Georgia Valerie Lee 8/13/13

So This Is Love

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Momma2Chase
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To So This Is Love LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Georgia Valerie Lee C.
8/13/13 5:46pm
8lb 11oz - 19.68in

At my appointment on Monday August 12th I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. We went to labor and delivery that evening to begin my induction, and had Cervidil placed soon after arrival.

By the next morning I was dilated to 2.5cm and still 50% effaced. I thought this was bad progress but my Ob assured me that increasing from 1cm to 2.5cm while on Cervidil was a good thing. Pitocin was started sometime in the late morning or early afternoon.

Around 2pm I was dilated to 3cm and 60% effaced, baby's head at -2 station. A little before 4pm I was 6cm, 80%, and -1 station. I was having some pretty decent contractions, and vomiting. We decided now would be the best time for me to get my epidural because my Ob warned me that with a second labor I could very well go very quickly once my water broke. The anesthesiologist came in and placed the epidural... and then took it out and placed it again.

My contractions by this point had gotten pretty intense and I told my nurse I was still having pain and she told me that it was pressure not pain. I disagreed but tried to be quiet about it and hoped it would settle as the epidural had more time to kick in. As my nurse tried to increase the epidural, I felt a pop and a big gush! I said, "Oh my god! I think my water just broke!" The nurse checked me and sure enough, it broke! It was 4:20pm on the dot.

At some point anesthesia was paged to come back to my room because I was in serious pain. The woman who did my epidural came back and so did her supervisor (who I believe my nurse paged in addition to the woman). The two of them fussed over me and the epidural and they literally got into a FIGHT in my labor and delivery room! My mom and husband were in shock... I, however, didn't care as long as they fixed it. They kept pushing meds into me but nothing worked. At some point, the woman anesthesiologist was arguing with me that I wasn't feeling any pain.

My contractions were very strong by 5:15pm and I was vomiting in between them. I knew from my last delivery that I must have either been in or really close to transition. The contractions got so close together soon after this and I remember one ending and feeling the next one start and saying, "Oh no, not again!" because they were so much stronger than I ever experienced with my son.

By 5:20pm I was telling the nurse that I had to push. She checked me and I was dilated to 9cm but still had a "small lip" left of my cervix. She told me NOT to push or I could risk tearing the cervix. I told her I would try but I felt the need.

Minutes later, after me protesting that I HAD to push, my nurse checked me again and I was complete!

She told me we could do "practice pushes" now to see if I could bring the baby's head down. All of a sudden I had 4 nurses in the room with me, because my Ob was delivering the woman NEXT to me! So they were all there in case they had to do the delivery.

We started real pushing (not sure of the time), just in time for my Ob to come flying in the room apologizing! I pushed 3 times: first time brought her head down (and the doctor said, "She has lots of hair!"), 2nd brought her head out, and then the nurses grabbed both of my legs and pushed my knees back to my chest! I had NO idea what was going on but was told to push and I felt her come out!

The doctor put her right on my chest (my mom and husband joked that as soon as they held her towards me I snatched her!), and I was amazed at my sweet little baby girl! I couldn't believe how much HAIR she had! We 100% expected a bald baby! I looked at her and thought, "She IS small!" (My whole pregnancy I've been convinced that I was carrying a small baby- maybe about 7lbs)

She was taken to be cleaned up and weighed: my "small" baby was 8lbs 11oz with HUGE cheeks! I was most definitely wrong with my feeling on her size! lol

I found out the reason they pushed my legs back so far was that her shoulder was actually stuck on the way out!

She immediately had trouble breastfeeding. The nurse we had suggested we try a bottle of formula in order to get her to get something down while we practiced nursing. We did the bottle and had issues with that as well. She had to go back to the nursery for a few hours because her blood sugar was low and the nurse said she would just try the bottle again in there.
They brought Georgia back to our room at about 3am for me to breastfeed, and again we had the same issue. At this point I was feeling pretty sick so the nurse told me to use the bathroom and she'd try to feed her again in the nursery and bring her right back. I came out of the bathroom just a few moments later and the nurse was back in the room with the baby waiting for me.

She said, "I'm so sorry to have to tell you this..." (and of course my heart sank), "but the reason she won't eat is because she has a cleft palate." Instantly I thought, "no way!" I had always thought that ultrasound would pick up things like this and couldn't believe that after having 4 ultrasounds during my pregnancy she could have something that they didn't see.
My nurse explained that an assessment is done in the nursery as soon as the baby is born and that particular night there was a new nurse in there doing the assessments, and she was hesitant to stick her fingers all the way in the baby's mouth... therefore, she totally missed the cleft palate. The pediatrician was paged immediately because our nurse didn't know what to do since Georgia couldn't eat and she wasn't sure how to approach it. The pediatrician pretty much had no advice for her, just to attempt feeds and wait for the on call pediatrician to show up at 7. Thankfully, the 2nd doctor came in and immediately put in for a consult with the pediatric surgeon from the local Craniofacial Clinic and also occupational therapy (for help with feeding). Both showed up within 2 hours of the phone call, which impressed us a lot!
Georgia has also failed her hearing test in her left ear and is being sent to audiology to determine if it's hearing loss or fluid in her ear. Hopefully it's only fluid, but we're prepared for hearing loss as well.

The whole experience was much different than what I anticipated and I am honestly still trying to cope with a lot of it... it's going to take some time but I think we'll be okay!

Here's my sweet little girl:

yvee80 likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

August 18th, 2013, 07:24 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's a cutie! sounds like you had a great, though crazy, birth! Sorry your epi didn't work out so well, but you handled it great! I hope everything works out with her hearing and cleft palate <3
Momma2Chase likes this.
August 19th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Super Mommy
She is adorable!! They can do so much now to fix the cleft palate at an early age. And even the orthodontists will start treatment early if needed. I hope that her feelings are getting better! Good luck to you.
August 19th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
She's such a beautiful baby! Congratulations! Please keep us updated on hearing and palate.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

August 19th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Mommy of 3
Thanks for sharing!! She is a sweetheart!
Keep us updated on everything, I'm sure she's in good hands

August 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She's beautiful and very lucky to have you

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

August 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Thank you everyone DIdn't quite get the labor/delivery I was hoping for but I got something wonderful from it!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

August 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!1

August 20th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Super Mommy
She's soo pretty!!! My friend had a baby last year with a cleft in his soft palate. He just had his surgery to fix it all up a couple months ago and he is doing wonderful . And as far as the hearing test my son failed his 5 times before he passed... I kept asking if something what in his ear and they kept saying no but when the nurse pulled the little sound thing out to readjust it and this huge glob of wax came out! Hopefully she'll pass next time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search