nice for when the baby is really small. I sleep them in there in the "bassinet" stage.

We've also taken ours camping.

Also if I need to run and put laundry in (basement) and the baby is mobile I need to put them somewhere if and older kid opens the basement door I don't have to worry about baby falling down the stairs so I can stick baby in there real quick while I do that. I also used this for the last purpose which I highly recommend for quick moments that you have to get other things done. Robot Check
Taniam likes this.
Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 16 year old Sanura, 13 year old Adrian, 10 year old Nevaeh, 8 year old Lincoln, 4 year old Charlotte,2 year old Harper, and a new addition expected around November 7th, 2017
June 26th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Taniam's Avatar Veteran
You guys bring up very valid points... i'm starting to consider it. I'll have some convincing to do with my husband tho if i decide i want one lol

My Ovulation Chart

June 26th, 2014, 09:48 PM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine has the bassinet and changing table on it so I use it when baby comes home for a few weeks until they aren't waking up quite as frequently and every little move they make starts waking you up, then baby moves to their room in the crib. I have never used it for letting the baby play in it. It's also useful for overnight stays outside of the house.
June 26th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
See if you can get a hand-me-down Ya we never used ours to play in... More for traveling if I wanted to lay baby down.

Right now I have one for my nephew (8mo) and we use it as a changing table and a place to store all the baby stuff (never ever use it to play in). Not sure it will get much use for me baby but it's nice to have JIC.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

June 27th, 2014, 03:20 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
You do not need one with all the bells and whistles that is for sure. I find our handy for a few reasons. I do not leave the baby sleeping in another room from myself. I use it in the family room for the lo to sleep in when. I also had two big dogs and it is safer than a Moses Basket in there.

Later on when they are a bit older, if we are doing floor time and I have to run to the bathroom I can pop baby in to be safe for a few mins.

I see now people have areas designated off with those white gate/ fences things. So again you do not NEED one.

This time around if baby would rather sleep on his or her own (and not co sleep) We will use that as the crib next to our bed.

June 27th, 2014, 04:38 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
The pack n play was the best gift I got!! We are weird amd never got a crib! So both my boys jist slept in the pack n play full time from birth until about 2 years when we then switched them to a toddler bed. I love my pack n play. We used the bassinet part for the first 3-4 months then the slept on the bottom half. Its easy to take on vacation etc too and they would be used to sleeping in it.
DS3- Born 11/4/14
June 27th, 2014, 06:19 AM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister always used one and loved it. My mom has one at her house for the grand babies too. I think it will come in handy for us because we do some traveling and its just nice to have that portable option. And from what I've seen, its always more for sleeping/changing time and not so much playing. I'm sure we will get some good use out of ours!

Brooks Kinlee Barnes
6 lbs 13 oz 18.25"
Two in Heaven
2/7/2013 (6w4d)
5/22/2015 (4w3d)

Expecting a Baby BOY early January 2017!
June 27th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Regular
It really is necessary if you travel a lot. We spend holidays at my parents so baby needs a place to sleep. Also when my in laws babysit I take it over there so he has a place to sleep during nap time. Ours gets a lot of use but if you don't go anywhere it isn't necessary at all.
June 27th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Super Mommy
They are all over the place second hand, so if you're not sure you will use it much, get one that way. But make sure you open it and see if everything you want is in there. There are lots of accessories, some may not be all that important to you though.
Taniam likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
June 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you do not co-sleep then having a pack & play is great when baby is sick and you want them sleeping close to you. Sick babies breath funny and make weird noises and it will just make you feel better to have them in the room with you.

Aside from that they are great for going to a relatives house. Just take the pack & Play with you and baby has a place to safely nap. Or we used to use them for game night at friends house. No need to rush home when baby was tired...just set up the pack and play in a back room. We have also taken ours camping & to hotels on vacation.
Taniam likes this.

June 27th, 2014, 06:58 PM
kixsgc's Avatar Veteran
Our bedroom is upstairs, and because I'm having a section mine will be downstairs while I sleep on the couch the first few days or so.

Our Rainbow baby <3
Henry David- 11.11.14<3

June 30th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Veteran
We use ours for naps, or when I need to run out to the kitchen or something while making dinner and DH isn't available, it keeps him there for a few minutes. We never really used it for a play space, but it is very nice to have when traveling or going elsewhere and there may not be a place for the baby to sleep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search