Baby Spottt's fast birth 7-2-14 detailed

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By Spottts
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By VallyD

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had been pretty convinced for the past week that I was going to go past my due date and was wavering on whether to schedule a voluntary induction. I was working on accepting being pregnant, gracefully go over and not do an induction for my own reasons. I was already past when the other kids had been born. But my other deliveries had been unmediated and I wanted to do that again. My platelet count had been low but not under 100,000 and I'd find out the new level on Wed., July 2 at my appointment. A platelet count of under 100,000 would mean an epidural wasn't an option.

Monday, June 23 (38.2 weeks) I was only 1 cm, 50%, and -2 station. I had been 2 cm at 35.6 weeks. I had been having regular contractions that must not have been doing much for weeks. I'd have them for an hour or two, 3-4 minutes apart, 30-45 seconds. I thought it might be "the time" a few times but the contractions would not progress. Insert annoyance here and I started to ignore any contractions that weren't obvious.

Saturday night I went to my brother's house and borrowed an exercise ball. I used it for 5 -10 minutes at a time, a few times on Sunday - Tuesday. Tuesday, July 1, in the early afternoon, I noticed some mucous that was pink, not a lot. I wasn't sure if that was "bloody show" but that doesn't mean labor is starting. I didn't notice contractions. I figured if nothing else my cervix was making some kind of progress and I'd find out at my appointment the next day. DH was going with me and my mom was going to watch the kids.

* It was at 11:35 pm I noticed I had had some contractions and started timing them. (Same app Timica used. Lol) They were 5-7 minutes apart mostly 30-45 seconds until about 1:00 am. At 1 they got more intense and sitting on the exercise ball felt good but were 6-7 minutes apart so I took a shower at 1:30 am to see if they'd go away. The contractions didn't go away during the shower but the water on my belly felt great.

When I got out of the shower at 2:00 am I told DH I thought it would happen tonight. He was doubtful. (This is DH's first bio baby so he wasn't there for the other births.) We had been watching Weeds on Netflix and resumed. I spend the time on the exercise ball (which I hadn't ever found comfortable before, btw) and the contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and a minute long. I wasn't talking during them either. At 2:30 I thought about calling my mom to watch the kids and the hospital BUT the contractions hadn't been under 5 minutes apart for an hour yet so I waited.

At 3:00 am the contractions were closer again, stronger and I left like I should sit on the toilet during them. I had already had 2 BM earlier that night. I called my to come to my house. She's 30 minutes away. Then I called the doctor's office. Of course they told me to head in to the hospital. By this point it's 3:15. I just stay on the toilet (not going) because I'm feeling pressure down there. I tell DH to not wait on my mom - get the kids now. We're leaving and can't wait on her. He gets up the 3 kids, they use the restroom and we leave. The hospital is 15-20 minutes from our house.

*** Edit: I had noticed a little blood on the tp after wiping 2x from 1-3 am. After I already had the go ahead to head to the hospital there was some more. DH saw it and that's when the reality of "it's happening tonight" hit him he told me.

Typing on my iPad. Will go back and finish the story after I feed baby.

DH drives to the hospital and I have some contractions are lasting a long time. I was rubbing his hand thinking of positive affirmations with my eyes closed. (I had stopped timing them after I told DH to wake the kids.) DH was so cute and asked if I needed to time them still as he's driving. I laughed and told him we were past that point. The kids did a good job staying quiet. DH dropped me off at L&D but walked up first and told them who I was. I kept telling him to just go park. I was okay.

I signed a paper and was getting into the wheelchair to go up to the 2nd floor when a contraction hit. I told the ladies to hold on. As it was passing I said that then apologized because I couldn't moved yet. (Doh! I laughed at this later.) The contractions kept up through the short elevator ride. I was feeling pressure and bearing down felt better than just breathing through the contractions.

When I got into the room I warned the nurse I wasn't sure if I'd be able to give a urine sample but I'd try. She said no problem. I had taken off my bottom clothes and was able to squeeze out a sample. Then a contraction hit and I really felt the need to bear down. I must have grunted because the nurse asked if I was okay. It didn't feel like the head was there but I had my hands down there just in case. Pop! My water broke - into the toilet, the floor, my shoes and hands. I felt some relief after that. Time was 3:54 am. Fluid looked clear. (Heard from the nurse)

She got more nurses in the room. They hooked up baby's heart beat and contraction belt. I told the nurse I was feeling like bearing down. When I was doing that the baby's heart rate was dropping so I was rolled to my left side. I was supposed to blow out and not bear down. I've got to remember that for the next baby because doing that felt even better than bearing down! (I had totally forgotten what I read in Hypnobirthing about not pushing but breathing down.) I get checked and am fully dilated, ready to go. However, my doctor isn't there yet and I haven't finished signing forms!

DH and the kids hadn't even made it to the waiting room. They were stopped in the hallway and he was told it was happening now. A nurse took the girls to another room and she stayed with them so DH could be with me.

I'm signing consent forms between contractions. I saw a lady coming at me with an IV bag and I gave her death daggers with my eyes and facial expression. Another contraction hit and I said that she (the baby) was coming. Then I clarified she coming out now. I had someone holding the baby's belt for the heartbeat because when I'd move it'd slip off. I rolled myself so I could push and the nurses got ready.

I think her head came out with two pushes. I just did whatever my body told me to. No one was instructing me. (SIL asked later how many pushes and I realized I wasn't sure.) After the head was out I was told to stop. The umbilical cord was around the neck. It was pretty tight and couldn't be looped off. The nurse ended up having to cut it off before I could finish pushing. I admit, baby 1/2 in and out hurt. (But there was relief after the head came out.) Once the cord was off her neck (they told me) and the next contraction I pushed out the rest. Getting the baby got gave my body more relief. Official birth time was 4:08 am. 14 minutes after my water broke.

They put baby on me immediately. Poor thing was blue but crying and breathing. A nurse gave her a little oxygen by mask close to her face for a few seconds and her regular color started coming.

There was definitely more blood than expected. I could tell by their reactions and getting extra pads to soak it up. My doctor came in. I needed pitocin but had no IV. Dr said to not start an IV after someone got out the IV bag again. So, I was able to just get the shot. As the doctor typed my the notes in the computer, I got my blood drawn for labs. Dr delivered the placenta about 15 -20 minutes after the baby was born. (I heard the exact time but don't remember.) I had a 1st degree tear. She gave me the local to numb the area but the lady next to me had an emergency. So once she came back from that, she finished stitching me.

I did not expect things to go that fast with this baby. The twins came fast too but I thought that was because of all the PTL and already being dilated. Nope, once my body gets rolling it does not stop.

Thursday we decided on Penelope Diane as her name. I've typed a novel so will post pics later. I'm off to feed Penny again. Thanks for reading. excuse autocorrects as I did not proof

Sept. 2013 3/10/15

Last edited by Spottts; July 4th, 2014 at 10:28 PM.
July 4th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Ooooh, cliffhanger.....
VallyD likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 4th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG!!! You cannot leave us hanging like that! LOL!!
Earthy.Mama likes this.

July 4th, 2014, 07:59 PM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Earthy.Mama likes this.
July 5th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quick and sweet! Congratz again

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 5th, 2014, 08:17 AM
casslou1's Avatar Super Mommy
awesome birth story! I'm glad everything went well for you, I can't wait to see pics!

waiting to be matched with IP's to become a first time surrogate
July 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Super Mommy
Awesome birth story. Going to search for pictures now. Congratulations.

03/13 - missed miscarriage at 11 weeks
July 5th, 2014, 10:17 AM
ZeeWP's Avatar On to the second!
Such a great story! Congratulations again!

July 5th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Such a great birth story!!

Mommy to Keagan - June 2008, Benny - October 2010 and Liam - June 2012
July 7th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wonderful birth story!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search