Skylar Nicole's very long pic heavy birth story

So This Is Love

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cypressmama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To So This Is Love LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2013, 08:22 PM
cypressmama's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok so its almost a week out time to finally write her birth story. Adjusting to a newborn and a toddler is more then I realized it would be but my word am I happy

So you guys know I was going nuts trying to get things started, since I had Hailey 3 weeks early I expected Skylar to come around that point too. When my due date came and went the talk of induction began and I just knew my dreams of a home water birth were coming crashing down.

The day before I turned 41 weeks I took this pic

That day my mom left for school and my mother in law flew into town to stay till the baby got here specifically to take Hailey for the birth. The whole day I felt super crampy and sore but I had had so much false labor for weeks leading up to this that I just chalked it up to more of that.

That night a friend brought us a spaghetti dinner promising it to be magic. We got Hailey and my mother in law settled in and I took a bath, did 50 squats, several pelvic thrusts and got in bed. I couldn't sleep so I went out to the pool and did a few laps. The sky was so insanely bright and the moon was huge. That reflecting off the water the sound of cicadas buzzing and the peacefulness of swimming by myself in the moonlight completely void of any clothing was liberating. I came to a place of total peace releasing my fears of possible complications, accepting that whatever might come would be ok.

I crawled into bed did a little nipple stimulation for good measure and inserted like 5 evening primrose oil tablets and around 11 I passed out. Around 2:30 I was awoken by a very strong very intense contraction, breathed through it went back to sleep and this happened a couple times.

Around 3:45 I woke up again having to breath through them, they were coming about 6-10 minutes apart and were pretty bad. I laid there trying to see if they would stop. They still came. Got up ate cereal, still came, drank wine, still came took a warm bath still came IN the bath. This was new.

Around 5 am I crawled into bed and informed dh that he would not be going to work that day. We snuggled and talked and started making out pretty hot and heavy which goodnight made them WAY more intense. I got up went to the bathroom and noticed the rest of my plug and bloody show and they were 3-6 minutes apart. By 630 I figured it was time to call the midwife. I updated her but told her to wait I would call her when they were closer. 30 minutes later they were 2-3 minutes apart and kicking my butt. I told Andrew "you better call Cathy" we texted my friends the doula and the future l&d nurse and they headed this way.

Andrew set about cleaning and setting up the birth tub and while my mother in law got ready Hailey crawled into bed with me and we snuggled. Enjoying our last few moments together as my only child.

Finally around 8 am the midwives arrived and checked me and miraculously I was 4 cm 90% effaced!! This was miraculous because I had been in hard labor with Hailey for 16 hours before I was a 4. They discovered she was sunny side up so we did some techniques to get her to turn. This one is called an inversion

And this is called the Ribozzo technique. They wrap your belly with a scarf and jiggle it till the baby turns. It felt awesome and actually intensified the contractions

After that I labored in the living room for about an hour relaxing listening to and singing along with my worship music between contractions and crawling up and putting my head in Andrew’s lap during them

After about an hour my contractions had gotten way more intense and I was starting to feel nauseated during them so she felt it was time to check me. It’s a good thing she did cause I was about a 5.5 and was able to get in the tub! It felt amazing. I melted into the water. I labored in the tub for several hours moving around into different positions.

When I was pregnant I had read this book by Inna May Gaskin where they talk about the mind/body connection. The basic concept is that your mind is so powerful in its ability to affect the body that you can actually stall your labor. By fighting against your contractions they can become less effective but if you relax during them they are able to better do their job which is to open your cervix. I also read a book called hypno-birthing which talks about the power of visualization. I had this mental image I held on to and that was that I was kneeling in the surf of a torrential storm. The powerful waves crashing into me were bringing my little one closer to me. If I fought against them or tensed up they would crash me into the rocks. If I accepted them and relaxed letting them meet me they would bring me that much closer to my baby. The other thing I would tell myself over and over is “its almost over, don’t fight it. This one is almost done and the more relaxed I am the sooner my baby girl will be in my arms” One time it really hit me that I was about to meet my long anticipated little one and this overwhelming love and gratitude came over me. I began telling her “I love you so much Skylar, I can’t wait to meet you! You are so welcomed, so wanted. I can’t wait to kiss you and hug you and feel your fuzzy head on my lips and kiss your belly” This moment was captured in a picture

During each contraction I would get really nauseated and ended up puking a lot. But it turns out wretching actually helps move things along. It was bad enough that they were talking about starting an I.V. but I agreed to drink more if it would help me avoid an i.v. It’s a good thing we didn’t do one cause at one point I got really hot and wanted out of the tub. I crawled into bed and tried to relax with the heating pad

Within minutes my contractions began hitting one on top of the other on top of the other and they were awful. All I could do was moan LOUDLY. Cathy (midwife) said “oh that sounds like pushing” came over and checked me and sure enough I was a 10. They told me “ok Kristyn this is gonna happen fast so do you want to try to get back in the tub or stay here?” I did NOT want to move at all but I had wanted a water birth as long as I could remember so I reluctantly agreed to get up and move to the pool

I collapsed into the tub and began pushing. It hurt worse than it did the first time and it occurred to me that my water had never broken. During pushing Andrew was whispering sweet words of love and encouragement into my ear telling me that I was so strong and beautiful and I was doing so good. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

I pushed for what felt like an eternity and with intense stinging pain her head and arm came out, then with one more push the rest of her came out. She was born in the bag! I had wanted that to happen but didn’t think it was possible! It broke the second her feet came out so as she was pulling her out of the water my midwife was peeling the bag off her face.
She handed her to me and I fell madly in love.

We spent about an hour in the tub just staring at each other, nursing, letting the cord completely stop pulsing and the placenta delivered before Andrew cut the cord. He finally got to hold his little girl for the first time, then she got weighed and checked out while I got cleaned up and moved to the bed and of course updated you ladies asap

This is our awesome birth team

After all was said and done, finally having her here was pure joy and relief

She is so amazing and we are madly in love with our little family of four.

About 24 hours later Hailey got to meet her baby sister for the first time and it was love at first sight. She gave her one of her babies offered to give her “her milk” and has been smothering her with kisses. Of course she had to check to see if I still had a baby in my tummy

I loved this birth. It went so well I might actually consider doing it again Thanks for reading!
CARLACB likes this.

August 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
what an amazing story and great pictures!

August 29th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Love love love the picture of you and Andrew looking at each other right after she was born!!

And I'm so happy you got the birth you wanted!! <3 I know how much you were wanting that to avoid induction!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

August 29th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
I'm creeping in all the way from over in March DDC! Your story is so beautiful and amazing... and basically exactly what I hope my birth is like. My husband and I have midwives and a doula, and would like to do a home birth and this is definitely inspirational. Congrats xoxo
August 29th, 2013, 09:00 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your birth story brought tears to my eyes! oh my gosh, so beautiful! thanks for letting me live vicariously through you haha. She is beautiful and you are one amazing mama. I love all the pictures. Such great moments to cherish forever!

Ps--You looked AMAZING at 41 weeks pregnant! You rock!
August 29th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Way to go mama! Beautiful birth story

August 29th, 2013, 09:33 PM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
What a great birth story and your pictures are amazing! I am a soo jealous you got to have a water birth! I really wanted a water birth too

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!
August 29th, 2013, 11:47 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
Wonderful birth story and beautiful pictures! Thank you so much for sharing everything with us <3 you!!!!!!!

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
September 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran
Wow! What an amazing birth story! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl
October 16th, 2013, 08:36 PM
MissCiara's Avatar It's A Girl!
Truly amazing!!! I enjoyed it!!! :-) Beautiful girls.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search