Circumcision

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree63Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
Super Mommy
If you are having a boy (or if you end up with one) are you planning to circumcise? Why? Why not?

If you already have a boy (or boys) did you? or didn't you?

I'm curious as to what other people are doing and why, and interested in learning about reasons for or against that I haven't thought of/considered before!
kaitkait1992 likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography

Last edited by michelleH; July 21st, 2014 at 01:37 PM.
July 21st, 2014, 02:03 PM
kixsgc's Avatar Veteran
I have a 5 year old boy and he's circumcised and this little one will be too.

There aren't any real reasons to have it done other than we don't want him asking why he's different, the percentage of increased infections/problems isn't that significant and I think it's more personal preference for the parents and what they are comfortable with.
jellis82 likes this.

Our Rainbow baby <3
Henry David- 11.11.14<3

July 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM
We are jewish so it's traditions as well as a healthy choice for us. Now I have to figure out if we are doing it in the hospital or the traditional route (8 days after birth at home). There are lots of mixed opinions about that one as well!
July 21st, 2014, 02:10 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Very personal choice for each family...

We did NOT do it to our boys. There is NO medical reason and we have no religious tradition to do so.

It is not done anywhere but the usa. Personally I could never put my newborn though that pain just so 'he would look like his daddy' or 'so he looks like everyone else.' Again it is a very personal choice - therefore there is not 'right' or 'wrong'.

Just be sure to educate yourself on WHY it started to be done in the usa. In the bigger cities in the states it is done less and less as the population is more diversified and 'difference' isn't so worrisome.

I had a hard time finding good information when we had this choice to make with my first back in 2003. I have never seen an uncircumsized penis and knew NOTHING about it.

Circumcising our son -- How do we decide? - CNN.com
nyc_mama and BlueEyes09 like this.

July 21st, 2014, 02:14 PM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
My oldest boy is circumcised because that what my ex wanted, my two youngest boys are not, my dh is not and after knowing that it didn't effect his and its actually better for him did not see a reason to do it to them. Never once had any of the three boys asked why they looked any different from each other.
July 21st, 2014, 02:28 PM
kellyowens's Avatar forever learning
Dh is circ'ed but our 4 boys are not.

Evidence does support the benefits of circumcision, but the AAP states that they do not feel the benefits are great enough at this time to recommend routine circumcision for all newborn boys so we have always opted to forgo the procedure: New Evidence Points to Greater Benefits of Infant Circumcision, But Final Say is Still Up to Parents, Says AAP

I absolutely support every parent's right to make that decision for their own families though and have no qualms with circ'ing in general .

#10 due 11/15/14
July 21st, 2014, 02:53 PM
Veteran
I have two boys, they are circumcised. My husband insisted and it was fine with me for him to decide about that issue.
MomTo3LittleBoys and jellis82 like this.
Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 16 year old Sanura, 13 year old Adrian, 10 year old Nevaeh, 8 year old Lincoln, 4 year old Charlotte,2 year old Harper, and a new addition expected around November 7th, 2017
July 21st, 2014, 02:59 PM
I didn't personally have an opinion on this one way or the other, mainly because, as a woman, it's not something I have first hand knowledge of. So, for this I completely based it off of what my boyfriend felt and decided. He isn't and neither is my step-son, and I haven't heard of any big issues (mainly just focus on making sure it's clean and letting the kids know how important it is). This is an area I'm will for sure be deferring to him on, especially when it comes to any questions, how-to's, etc since he has much more knowledge and experience than I do. If I had to make the decision solely on my own, I don't know what I would do as there seem to be so many pros/cons for both sides, so glad I had someone to rely on for this one.
July 21st, 2014, 03:45 PM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
My son is circumcised as is DH. DH's father had to be circumcised for medical reasons a few years back and hearing how absolutely horrifying that ordeal was solidified our choice to get our son circumcised. I've also heard many other stories just like his and even though I know that might be a rare instance we just felt like it was a good decision. As others have said it is definitely a very personal decision for each family.
kixsgc and BABY3. like this.
July 21st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I have very strong feelings but I will be brief

My ex is circ'd and so is my current DH but none of my boys will ever go through that. I have a 14yo and a 9yo and not once have they been concerned they don't match their father. We have never had any issues with hygiene with them and it's been a breeze having uncirc'd boys.

It's unnecessary and IMO barbaric. We scoff at countries that circ females, and while I agree its way more damaging, male circ does damage (and there are unnecessary risks).
Insurance does not even cover it any longer because it is seen as uneeded and cosmetic.
As far as whether or not I should have an opinion, I will always have an opinion on my child's health and sexual function no matter what the gender of the child. And should we ever have a girl DH will have just as much of an opinion with her.
That said I would never make a choice that would affect my child for the rest of their lives unless I had to. If my boys feel I made the wrong choice by not circ'ing them, they can correct this by getting it done. If I had circ'ed them and they felt I made the wrong choice, what then? My BF has always wished his parents never circ'd him and he was the one years ago that opened my eyes to children's rights and the ramification of our choices.

I'm sorry if this comes across gruff but I am passionate about this subject. And honestly the only reason i post my opinion is in hope to swaying someone on the fence. Otherwise I wouldn't because I know it hurts some people's feelings and I swear that is not my goal or intention.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

July 21st, 2014, 04:37 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We will be having it done. DH is, and it's important to us for the reasons listed by AAP, as well as cleanliness. I do believe it is a personal choice for each family. My mother is a nurse and had told me some stories about older gentlemen in nursing homes having difficulty keeping it clean. I know there's valid arguments either way, but from a personal perspective DH's penis is circ'd and fabulous. DH has a strong preference to do it, and being that he has the equipment, I feel his opinion should carry more weight. He defers to me for all things vagina.
July 21st, 2014, 05:43 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Both of my boys are and so is DH. We will do it again this time. ^ pretty much ditto the above.
DS3- Born 11/4/14
July 21st, 2014, 07:35 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
None of my children are, not the girls and not the boys either. Equal treatment here. Levi will not be either, but you probably already figured that out.
BlueEyes09, Lucy S. and michelleH like this.
July 22nd, 2014, 06:02 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is circumsized - my only reason is that is what DH wanted, and it wasn't a hot issue for me...

BTW - my insurance covered my son's circumcism.

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
July 22nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
Our insurance covered our son's as well Jenny.

By the way, what the heck is a female circumcision?
July 22nd, 2014, 07:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamomtomany View Post
None of my children are, not the girls and not the boys either. Equal treatment here. Levi will not be either, but you probably already figured that out.
I have many reasons for my position on the surgery, but the above is probably the strongest for me. The equivalent surgery would be to remove all of your daughter's labial folds. (Actual female circumcision include anything from removal of the clitoris to removal of the clitoris and all of the external labial folds. There is no actual equivalent surgery for boys.) I can't imagine 99% of people would even consider doing that.

If you wouldn't cut your daughter's genitalia for "cleanliness and aesthetic reasons" then why would you cut your son's for those reasons?

And my husband was 100,000% for having the procedure done, with one of his prime reasons being "so he won't look different from dad" it took a lot of reading and evidence based studies to sway him.

Personally, I know more men who have had problems related to their circumcision (four) than have had the procedure done after infancy (three.) In my opinion, there are probably many more of the former, but how many men do you know who are going to admit that they have a less-than-normal functioning penis?

It is a personal decision, and I have many friends who have had it done on their children, but I also believe it's one that should be made for a deeper reason than "because everyone does it."
nyc_mama, BlueEyes09 and Lucy S. like this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
July 22nd, 2014, 07:18 AM
Super Mommy
Interesting story: a friend of mine was doing computer training at the hospital she works for. She was in a back room on the Labor and Delivery floor working on a computer. Multiple times a baby boy was brought back in a carrier, the circumcision was performed on the table behind her, and then the baby was brought back to the parents a few minutes later. No operating room, no sterile environment, no anesthetic - just a back office on the maternity ward.

This was two years ago.

(I just read her this post, and she confirmed that it is 100% accurate.)

One angel baby - 1/22/14

July 22nd, 2014, 08:36 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our boys were circ'd. And if we have any other sons they will be as well. This is something I thought a lot about. DH's reason reason was b/c he is. And while I respect my husband the idea of having someone cut on my baby just b/c DH had it done did not sit right with me. I needed more then that.

The thing that finally swayed me was some statistical info from the CDC that says "Male circumcision reduces the risk that a man will acquire HIV from an infected female partner, and also lowers the risk of other STDs , penile cancer, and infant urinary tract infection." - http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/
If I can have something done to my son while he is an infant, wont remember it, that will reduce his risk of the above mentioned it is worth it to me.

I did request that both our boys be given a numbing topical rub as well as the typical Tylenol to help with pain.

Our oldest son dud developed adhesions on his penis (where the remainder of the foreskin adheres to the shaft or head of the penis) it corrected itself and broke free during typical growth by the time DS was 18m old. He never acted as if it hurt him or told us it hurt him. This is just something I saw during diaper changes and brought up with the pedi. Adhesions do happen but less than 3% need medical intervention to correct. And most resolve on their own by 3 years of age. (I don't have the source for the 3% quote b/c this is what we were told by the pedi urologist we consulted with.) Penile adhesions after neonatal circumcision. [J Urol. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

But like everyone else has said...this is a personal choice and you need to look at both sides to find a decision that is right for your family. This just happens to be the choice we made and what feels right for our family.
MadMay and jellis82 like this.

July 22nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
Absolutely circumcision!

I worked in a nursing home and have seen first hand the disgusting infections that are VERY common in older men who werent able to take care of themselves properly. The pain they go through as a child to get a circumcision is probably nothing compared to the agony they very easily suffer as an older adult. Also I just find an uncircumcised penis unsightly and gross to look at (not that they are exactly pleasing to the eye to begin with) My Stepsons are not and I feel horrible for them but it was their mothers responsibility and I dont believe she had the money to pay for it. It really does suck that insurance dosnt cover it because I do feel after seeing the difference in elderly that it is a medical need.
jellis82 likes this.
July 22nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
I have many reasons for my position on the surgery, but the above is probably the strongest for me. The equivalent surgery would be to remove all of your daughter's labial folds. (Actual female circumcision include anything from removal of the clitoris to removal of the clitoris and all of the external labial folds. There is no actual equivalent surgery for boys.) I can't imagine 99% of people would even consider doing that.

If you wouldn't cut your daughter's genitalia for "cleanliness and aesthetic reasons" then why would you cut your son's for those reasons?

And my husband was 100,000% for having the procedure done, with one of his prime reasons being "so he won't look different from dad" it took a lot of reading and evidence based studies to sway him.

Personally, I know more men who have had problems related to their circumcision (four) than have had the procedure done after infancy (three.) In my opinion, there are probably many more of the former, but how many men do you know who are going to admit that they have a less-than-normal functioning penis?

It is a personal decision, and I have many friends who have had it done on their children, but I also believe it's one that should be made for a deeper reason than "because everyone does it."
There are women who have this done, have their hood removed, and some believe in the ritual, and there is also a ritual of genital "nicks."

Pediatricians now reject all female genital cutting - CNN.com

Quote:
The American Academy of Pediatrics has rescinded a controversial policy statement raising the idea that doctors in some communities should be able to substitute demands for female genital cutting with a harmless clitoral "pricking" procedure.
"We retracted the policy because it is important that the world health community understands the AAP is totally opposed to all forms of female genital cutting, both here in the U.S. and anywhere else in the world," said AAP President Judith S. Palfrey.

My ex-husband is circumcised, and it was decided early on that our sons would absolutely not be circumcised, as there is no rational, logical, evidence-based reason to prophylactically remove a functioning part of the body in hopes of reducing risks of disease or complication, especially when a particular disease is contracted by user error or poor judgment. I wouldn't have their tonsils or appendix prophylactically removed to avoid the possibility of tonsillitis or appendicitis. And last I checked, infant boys aren't at risk for STIs and STDs, because they're not having sex. And the way one protects themselves from such infections or diseases is to wrap it up. Simple. Europeans don't seem to have that problem whatsoever, nor do they have a problem with keeping their penises clean. Must be an American issue.

My current husband is circumcised, and I made it known early on that if we were to have a son he would not be circumcised. Good thing he's a man of rational thought and is naturally skeptical of cultural rituals and customs that have no basis in evidence-based medicine and practice. He, nor my ex, required any sort of convincing. It just made little sense to them, especially when factoring in the origins of it being practiced in the U.S.
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08 | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.17.18.

Last edited by Aeterna; July 22nd, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search