NaNoWriMo

TTCMA Downtime

A place to chat and share non TTC related conversation.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTCMA Downtime LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone participating in Nano this year? If so are you a planner or a pantser? One story I'm planning on writing I've been telling orally for years so I feel like I've planned it out without actually doing it. The other I'm completely pantsing and don't know much other than the basic idea. I don't think my first story is going to make it to 50k which is why I have two story ideas.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 18th, 2013, 01:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I guess I'm not doing any of that because I feel like you are speaking another language What is Nano?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

October 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Haha nanowrimo stands for national novel writing month. The goal is to write 50,000 words in the month of November. There are generally two ways to go about this, either planning or pantsing, although obviously there is a middle ground. Planners spend a lot of time before November planning what they're going to write. Doing chapter outlines, character bios, world building, stuff like that. Pantsers "fly by the seat of their pants" and just start writing and see where it takes them. They don't take any time to prepare.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 18th, 2013, 02:55 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
That sounds like so much fun! I used to write a lot and hope to get back to it someday.

I am a big planner, though...I need my outlines or I'd be lost

Can you give us the scoop on what you are writing, or is that best saved until the end of November?

Melissa & DH

October 18th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Both of my ideas are ghost stories! The first one is actually based on my childhood home. It's about this couple who start noticing a young man (14ish) standing under the lamp post at the end of their dead end street, but he's only there when it's raining. Eventually they call the police but when they get there they can't see anybody. Through the grapevine they find out that several years ago before they moved in, a guy that age was walking down the railroad tracks on his way home from a friends house when it started raining. He called his mom to come pick up him and she told him to wait under the lamp post until she could get there. Unfortunately a drunk driver came down the street and hit him, so his ghost has been waiting for his mom ever since. The couple get understandably freaked out and decide getting the city to remove the lamp post will solve their problem. They do just that and months go by without any sign of him. That is, until they drive home one night in the rain and see he's moved under their porch light! It always goes over well when told orally so I'm hoping I can turn it into a decent short story/novella.

My other story I don't know much about yet, but I came up the the idea not long after my miscarriage. I tried writing it back then but just couldn't do it. Basically there's a woman who has been TTC a long time. She finally gets pregnant and everything seemingly goes well. She starts to feel the baby move and is overjoyed. Unfortunately a while later she goes for an ultrasound and there's no heartbeat. The doctor says the baby probably died a week ago, which really confuses her because she's been able to feel it move the whole time. Eventually she figures out she can still feel the baby move because it's a ghost and it's stuck there. I'm not really sure what's going to happen after that.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ooh...I'm intrigued. I can imagine the first one as a really scary movie!

Melissa & DH

October 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah I think it could make a good scary movie too! I'll be happy if I can just get it written and maybe one day self publish on Amazon or something. I'm really interested to see where the second one goes when I start writing it. I think I may do it in second person (with the baby being the "you") but I've never written second person before.

If you're interested in giving it a shot they have Camp Nano in the summer, where you set your own word goal instead of having to do 50k. So you can get back into writing without the fear of failing.

TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 29th, 2013, 06:07 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
Hi there I'm doing Nano as well My story is going to be a chicklit novel - we'll see how it goes! I've done Nano several years, but I generally don't win - it's more about the experience and trying :yes:

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

November 8th, 2013, 02:13 AM
mrs.ceebee.0915's Avatar waiting for a miracle...
How is the writing going ladies?
ttc and start our family since august 2011 <3
-
3 yr ttc anniversary
--
currently: just had my hysteroscopy, now back to waiting...

Hoping to do an IVF cycle before the end of the year!
November 23rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Not going well for me. Not going at all at this point lol. I only got to 4002 words before I decided to quit and try again another month. We found a neglected dog on Halloween and have been going through a lot dealing with that, plus I'm in constant pain from my endo that even my pain meds don't deal with sometimes, and I got the letter saying my disability was declined so I'm working on the appeal. I really didn't think I'd get that till December.

TTC Blog
10-21-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search