Whitney Jelene 7/15 @ 35 weeks

So This Is Love

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To So This Is Love LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
This birth definitely wasn't how I planned, but I'm at peace with it all because it was the safest option for us.

We had planned another homebirth but I was also seeing an OB in addition to my midwife (intuition perhaps?). I hadn't done that in other pregnancies. At the end of June I left on a big family road/camping trip. The trip was pretty uneventful and I was really good about taking it easy and skipping out on activities that made me feel too worn out or tired. The last three days we stayed in Boise to visit family and we joked around about how it would be okay if baby came while we were there because the hotel was immediately next door to a huge hospital!

July 14th we headed home. About 3 hours into the trip we stopped for lunch. As soon as I walked into the restaurant something didn't feel right. I got dizzy, crampy, and felt very heavy and out of it. I barely touched lunch and went out to the car to lay down and wait for everyone else to finish. The rest of the way home DH drove (I had been driving 95% of the time before that). My feet started swelling a bit and I started having a headache and still couldn't shake the "this isn't right" feeling. I was having some mild, regular contractions, but not painful. I called my midwife and she had me stop at a pharmacy to check my blood pressure, which was slightly high for me, but within normal levels. When we got home I laid down for the rest of the day. I was feeling better physically but still felt something was off.

Went to bed at about 10:30. Baby was moving normally at that point but my uterus felt a touch more uncomfortable than usual when I was trying to settle in. I woke up about 12:45am feeling like I had peed the bed. Of course I jumped up immediately and ran to the bathroom, confused why it was still coming out since I can usually hold it once I'm awake. Sat down on the toilet and realized there was a huge trail of blood across the bathroom and down my legs and it kept coming. Every time I stood up more blood gushed from me. Bled though a pad instantly. So I hollered to DH that I needed help. He woke immediately, saw all the blood and I swear just about passed out. I had him start getting dressed and finding me something to wear while I called my mom to head over to watch the girls and called my midwife to let her know what was going on.

My mom got there in record time. As soon as she got there my calm dissolved and I was in tears pretty much the next 2 hours straight. She brought my step-dad who stayed with the kids and she drove us to the hospital. At this point I was wearing nothing but a nightgown and two towels shoved between my legs! My midwife had called the hospital to let them know we were coming and faxed over my info so they ran right out and rushed me to L&D. Thankfully they found baby's heartbeat right away, which was a huge relief. They did an ultrasound to rule out previa, but couldn't see the cause of the bleeding. however, baby failed the BPP and wasn't really moving and her heartrate was "flat" and non-reactive. I wasn't have any contractions or dilating so they determined an emergency c/s was the best option. I knew the second I saw the blood that a c/s would be the result so I was okay with it, though obviously very emotional.

The c/s itself was really surreal having never had anything like that done before! Through the whole thing the OB kept commenting on how HUGE the abruption was and how much blood and clots (some as big as some of the other nicu babies!!) they found. He later called it "scary" and basically said we would have both died if we had come in any later. They got baby out right away and had to pump her stomach because she had swallowed so much blood. She wasn't allowed anything to eat for the first 12 hours, which was actually kind of a good thing since there was no option of her getting a bottle before I was out of recovery to feed her.

So far the recovery is going okay. I'm pretty sore and tired and very anemic from the blood loss. Baby was 5lb 7.8oz and didn't need any breathing help. She's in the NICU still for monitoring until all the blood gets through her system and she starts eating better. Breastfeeding is rough, but to be expected for the circumstance. It'll get better I'm sure.

I'll try to add some pics later!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 16th, 2013, 02:46 PM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad you guys made it to the hospital and everything turned out okay with you and baby Whitney. I am so sorry her entry into the world was so traumatic for you both. (((hugs)))

Hoping breastfeeding improves and you both can go home soon.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
July 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So scary but I'm glad everything turned out ok at the end!! ((hugs)) How are you feeling? Praying for you and Whitney as your recover!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
I'm so glad you made it to the hospital in time ! I'm glad she is healthy and you are doing well. What a miracle you both are
July 16th, 2013, 02:58 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is terrifying I'm so glad you had the support of your mom and husband and that everything was okay in the end. I hope you recover quickly.
July 16th, 2013, 03:17 PM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
That is beyond scary! I can't even imagine how you were feeling. I am so glad however that you and baby are doing ok! I hope she continues to get better and comes home asap! Thinking of you still!!

July 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so happy you guys made it to the hospital in time! I'm sorry you didn't get the labor and delivery you hoped and planned for, but I'm thankful medicine is advanced enough to intervene in situations like this!

I hope BFing gets easier as she gets stronger!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

July 16th, 2013, 03:31 PM
84oilymom's Avatar Veteran
Happy you 2 are ok. Congrats!

July 16th, 2013, 03:31 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How scary of a night! I am glad you got in there in time and baby Whitney is doing well. Hope you are resting and recovering.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
July 16th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran
I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. Glad you and baby Whitney are both doing well. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you and that baby continues to do well.
July 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Honestlymonique's Avatar mommy of three
Omg I would have been freaking out on the inside. I'm so happy you n baby r okay n hope bf gets better.

July 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Super Mommy
That's a scary story. So glad it ended so good. Hope you both recover quickly and can go home soon. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep us posted on how you both are doing when you can. T &P to you both.
July 16th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Jhendrickson's Avatar Veteran
So glad everything turned out OK! Congrats on your sweet baby girl and update with pics soon!
July 16th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Mommy of 3
I'm so glad you're both okay!!!! That is terrifying!
Thinking of you both. Can't wait to see some photos

July 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
So glad you and baby are ok! Praying for a speedy recovery and that bf gets better !

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
July 16th, 2013, 06:41 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Wow that is so scary! I'm so sorry but so glad you are both okay!! Congratulations!!

July 16th, 2013, 07:59 PM
BabyT_heart_beat's Avatar Baby girl Londyn 8/13
Oh my these August babies are definitely making grand entrances..Im so glad you made it the hospital in time and you and baby are doing good. Congrats on your baby girl!

****Thank you*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy****

July 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Regular
So did they ever figure out where the bleeding was coming from? That is terrifying, so glad everything turned out ok and will only get better from here on out. Thinking of your family!
July 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you and baby are ok. Congrats on your baby girl!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggy!

July 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM
soaringphoenix's Avatar Mother Reborn
Glad you are both ok and hoping for a speedy recovery!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search