Team Greeners (or before you knew)...

Forum: 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By FlyingFlower
  • 1 Post By topato

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Do you find what people think you're having influences what YOU think you're having?

For the longest time, I didn't have a feeling about what sex this baby was, in either direction. Everyone keeps say it's a boy though, and it's starting to influence what I think this baby is. I don't want to have a feeling either way! lol

Now I find myself drawn towards more boyish stuff... There will be a lot of surprised people if this is girl! hehe

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

July 28th, 2014, 10:31 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm not team green, but my mom has told me a funny story about this.

when she was pregnant with my younger sister, she was able to find out her gender, very shortly before she was born. they were suspecting my sister would be born with downs (she wasn't!), but because of the risk, they did testing that was typically unavailable to moms at the time.

anyway, she mentioned to my aunt that she'd found out what she was having, but said she wanted to keep it a surprise. my aunt asked her if she was happy about the gender, and my mom said yes. (who would say no? lol)

so, to my aunt, that meant my mother was definitely having a boy! in her mind, my mom would only be happy with one child of each gender-- and that she'd be disappointed with a second girl. she went out and bought all blue, boyish stuff!

so, you've gotta wonder-- do people think you're having a boy because that's what they want for you, given that you already have a girl?
July 28th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
^^ That's what I think a huge part of it is. There's a big ideal set around having one of each, so everyone has wishful thinking that it's a boy.

I honestly don't care a whole lot either way. Sure it would be fun to have one of each, but another girl would be so much fun too!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

July 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
mhmm! isn't that weird?

before i found out i was having a boy, i kept having people say they thought i was having a girl. and it was like... based on what! i wasn't even slightly showing until after 20 weeks, so even old wives' tales wouldn't help them. they were projecting their desire for me to have a girl, since i already have a boy.

for me, i'm glad to be having a boy! sure, i'd love a little girl to dress up and stuff, but a second boy will be so much easier. i mean, they'll be close in age, so they'll be able to do boy stuff together. plus, i don't need to relearn anything, and i already have boy gear.
July 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran
I think it's a combination of people hoping you have one of each gender and a lot of people not understanding probability Just because you have a baby of one gender doesn't make it more likely you'll have one of the other.

Only a few people made predictions. A colleague and friend both guessed girl and my sister had a dream that I was having a boy. She was so confident that she told me to let her know when she was right! Even before I went for the ultrasound, I asked her if that meant that she didn't want to hear if it was a girl I guess it's only fair that she would guess boy; I had hoped she would be a boy before she was born!
July 28th, 2014, 11:38 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not team green, I just wanted to add that I think you're having a girl.

And then on another note, it's so weird to me the one of each thing being an ideal. I'd have been thrilled to have 5 boys or 5 girls. People keep hearing that we're having a boy and they're like "how perfect, now you can be done." Um no.
Urchin, Caerus, topato and 1 others like this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 28th, 2014, 12:13 PM
or conversely-- when people hear i'm having a second boy, they're like, so you need to try again! ....DO I?!! lol
FlyingFlower likes this.
July 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
Do you find what people think you're having influences what YOU think you're having?
Yes, absolutely! I never had any kind of intuition or desire for one gender over another. DH badly wanted a boy, because girls scare him (he knows he'll have a hard time saying no to anything a little girl might want). He so wanted a boy that I started assuming that she was a boy. We didn't even settle on a girl name like we did for a boy. That said, I did have ONE gender dream of us looking at the ultrasound and her being a girl. Which ended up being the case.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search